Simshed Shorts Tucano T1

Thread: Simshed Shorts Tucano T1

Simshed Shorts Tucano T1

We have recently seen, thank to Falcon409, a resurgence of RAF trainers (Jet Provost and Folland Gnat). A third superlative trainer is the freeware Simshed Shorts Tucano T1. It is a beautiful model (and IMHO much more aesthetically attractive than either the long nosed rear canopied North American T-6A or Pilatus PC-9A). All the gauges work in a very nice VC, no model holes and a good FDE. MAIW has the Tucano's RAF Linton-on Ouse base (with Tucano AI) ready for you to download and fly from. HOWEVER (isn't there always something) the prop textures ("prop_backs.bmp" and "prop2_t.bmp") suffer from opacity (non-transparency) against the sky when in spot view. There doesn't seem to be an alpha-channel, and I haven't been able to find a usable prop substitute.

If you want a wonderful aircraft, this is the one - but we need someone more knowledgeable than myself to fix that pesky prop. Some of you talented guys should have an answer (please!).

Oh - the MAIW AI Tucano also has a bad prop texture. Bill

That "non-transparency" might be an mdl problem. If so there's no cure for that unless you have the source code. Hopefuly it can be corrected, but many times it does turn out to be a case of the material not being coded for transparency. . .the difference in how earlier models handled transparency as opposed to the newer stuff.

No follow-up from the OP so I imagine he had no success getting past the transparency problem. I used a different prop blur made for FSX and still had the same thing so as long as you don't fly from the nose of the airplane looking towards the tail it shouldn't be a problem, lol. Here's a redo of one of the 207 Sq. aircraft in hiRes.

I know no one really gives a flip about this, but it's a good place to vent since no ones paying any attention to the thread anyway. This airplane, according to one review I saw, maybe it was even on the Simshed website, claimed this to be payware quality and it may have been in it's heyday, but if I had been required to purchase this airplane and then found out how poorly the texture mapping was done I would have asked for a refund. I see now why the liveries that came with it were chosen. . .because anything with any wing or fancy fuselage designs would have been impossible. The rudder is mapped one way the remainder of the tail section is mapped another, so overlapping designs such as the Toucan on the 7FTS Display bird doesn't work because the main design looks fine but the remainder of the beak disappears and seems to be flipped upside down on a section of the tail. Designs that run from the wings leading edge down over the flaps and ailerons isn't possible because on a texture sheet large enough to fit each section of the flaps and ailerons as full textures or map the entire wing/flaps/aileron surface as one texture, they inexplicably made them small texture rectangles and squares that mirror. The airplane itself is nice but the texture mapping is abysmal. The repaints I've done, aside from the 207 Sq. "All Black" are modified versions of the actual airplane liveries because they can't be reproduced correctly. A shame they didn't take the extra time to do it right. . .or correct it after the release and come back with a small fix.

***flips***

see? i did give a flip.............

Hi Falcon,

You are correct that I haven't been able to correct the problem. However - I am extremely interested in getting the Hi Res work that you have done. I hope you make it available. I can send you a PM if you don't intend to put it up for download.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    Hi Falcon,
    . . . . . . I can send you a PM if you don't intend to put it up for download.
    Bill
    That works. I have one more I'm doing and then I'll send you a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    ***flips***

see? i did give a flip.............
    Ha ha, good one Daveroo!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I know no one really gives a flip about this, but it's a good place to vent since no ones paying any attention to the thread anyway. This airplane, according to one review I saw, maybe it was even on the Simshed website, claimed this to be payware quality and it may have been in it's heyday, but if I had been required to purchase this airplane and then found out how poorly the texture mapping was done I would have asked for a refund. I see now why the liveries that came with it were chosen. . .because anything with any wing or fancy fuselage designs would have been impossible. The rudder is mapped one way the remainder of the tail section is mapped another, so overlapping designs such as the Toucan on the 7FTS Display bird doesn't work because the main design looks fine but the remainder of the beak disappears and seems to be flipped upside down on a section of the tail. Designs that run from the wings leading edge down over the flaps and ailerons isn't possible because on a texture sheet large enough to fit each section of the flaps and ailerons as full textures or map the entire wing/flaps/aileron surface as one texture, they inexplicably made them small texture rectangles and squares that mirror. The airplane itself is nice but the texture mapping is abysmal. The repaints I've done, aside from the 207 Sq. "All Black" are modified versions of the actual airplane liveries because they can't be reproduced correctly. A shame they didn't take the extra time to do it right. . .or correct it after the release and come back with a small fix.
    I have to concur. Looks like a pain in the bum to even try painting...and the defaults are [as polite as I can put it] clumsy....jaggies and ill-fitting.

Coincidentally I was just messing with Tim Conrad's Super Tucano [native FSX] ..so for starters there's no issue with glass and prop. I was just doing a 'photo-real' widescreen ver of the 2D panel [not that I'm a fan of glass ones]...

It's a far better A/C for FSX [and its price is also just as right]

Here's what the Panel looks like so far - still have to add/animate a canopy...and a few other tweaks...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    I have to concur. Looks like a pain in the bum to even try painting...and the defaults are [as polite as I can put it] clumsy....jaggies and ill-fitting.

Coincidentally I was just messing with Tim Conrad's Super Tucano [native FSX] ..so for starters there's no issue with glass and prop. I was just doing a 'photo-real' widescreen ver of the 2D panel [not that I'm a fan of glass ones]...

It's a far better A/C for FSX [and its price is also just as right]

Here's what the Panel looks like so far - still have to add/animate a canopy...and a few other tweaks...
    Beautiful work there Jafo. Glad you mentioned Tim's Tucano. . .I was pretty sure he had done one, but I thought this was pretty decent and "how tough could it be to knock out a couple different liveries?" Yea right!! lol

OT a bit...but currently I'm drawing a 4096 res paintkit for Piglet's Tucano ....all's going well - no real quirks/issues .... Tim's too good for that...
    Here's one on the go...

Existed as an early paint...but so far can't find whether it's a real one or not.... no photos...

Awesome! Tim had a simple texture setup that made it pretty easy to repaint. Even reworking the paint kit would be relatively easy since most things are labeled and lines/rivets/decals are somewhat legible. Looks great Jafo!

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    ....Here's one on the go....Existed as an early paint...but so far can't find whether it's a real one or not.... no photos...
    Looking forward to your HD releases for this aircraft!

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Members who have read this thread: 0