Is anyone here still flying the F-11 Tiger from AS?

Thread: Is anyone here still flying the F-11 Tiger from AS?

Is anyone here still flying the F-11 Tiger from AS?

I'm having a hard time landing this one on a carrierdeck!

Cees

Blog Entries
    What's your weight state (fuel)?

Do you have some wind in your weather?

Is your carrier sailing into said wind?

dl

Yes, all three conditions are in order, but when I land the plane falls to a side after catching the wire?

Cees

Blog Entries
    I actually was asking for how much fuel/weight you're coming aboard on, as part of trying to diagnose this.

So again, what's your weight?

What speed are you at when over the fantail?

Also, what carrier(s)?

Also, paste on here your tailhook settings/coordinates.

I'll check tonight against my own - I recall no particular issues, but will reload the plane and try.

dl

Okay DL,

Here's the scores

Weight: 10921 kilograms
    Speed: 120-125 knts
    Carrier: Nimitz

[TailHook]
    tailhook_length = 4
    tailhook_position = -15, 0, -1
    cable_force_adjust = 1

Cees

That rolling into the deck after what seems to be a good trap is weird and been happening to me with various aircraft and carriers. Am experimenting with increasing the cable force adjust to great than 1.0 for example 1.4. Not sure that's the solution though.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I don't know if it was luck, but maybe this is a solution: I shortened the the hook with one foot and made a perfect landing without rolling into the deck....

Cees

Edit: Nah, it was luck guess.....

Blog Entries
    Hi Cees,

Tried it 30% fuel and got consistent, easy landings with a nice straight rollout of approx. 1.5 to 2 aircraft lengths. No pull to either side. I don't have the Nimitz installed anymore - but trying it on both the payware CVN-65 and CVN-63 - same results for both. Your approach speed is good, and if you're coming aboard with 20%-25% fuel, that should be plenty. I went with more because I knew I'd be doing a few launches.

I found that if I touched down too fast - anything over 145kts and I'd get a minor tip over (wing would roll enough to lift opposite landing gear up). Nothing too violent though, and again, your speeds are fine - in fact, I came in closer to 130kts, though mind you, with a bit more fuel.

I have crash detection off - it's not worth the time wasted that some carrier positioning causes - don't know if that's the factor at play - doubt it though.

My tailhook is as per yours:

[TailHook]
    tailhook_length = 4
    tailhook_position = -15, 0, -1
    cable_force_adjust = 1

Is your stick calibrated? Is there some funky yaw dialed in? Is your weight balanced L/R? I've seen that cause problems, though mostly on takeoff from runways.

Maybe just some more practice? Sorry I can't pinpoint it - everything seems to work fine for me.

dl

Is your stick calibrated? Is there some funky yaw dialed in?
    That is another thing for me to check - thanks DL. Understood that trapping too fast might cause the roll. However, with the "heavies" like the RA-5C and F-4 there is not much room for error on the slow side as the vertical fps increases too fast below eg 130 KIAS. Light fuel always helps. Been cutting it to as low as 2%. I am going to mod my navair planes with a fuel dump gauge Don B made for the AS F-8 panel mod that works well for this.

I like to have crash detection on - greater sense of reward, but yes when it goes wrong it is a pain, particularly on carriers that have some legacy or other "crash box" things lurking that surprise you with a nasty building crash (ugh) taxiing which we know the Collin/Lazarus Essex boats have.

I am enjoying at the moment Wombraider78's CV-64 Connie but find if I trap a little short I always get a crash. However this one has a much roomier deck than e.g., the O-boat so landing a little longer has sorted it out. Thinking of making her into a static scenery bgl and planting her on Yankee Station to run some SEA period AI off of. Did that with the Oriskany but not a lot of deck to park AI!

Sorry for the carrier random rambling but I just love this stuff and glad others here do too! We now have a much better variety of WWII and cold war carriers to mess around with. Hooky's and others work with adding deck furniture hopefully will continue.

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Thanks DL. If I practice more than I already do, SWAMBO will tell me to get to bed in time instead of loosing sleep while flightsimming.

Cees

SWAMBO will tell me to get to bed in time instead of loosing sleep while flightsimming.
    Have the exact same issue here Cees! I call it "SOS" situation - "Spouse Over Shoulder." "How can you spend soooo much time playing that silly game"???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Have the exact same issue here Cees! I call it "SOS" situation - "Spouse Over Shoulder." "How can you spend soooo much time playing that silly game"???!!!
    silly.........................game................ .......whut??? man i go to bed some nights wishing i had someone next to me..............but then i wake in the morning and im sooo happy im alone........................cept fer da cat....shes always there...

Blog Entries
    Well, far be it from me to make the case for FSX over bedtime with one's wife! ... always wondered if I'd ever have use for that emoticon ... there now I have it ...

... moving right along ... ... I'm sure I've said it before, but just as carrier flying in real life comes with lots of training, it's no less true in the sim. Get your hands on the lovely freeware RFN Fouga CM. 175 Zephyr, or the payware T-2 Buckeye. Both, (but esp the Zephyr) are reasonably tame aircraft with higher aspect ratio wings (versus full-fledged jet fighters or attack aircraft).

Fly the pants off those at FCLP a few dozen patterns, then off to a carrier a few dozen miles off the coast. Fly the pattern as TnG, without trapping (hook up) to get a rhythm for the speeds at the various milestones around the carrier pattern. Do that a dozen or so times, then do 3-4 traps. Most folks rush to try and trap - when they spend a lot of aggravation trying to get the plane in the groove. Get good at getting in the groove, and the trap will take care of itself.

That way, your flying time is more productive/enjoyable. Some folks would rather spend 4 frustrating hours trying to put an F-4 on deck. I say, spend 3 calmers getting good on a trainer and then one hour on the F-4 = 4 better spent hours. Thus, every hour you spend thereafter on the F-4 will be more enjoyable. But that's just me ... Just a suggestion.

Glad you're enjoying the naval flying, it truly is rewarding.

dl

Very good advice DL, I know because that's how I work. BTW, I can trap every plane: Crusader, Etendart, Fouga, Banshee, Corsair, Buckeye and so on, but the Tiger is a tough cookie.

Cees

Blog Entries
    Hi Cees,

Very odd, because I find the F-8 much harder to land than the F11F.

Are you trimmed properly on approach? Which tanks have fuel? If memory serves, the F11F had 2xwing and 2x fuselage tanks (in the sim, at least). I had fuel only in the centreline tanks, nothing in the wings. I'm just wondering if there's a funky moment happening between the forward velocity, the arresting force, and the nosewheel contact point. On a fairly light fighter with a highly loaded wing, have fuel/no fuel in the wing may contribute to some inertia issues, esp if you're in any way yawed in one way or the other on touchdown.

I'm all out ideas as to why it bucks forward so much.

cheers,

dl

The learning curve is completed.

Cees
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EVENTUALLY.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Nice!!

dl

I'll have a look at the Tiger's FDE. It may be time for an upgrade. As with most of the AS FDE's they were built for FS9 so many need to be brought up to speed (no pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    I'll have a look at the Tiger's FDE. It may be time for an upgrade. As with most of the AS FDE's they were built for FS9 so many need to be brought up to speed (no pun intended).
    That'd be great Mal!

Cees

Members who have read this thread: 0