New camera

Thread: New camera

New camera

This is what I bought today. Canon EOS 1200D. It comes with a 75-300mm zoom lens too. The one attached is the 18-55mm one. Just started reading the book. It's going to take a while to figure out! It doesn't come with a memory card, however, and I don't think it store any pics without one, i.e., no internal memory. Not sure about that, as I'm not done reading the book yet... Left is my old AE-1, which I have had for decades.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    You will definitely need to buy a memory card (4-8 Gb for starters should do) but then you'll be ready to enjoy your new purchase!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    You will definitely need to buy a memory card (4-8 Gb for starters should do) but then you'll be ready to enjoy your new purchase!
    Plus, it looks as if your camera will accept both SDHC and SDXC cards, so your Options are far and wide! Looks like an awesome choice!

Happy shooting!

Alan

Went back to Wallmart and bought a memory card. Of course, I was unable to resist buying the biggest one they had, 64GB. It says I can take 7000+ pics, lol. That should work. I was about to complain about the fact that you have to remove the battery from the camera and place into a separate device to charge it, but in fact that's a good thing, since it means I can bring two batteries to the air show and swap em out when the juice gets low. As luck would have it, Mr. Hooter the owl has been sitting in this tree in my yard all day, and I was able to test my 300mm zoom lens on him this afternoon. Zoom lens works...
    HP Reverb G2

Hey All,

Well Congrats! Always nice to take pictures a Hooters!

What is going to be your first L lens?

That is a big card - be sure to download it often - you can lose a lot if something goes wrong.

Photography is a great hobby! My old film camera was a Minolta - now I am a Fuji guy.

Here I'll show a bird as well... Actually there are two in the picture if you can see em.

Again Congrats! and Enjoy!

-Ed-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eag.jpg  
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

My experience with a previous version of this Canon is that the rechargeable batteries even with the flash being employed, last an extraordinarily long time.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Hey All,

Well Congrats! Always nice to take pictures a Hooters!

What is going to be your first L lens?

That is a big card - be sure to download it often - you can lose a lot if something goes wrong.

Photography is a great hobby! My old film camera was a Minolta - now I am a Fuji guy.

Here I'll show a bird as well... Actually there are two in the picture if you can see em.

Again Congrats! and Enjoy!

-Ed-
    Nice eagle pic Ed. I think Mr. Hooter has a nest somewhere nearby. he's always there, and often with another owl on another branch not far away, presumably Mrs. Hooter... As for L lenses, I had to Google that to learn what it was, lol. The two lenses that came with the camera will keep me busy for a while... Slowly learning what all the buttons do. Lots of "degrees of control" between full auto and full manual, which is nice.
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    My experience with a previous version of this Canon is that the rechargeable batteries even with the flash being employed, last an extraordinarily long time.
    This is turning out to be my experience as well. The battery still shows fully charged after a few days of playing with it.
    HP Reverb G2

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Try thinking about a 16GB card. The others fill up too fast.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

If I may put my toe in the water here...I prefer fast cards nowadays. Both of my cameras are only 16mp so the RAW image files don't require huge cards. I don't like to go smaller than 16mb because I only shoot RAW.

But having a fast memory card is good for burst shooting and video.

Blog Entries
    I have found that for the price the 32 gb cards are the best value. You can often find them on sale, at B&H, Amazon, or Adorama.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I think it comes down to personal preference for cards unless you have a specific requirement for number of pics you need to fit.
    Big cards = more to lose if something goes wrong. At the same time, not often a memory card will fail but you could easily leave one behind somewhere or unknowingly drop it. I left an entire camera bag behind once at a zoo on a weekend. 20 minutes later, I realized what I had done and by a complete miracle, it was still there!
    I run 2x32gig cards in my slots. Another 2x32gig to switch over too and then finally 2x16gig for the third switch. The remainder of cards if I ever require them I use 16gig.
    I could go larger in card size but the risk would be too great if something did happen.

The other limitation to Memory Card size is the Camera itself. Both the Nikon D40 and the Panasonic Lumix P & S I own only accept SD Cards up to 4Gb, which were typical of older Cameras. However, I haven't run into an instance where I've come close to filling one up!

Alan

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPilot2 View Post
    However, I haven't run into an instance where I've come close to filling one up!

Alan
    But...
    The RAW files on those older cameras are smaller too - hence why in part, you haven't filled one up...

Members who have read this thread: 0