If you think about buying addons from the Steamstore.. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you think about buying addons from the Steamstore..

Quote Originally Posted by jandmbear View Post
    What is the benefit to using Steam? I have FSX on disk and after hearing all these horror stories, I wonder what the benefit would be to ever buying FSX or any other sim on Steam?
    I own about two dozen games that I bought on Steam (including FSX) and never had any trouble with any of them.

The Steam edition of FSX brings along a few updates that will reduce the frequency "out of memory" errors with complex add-ons.
    I wouldn't pay full price for it, but for 5 bucks, FSXSE is a great backup option in case your physical FSX disks ever go bad.

I wonder how Steam tabulate their usage. I purchased FSX for $5 some long time ago as an insurance against my CD's going tits up. I installed it but have never even used it. Steam shows my usage at 10 hours.
    I note also that DCS seem to be shying away from issuing future items on Steam.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I purchased FSX for $5 some long time ago as an insurance against my CD's going tits up. I installed it but have never even used it.
    Same here, except I haven't even installed it.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Steam shows my usage at 10 hours.
    I think that happens when you have Steam and any fsx.exe running at the same time. So you can basically rack up hours in FSXSE without ever using it.

I have won the dispute! I dropped a claim at PP, with arguments, and they ruled in my favor. What a relief!

Cees

BTW: Dovetail has a very poor policy in solving these cases, none whatsoever, and the same applies to Steam. The only solution
    was to file a complaint about my payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    I wonder how Steam tabulate their usage. I purchased FSX for $5 some long time ago as an insurance against my CD's going tits up. I installed it but have never even used it. Steam shows my usage at 10 hours.
    I note also that DCS seem to be shying away from issuing future items on Steam.
    Negative. All future DCS modules will release on steam. Some of them will only be available to pre-purchase from ED store.
    1.5 beta was released on steam at the exact same time as the client downloaded from ED.

Hi,

I got a cheap promotion of FSX steam to see. I installed it on a brand new portable pc with W10 and it is the worse choice of my life. I think i am in the hands of big brother ....never more steam for all games or simulators! I prefer my FSX Gold on DVD installed on my home PC, a desk one.

JMC

You need to keep in mind that Steam isn't tracking the individual DLC that you are having problems with when calculating the two-hour usage before refund window. If you flew it for five minutes but then flew something else for a few hours as far as they are concerned, you have been using "it" for those few hours. You probably don't even have to fly it once for the clock to start. Once it is downloaded and you start the game the clock is running.

I've been using Steam to source DoveTail Games TrainSim (TS2016 now) stuff for a couple of years now and have had no problems whatsoever. They are slow (in some cases "its just never gonna happen" slow) to fix things and DoveTail Games release of FSX (FSX-SE) works infinitely better on my Win 8.1 system than the old boxed version of FSX-Gold. I run them both as well as a couple P3D versions for testing purposes but when I just want to fly I always launch FSX-SE. Plus they have made improvements. Something we haven't been able to say about Microsoft for nearly a decade.

Dovetail Games is a very cautious about copyright to the point of not even wanting to include Stars-&-Bars US insignia. That is probably why most of the textures seem to be missing. If you want the full package buy it from the original source. They probably have a better return policy for their own stuff bought from their own store anyway.

All true Frank. I have FSX and FSX-SE. I prefer the FSX-SE. Luckily I paid using PP. They intervened on my behalf and in my favor. Seems there is stil justice after all.

Cees

Maybe this thread can be closed?

I also have to agree with Frank about Steam and DTG. I have well over 80 games on Steam and I can say that the only one I have ever had trouble with was Fallout 3, but that was my fault. Despite the warning that it would not work with Win7 I bought it anyway since I had seen workarounds for that problem. Result? No joy, but as I said that was my fault.

Also, I have TS2016 and loads of DLC for it, only when DTG had changed a few things in it's 2014 update did I have trouble but that was fixed with a full re-install. Overall with only two major problems in 82 installed games my opinion of Steam is rather high. That does not mean that I will use their DLC IF their is a viable alternative.

So much for my 2 cents.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Didn't quite escape.
    Sorry to go even further off topic, but I have all the fixes to make Fallout 3 work on anything from 7 to 10, strikehawk... If you want them, drop me a PM and I'll sort out links for you.

I just finished it again and am now chatting up Willow in New Vegas.

Ian P.

Massive simmer here, I also use Steam, especially for the simulator games... like Spintires, Silent Hunter, etc etc, and I love how easy it is to get bargains, f.e: https://www.g2a.com sell steam-keys which take about 1 second to activate in your steam account

This thread served a purpose started by the original author. Since then the issues were resolved. Things are going off topic now so time to close this one down.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Members who have read this thread: 0