The "Last" FM-2 Wildcat

Thread: The "Last" FM-2 Wildcat

The "Last" FM-2 Wildcat

Hi All,
    I realize I said that I had done the last FM-2. However, I painted this one up as a gift to Kelti for all the help he has given me in the past. After sending him the textures, he has urged me to upload it. So, here is the "last" FM-2 Wildcat. It's flown by Lt. Leo M. Ferko of VC-4 off the USS White Plains, CVE-66. He ended the war with 5 air to air victories. A side note, after the demise of the White Plains, he landed on the Kadashan Bay and flew with VC-20 until reassignment. I will enclose a set of blanks and some other goodies, so you can make your own versions. Since these screenshots were taken, I have made some minor refinements. I'll have to package it all up and get it uploaded. I have to send Kelti the newest textures. So, after he gets his, you'll get yours. In the future, if there is enough interest, I'll upload a set of blank textures for the Atlantic and Pacific with some decal sheets so you can have some fun with them, don't rip the decals.
    Thanks in advance for all the interest you all have shown in Allen's FM-2 and my repaints.
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FM-2 ferko.jpg   FM-2 ferko a.jpg  
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

48.800 N, 118.612 W. North Central Washington State, USA

Last" Wildcat

Bub, you are a true gentleman. Thank You!
    AAF Lament:

"Glory! No more regulations!
    Rip them down at every station!
    Ground the guy that tries to make one!
    And LET US FLY LIKE HELL!"

From "There I Was...Flat On My Back" by Bob Stevens

Tune: Battle Hymn of the Republic

Glad to see the girl get many changes of clothes!
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Lovely work as always. Can't wait to try this one. Thanks Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    Hi All,
    I realize I said that I had done the last FM-2. However, I painted this one up as a gift to Kelti for all the help he has given me in the past. After sending him the textures, he has urged me to upload it. So, here is the "last" FM-2 Wildcat. It's flown by Lt. Leo M. Ferko of VC-4 off the USS White Plains, CVE-66. He ended the war with 5 air to air victories. A side note, after the demise of the White Plains, he landed on the Kadashan Bay and flew with VC-20 until reassignment. I will enclose a set of blanks and some other goodies, so you can make your own versions. Since these screenshots were taken, I have made some minor refinements. I'll have to package it all up and get it uploaded. I have to send Kelti the newest textures. So, after he gets his, you'll get yours. In the future, if there is enough interest, I'll upload a set of blank textures for the Atlantic and Pacific with some decal sheets so you can have some fun with them, don't rip the decals.
    Thanks in advance for all the interest you all have shown in Allen's FM-2 and my repaints.
    Bob

Very nice.What time period is this skin for? June 44? or little after.Ask because of my forthcoming CVE campaign which covers invasion of Saipan and likely will include some Guam missions as well.Next phase in future will cover Leyte and Philippines.

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano

Icon26 Way to go, Bub!

She looks great also with the red-outlined, late 1943, star n' bar roundels! I wonder if there were real FM-2's wearing them with the 3-tone dress.

Cheers!
    KH

My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Hi All,
    As Eeyore says, "Thanks for noticin' ". My history was a little off. The White Plains was damaged during Leyte Gulf and headed to Manus Island for repairs. Ferko apparently landed on the Kadashan Bay for other reasons and stayed until rejoining his Squadron. At the time of the battle, some squadrons had not repainted over to the solid sea blue scheme. White Plains was one of them. Kelti, I'm sure the red edged roundels were used and promptly painted out. They were only used for several months before going all blue. So, any would be correct, only for a short time.
    Thanks again,
    Bob
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

"Just one more" You'll have another one for us before the year is out

Another masterpiece guv'nor

Stef,

According to this site:

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/W...F4FColors.html

The few that had the red outline insignia were repainted rather quickly. The FM-2 went into production in mid-43, & the official insignia changed in Sep/Oct 43, so any new production from that date wouldn't have sported red outlines.
    The production line switched to overall Gloss Sea Blue in mid-44, & I doubt the tri-colour birds were ever repainted in front line use, more likely replaced & used in the 2nd line for training with new markings (if enough hours remained on the airframe).

Bub,

"As Eeyore says, "Thanks for noticin' "." Luv the quote - luvin' the repaints more...

Uploaded

Hi All,

Just uploaded Ferko's FM-2. Thanks to all for your kind words. I appreciate it. And, most of all, to Kelti for urging me to upload these. Have fun with these and Allen's FM-2 Wildcat.

Bub

FM-2 Wildcat_"Triangle 7".zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Skins - American

Description: Hi All,

Here's a representation of a FM-2 Wildcat flown by Lt. Leo M. Ferko of VC-4, off the USS White Plains, CVE-66. He ended the war with 5 air to air victories. Many thanks to Kelticheart for urging me to upload this . These textures are for the FM-2 Wildcat by Allen and can be found here at the Outhouse. They represent the scheme used by this squadron around the time of the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

Also included are, a set of blank textures and a damage overlay. Some 1943 roundels are also included.

Thanks to all who made this possible.

Have fun,

Bub

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FM-2 Wildcat_"Triangle 7".zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Icon22 Reply...

Bub,

Outstanding job on this, thank you.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Skins - American

Description: Hi All,

Here's a representation of a FM-2 Wildcat flown by Lt. Leo M. Ferko of VC-4, off the USS White Plains, CVE-66. He ended the war with 5 air to air victories. Many thanks to Kelticheart for urging me to upload this . These textures are for the FM-2 Wildcat by Allen and can be found here at the Outhouse. They represent the scheme used by this squadron around the time of the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

Also included are, a set of blank textures and a damage overlay. Some 1943 roundels are also included.

Thanks to all who made this possible.

Have fun,

Bub

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FM-2 Wildcat_"Triangle 7".zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Very nice. Any idea if this psint scheme would be appropriate for CVE squadrons in June 1944?

Quote Originally Posted by dasuto247 View Post
    Very nice. Any idea if this psint scheme would be appropriate for CVE squadrons in June 1944?
    Wiki says. Blue Gray and Light Gray was used from the start of war to January 5, 1943 (No FM-2 would have this). Tri-color paint was used from January 5, 1943 to June 26, 1944. (Skins in this thread) Glossy Sea Blue was used from June 26, 1944 to the end of the war.

It is also worth noting these dates are for new aircraft being made. Those already in the in the field would have likey kept the paint they had tell a major overhall or when back in safe waters like Pearl Harbor or State Side.

For any action taking place in June 1944 all USN Pac aircraft would be Tri-color for the most part with maybe a few old birds still using Blue Gray and Light Gray.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Many thanks for uploading Bub. Your work is very much appreciated.

msfossey

Dasuto,
    Everything said above about the paint schemes is "correct". Older squadrons in the field would have retained their tri-color until relieved or given a complete refit. New arriving squadrons would be in the current paint scheme. At Leyte Gulf you would have had a mix of tri-color and overall gloss sea blue. The White Plains and Kitkun Bay were still in the tri-color scheme, and others. The Kadashan Bay's FM-2's were overall sea blue and the Avengers still in the tri-color scheme. So, just because the directive changed, doesn't mean it happened all at once. I'm sure that after Leyte, the paint guns came out or the new arrivals were in the "proper" scheme.
    Below is a chart that may help. I must have deleted the second half, but you'll get the idea.
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1940s USN Paint and Markings with letters.jpg  

Dasuto,
    Everything said above about the paint schemes is "correct". Older squadrons in the field would have retained their tri-color until relieved or given a complete refit. New arriving squadrons would be in the current paint scheme. At Leyte Gulf you would have had a mix of tri-color and overall gloss sea blue. The White Plains and Kitkun Bay were still in the tri-color scheme, and others. The Kadashan Bay's FM-2's were overall sea blue and the Avengers still in the tri-color scheme. So, just because the directive changed, doesn't mean it happened all at once. I'm sure that after Leyte, the paint guns came out or the new arrivals were in the "proper" scheme.
    Below is a chart that may help. I must have deleted the second half, but you'll get the idea.
    Bob

Thanks, this was helpful.

Members who have read this thread: 0