Up and Running in XP Again

Thread: Up and Running in XP Again

Up and Running in XP Again

I finally made one of my hard drives XP again and reloaded a pristine CFS2 in each of my war theaters.

I am now rebuilding them BPF first and the rest as I can from all of y'alls' campaigns, some of Rami's beta stuff right after BPF 'cause they are fun to fly.

In the process I only lost Iceberg 2 missions, which I wasn't really happy with anyway, (maybe 6 missions), so I can build them better from scratch in XP.

If anyone wants to build a harbor and airbase at Miyakijima Hirara for use in the campaign I would really appreciate the help.

There are aerial photos from the war online, or I have a couple in my folder I can send to a scenery/airbase builder.

The town and airbase are on the north side of the island.

Now that I have completed my master degree requirements and been awarded the degree, I am only substitute teaching as needed and am otherwise officially retired and can devote a bit more time to my CFS2 hobby.

Of course riding the Beast around central Florida also is a hobby now that the weather is getting a bit cooler, 80s instead of 90s.

The Beast has a bit of heat coming off those two big cylinders below the gas tank. Above 90 degrees F I get cooked from top and bottom.
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

SOH-CM-2023
    Sorry 'bout that !! My 1983 Honda CB1000 Custom does NOT cook anything, whether moving or stopped for a red light. Best bike I ever owned !! They'll bury it with me.

I just like to welcome you back to the best OS to be made. Why any one would willing leave XP I'll never know....
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    Sorry 'bout that !! My 1983 Honda CB1000 Custom does NOT cook anything, whether moving or stopped for a red light. Best bike I ever owned !! They'll bury it with me.
    I KNOW what you mean. I had a 1986 Honda Goldwing GL1200. Best bike I have owned. The hydro-clutch started leaking right before we moved to Germany.
    Germany does NOT allow any vehicle leaks. They will pull your plates until it is fixed properly. So, I left the Wing with my nephew.
    A friend had a 2009 Suzuki C109RT in mint condition with only 60 miles on it. He tore up his left knee and couldn't lift the Beast off the stand any more, so offered me a deal.
    It was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. I had enough weight left on my household goods shipment to have it shipped to Germany.

It has seen Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and France. It is a great bike, but just not a Wing.
    Devildog73

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog73 View Post
    I finally made one of my hard drives XP again and reloaded a pristine CFS2 in each of my war theaters.

I am now rebuilding them BPF first and the rest as I can from all of y'alls' campaigns, some of Rami's beta stuff right after BPF 'cause they are fun to fly.

In the process I only lost Iceberg 2 missions, which I wasn't really happy with anyway, (maybe 6 missions), so I can build them better from scratch in XP.

If anyone wants to build a harbor and airbase at Miyakijima Hirara for use in the campaign I would really appreciate the help.

There are aerial photos from the war online, or I have a couple in my folder I can send to a scenery/airbase builder.

The town and airbase are on the north side of the island.

Now that I have completed my master degree requirements and been awarded the degree, I am only substitute teaching as needed and am otherwise officially retired and can devote a bit more time to my CFS2 hobby.

Of course riding the Beast around central Florida also is a hobby now that the weather is getting a bit cooler, 80s instead of 90s.

The Beast has a bit of heat coming off those two big cylinders below the gas tank. Above 90 degrees F I get cooked from top and bottom.
    Hey pal, what missions have you lost?
    I still have all that you sent me. Tell me at which numbers have you lost.
    I will e-mail them to you.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Pirnie View Post
    Hey pal, what missions have you lost?
    I still have all that you sent me. Tell me at which numbers have you lost.
    I will e-mail them to you.
    John
    Thanks John,
    I will go through and see.
    Basically all of the Iceberg 2 missions.
    I have all of the Iceberg 1 and Oolongs, (I think).
    I end with Oolong 5g.
    Lee

PS
    I am thinking of releasing Iceberg 1 and the Oolongs each as separate campaigns, which would give us all BPF Meridian and three Iceberg Campaigns.
    Your thoughts?
    Problem missions you have flown that need additional work?
    Devildog73

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I just like to welcome you back to the best OS to be made. Why any one would willing leave XP I'll never know....
    Still got one laptop and a desktop running XP, but....I'll stick with Win7Pro for now.....

We're the reverse - riding around in a delightful spring while it's still 70's and 80's - no fun when it's 95 +!
    Mines more a comfy old warhorse (Yamaha XJR1300) than a beast - something the wife can jump on when she's tired from riding her flighty Fazer 1000 or Triumph Street Triple. Old Blue will always get you home!

Sure Win7 works for playing but it don't let you build any thing. Most of the tools for make things seem to not work on Win7 and up.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano

What about your pc?

I finally made one of my hard drives XP again and reloaded a pristine CFS2 in each of my war theaters......
    Hi DD73!

May I ask you what kind of hardware platform your XP is running?

I am still running CFS2 under XP-Pro and I don't even want to hear about another OS for CFS2. I have been looking far and wide for a valid replacement to my almost 13-year old pc, before it's too late.

Almost invariably, I received answers that XP will never run on anything that's more recent than 8-9 years ago. I haven't been able to find 8-9 year old hardware yet. Everything on the used market here is more recent than that.

The best suggestion I heard was a new machine with a truckload of RAM to build a virtual pc with. Then install and run XP on the virtual pc.

But how would CFS2 fare on a virtual pc, even with a XP OS? I am afraid of finding out........

Thank you!
    KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Quote Originally Posted by kelticheart View Post
    Hi DD73!

May I ask you what kind of hardware platform your XP is running?

I am still running CFS2 under XP-Pro and I don't even want to hear about another OS for CFS2. I have been looking far and wide for a valid replacement to my almost 13-year old pc, before it's too late.

Almost invariably, I received answers that XP will never run on anything that's more recent than 8-9 years ago. I haven't been able to find 8-9 year old hardware yet. Everything on the used market here is more recent than that.

The best suggestion I heard was a new machine with a truckload of RAM to build a virtual pc with. Then install and run XP on the virtual pc.

But how would CFS2 fare on a virtual pc, even with a XP OS? I am afraid of finding out........

Thank you!
    KH
    KH,
    I am running on a Dell Dimension XPS 410 (and yes, it is about 8-10 years old), upgraded to 6Gb of RAM (3Gb in XP 32 bit). It has an Intel 2.4 Gb dual core 2 CPU. I have added an nVidia GeForce 9800GT video card with on-board 1Gb of vid RAM. My sound card is an add-on Diamond 7.1, which is listed as a C-media card. The XP 32bit OS is on a Western Digital 500Gb 7200 RPM HD. Windows 7X64 is on a Seagate 500Gb 7200 RPM HD.

Occasionally in CFS2 it will lock on a screen and on audio and I have to shut it down and reboot it to unlock the screen. I am not sure which of the add-on cards is doing it, the video card or the sound card.
    The motherboard has built in video card and built in audio, but I haven't been irritated enough to switch to them while running in XP, ...(yet)...
    Lee
    Devildog73

Semper Fi

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    KH,
    I am running on a Dell Dimension XPS 410 (and yes, it is about 8-10 years old), upgraded to 6Gb of RAM (3Gb in XP 32 bit). It has an Intel 2.4 Gb dual core 2 CPU. I have added an nVidia GeForce 9800GT video card with on-board 1Gb of vid RAM. My sound card is an add-on Diamond 7.1, which is listed as a C-media card. The XP 32bit OS is on a Western Digital 500Gb 7200 RPM HD. Windows 7X64 is on a Seagate 500Gb 7200 RPM HD.

Occasionally in CFS2 it will lock on a screen and on audio and I have to shut it down and reboot it to unlock the screen. I am not sure which of the add-on cards is doing it, the video card or the sound card.
    The motherboard has built in video card and built in audio, but I haven't been irritated enough to switch to them while running in XP, ...(yet)...
    Lee
    Roger that, DD73!

Thank you!
    KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Members who have read this thread: 0