Having trouble...

Thread: Having trouble...

Having trouble...

Trying to make the stock A6M2 skin work for the OH A6M2.I did this for others but having trouble here.Also, best settings to make long range flight in Zero from Rabaul to Guadalcanal(testing few missions I finished and never released, dealing with actions in response to landing on Guadalcanal August 42)

Hi dasuto247,

Just make a copy of A6m2_zero_t.bmp and name it A6m2_zero_r.bmp
    Do the same with A6m2_zero_d.bmp and name it A6m2_zero_b.bmp
    This will give you right and left textures
    You don't have to do anything to the rest of the bitmaps.

Hope this helps,
    B24Guy

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano

Long range missions

Quote Originally Posted by dasuto247 View Post
    ......Also, best settings to make long range flight in Zero from Rabaul to Guadalcanal......
    Hi Dasuto247,

according to Saburo Sakai, the Tainan Airgroup did a lot of experiments with fuel mixture settings and prop pitch, in order to get the necessary legs to reach Guadalcanal from Rabaul.

In his "Samurai!" book he wrote also that in their A6M2b's the radio equipment was taken out in order to save weight. For the same reason pilots routinely flew without parachutes. It's an horrifying thought for Westerners, yet Sakai in later interviews declared it was not a sign of blind fanaticism.

IJN standard parachute issue was very cumbersome. Fighter pilots had their movements inside the cockpit so impaired they could not react fast enough during dogfights. IJN orders imposed wearing a chute at all times and pilots who were caught flying without, faced harsh punishment. Tainan Airgoup pilots ignored such orders.

The experiments with flight settings by Tainan Kokkutai can be summarised as follows:

• fuel mixture reduced to just the bare minimum before the Sakae 12 started backfiring from fuel starvation,
    • rpm just enough to allow the engine drive the prop at maximum pitch;
    • allowable combat time at full power: not more than 10 minutes.

With such settings, the Zeros flew just fractions of mph before stall speed, always on the verge of engine cutout. Yet, they made it to Guadalcanal and back with just the full fuel load of their onboard tanks, plus the standard 300 litre ventral droptank.

It added immensely to the Zero myth and to the early war impression that one could encounter a Zero anywhere in the Southwestern Pacific.

Is it possible to reproduce all of this in a CFS2 mission? Not at all, if time warp is allowed. With time warp fuel consumption, fuel tank selection, mixture settings and prop pitch are not taken into account, as CFS2 sort of standardises everything. That's why several long-leg mission with time-warp almost invariably end into ditching after all the fuel is gone. Only real time missions could reproduce the Tainan Kokkutai experiences in mid-1942.
    Just like B-24 Ploesti oilfield bombing missions from North Africa to Romania and back. They must be flown real time to make it.

Is everybody around here willing to fly a real-time mission from Rabaul to Guadalcanal, have 10-15 minutes of combat and fly back? I don't remember exactly how many hours the whole mission took, according to Saburo Sakai. In front of the pc it will take a long, long time of slow flying, watching only empty oceans and a few islands here and there. Mmmmmm.......I don't know.

As several WWII aces wrote in their memoirs, flying in combat back then meant "hours of boredom punctuated by few moments of sheer terror".

You can edit the Zero airfile to reduce overall weight simulating a land-based A6M2b-T without radio equipment and a pilot without parachute. It will not suffice.

The other way might be an outright cheat, increasing fuel tank capacities and/or adding extra fuel tanks, plus
    reducing fuel weight in the Zero airfile.

Cheers!
    KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Quote Originally Posted by kelticheart View Post
    You can edit the Zero airfile to reduce overall weight simulating a land-based A6M2b-T without radio equipment and a pilot without parachute. It will not suffice.

The other way might be an outright cheat, increasing fuel tank capacities and/or adding extra fuel tanks, plus
    Another solution would be to start the mission in flight, something like mid-distance from the target. You would have 100% fuel then, which could allow you to wrap to the target area, fight and wrap back to your base. This is not quite realistic, but it's IMHO a better solution than alterate the airfile.

Quote Originally Posted by kelticheart View Post
    Hi Dasuto247,

according to Saburo Sakai, the Tainan Airgroup did a lot of experiments with fuel mixture settings and prop pitch, in order to get the necessary legs to reach Guadalcanal from Rabaul.

In his "Samurai!" book he wrote also that in their A6M2b's the radio equipment was taken out in order to save weight. For the same reason pilots routinely flew without parachutes. It's an horrifying thought for Westerners, yet Sakai in later interviews declared it was not a sign of blind fanaticism.

IJN standard parachute issue was very cumbersome. Fighter pilots had their movements inside the cockpit so impaired they could not react fast enough during dogfights. IJN orders imposed wearing a chute at all times and pilots who were caught flying without, faced harsh punishment. Tainan Airgoup pilots ignored such orders.

The experiments with flight settings by Tainan Kokkutai can be summarised as follows:

• fuel mixture reduced to just the bare minimum before the Sakae 12 started backfiring from fuel starvation,
    • rpm just enough to allow the engine drive the prop at maximum pitch;
    • allowable combat time at full power: not more than 10 minutes.

With such settings, the Zeros flew just fractions of mph before stall speed, always on the verge of engine cutout. Yet, they made it to Guadalcanal and back with just the full fuel load of their onboard tanks, plus the standard 300 litre ventral droptank.

It added immensely to the Zero myth and to the early war impression that one could encounter a Zero anywhere in the Southwestern Pacific.

Is it possible to reproduce all of this in a CFS2 mission? Not at all, if time warp is allowed. With time warp fuel consumption, fuel tank selection, mixture settings and prop pitch are not taken into account, as CFS2 sort of standardises everything. That's why several long-leg mission with time-warp almost invariably end into ditching after all the fuel is gone. Only real time missions could reproduce the Tainan Kokkutai experiences in mid-1942.
    Just like B-24 Ploesti oilfield bombing missions from North Africa to Romania and back. They must be flown real time to make it.

Is everybody around here willing to fly a real-time mission from Rabaul to Guadalcanal, have 10-15 minutes of combat and fly back? I don't remember exactly how many hours the whole mission took, according to Saburo Sakai. In front of the pc it will take a long, long time of slow flying, watching only empty oceans and a few islands here and there. Mmmmmm.......I don't know.

As several WWII aces wrote in their memoirs, flying in combat back then meant "hours of boredom punctuated by few moments of sheer terror".

Cheers!
    KH

Well I include warp for tlong missions for those that do not want to or dont have time to fly the whole mission.Flying it with time acceleration x4 and it goes by fairly quick, that is how I fly my missions.I will admit to setting autopilot heading and altitude hold, then multi tasking, but also requires pay attention for upcoming waypoint/turn etc and developments that occur on the way. I fly some of them, helps get a feel for different planes and makes missions go better.Findsit makes for a challenging and immersive mission.All the boredom, then combat, then the trip home.Trying to manage fuel. I believe the stock/OHA6M could make it with the drop tank.I nearly made it to Guadalcanal flying on the drop tank with fuel to spare in DT at 13,000 feet, 135 knots, very lean mixture, 1800 RPM, 45-50% on throttle.Would have made it and likely made it home it home if not shut down, but when the Bettys started flying weird and colliding after our turn I quit the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by The B24 Guy View Post
    Hi dasuto247,

Hope this helps,
    B24Guy
    Thanks, will try that

Icon17

Essential for anyone wanting to fly long range missions & not wanting to use warp is Bill Potvins CFO Weather

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/Cfsops/Module...Weather_75.htm

Besides the other goodies in this module, you get the full set of time compression options used in the civil MSFS (up to 64 x time compression).

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Essential for anyone wanting to fly long range missions & not wanting to use warp is Bill Potvins CFO Weather

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/Cfsops/Module...Weather_75.htm

Besides the other goodies in this module, you get the full set of time compression options used in the civil MSFS (up to 64 x time compression).
    Very cool, never knew about this.One issue is though cant use autopilot above 4x time compression

CFO caused my Mission Builder be beome unstable. I could start it and and edit just fine but only could seem to test fly a mission 2 or 3 time before it would crash when loading back into MB after a test fly.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    CFO caused my Mission Builder be beome unstable. I could start it and and edit just fine but only could seem to test fly a mission 2 or 3 time before it would crash when loading back into MB after a test fly.
    No problems from it so far, enjoying it.Just iwsh could use higher time compression with AP on, but oh well.

Update

Flew from Rabaul to Guadalcanal in stock A6M2, engaged in 20-30 minutes of combat, downing 2 F4F4 and 1 SBD and taking damage from the rear gunner of my prey's wingman and one nice flak hit from a transport below us, flew back home.Landed with 13 percent fuel on board.The drop tank got me to Guadalcanal with 18 percent fuel still left when I dropped it.Flew at 130-135 knots KIAS, 1700 RPM , lean mixture as possible and 47-50 throttle.Likely would have had more fuel on board(not much but more) if engine had not taken a hit but lost some power, had to use more throttle to keep enough airspeed to stay flying.Flew all way back to Rabaul.

Mission kind of repeated Saburo Sakai's mission that day .Downed two F4F, found some SBD's and attacked, shot down the leader, while pulling up to avoid the fireball, his wingman's rear gunner fired, hits on wings, elevators and pilot.Soon after a well placed flak burst hit me causing white smoke and hydraulic fluid to pour out for a few.Wingman covered me as we headed for home.

Withe G4M AI problem solved and settings to make the trip, should be ready to release missions shortly.Need to test the OH A6M and see how it compares.

Quote Originally Posted by The B24 Guy View Post
    Hi dasuto247,

Hope this helps,
    B24Guy
    Worked for the right side, but left still has blue stripes.?

Hi Dasuto247,

If the right side is the way what you want. You can use it to make a new left side texture.

The A6m2_zero_r.bmp is your right side texture. Make a copy of it and rename it A6m2_zero_t.bmp. (new left side texture)

A6m2_zero_b.bmp is the right side damage texture. Make a copy and rename it A6m2_zero_d.bmp. (new left side damage texture)

Make sure all four texture files are in the texture folder. (r,t,b,d)

Hope this helps,
    B24Guy

Members who have read this thread: 1