Flashback - Aerosoft H1

Thread: Flashback - Aerosoft H1

Flashback - Aerosoft H1

An earlier FSX model that really looks great and is a nice change of pace...

tough to handle on the takeoff roll and you really have to set up the approach and landing perfectly to be able to see the runway and stay on it throughout the landing.

great textures all around, from the bare metal to the cockpit to the wheel wells, this model still shines and provides its own unique challenges in FSX.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    Oh yea,

I've still got mime installed but haven't been up in a long while.

I remember thinking that the VC was the most beautiful piece of art work that had been done for any FSX aircraft.

I cut my teeth on that aircraft, still by and large my highest hours aircraft.

but, for the approach, I like to do what the Brits did with the corsair (same long nose issues) and generally come in on a constant swooping turn from downwind to final, using my flaps to dictate my approach speed. I usually have sight of the runway right up till the flare
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Agreed 110% !

Some utterly beautiful virtual cockpits have appeared on the scene since the release of Stefan Hoffmann's Hughes H-1 Masterpiece. Personally though i have yet to see the extraordinairy beauty, realism and immersiveness of the extremely gorgeous H-1 VC surpassed. Lucky for us a lot do indeed come very, very close and the H1 cockpit is 'just' a small and relatively simple cockpit but the sheer beauty of the 3D modeling and textures has always left my jaw smack dab on the floor and still does.

I haste to say that it's not only the beauty of the VC that makes Stefan's Masterpiece stand out, the external model is of course of equal gorgeousness and beauty.

Big fan of Stefan Hoffmann. I say again STEFAN HOFFMANN !! ( just because his name is often even left out in reviews and articles. Are reviewers really not aware that Aerosoft only sells/distributes flightsim software, NOT develop it !!??.. )

Quite right you have pointed a spotlight on Stefan's Masterpiece, Heywoood ! If it would've been released now instead of 7 years ago it would still be the talk of the town !

Edit: Correction... Aerosoft does indeed help in developing FSX software, f.i. by Mathijs Kok who usually leads a project and writes the manuals but the actual developing of external and interal models, flight dynamics, programming and sound suites is always left to, well... developers. IMHO they should get much more attention in reviews than just the credits in manuals.
    Last edited by Javis; September 15th, 2015 at 05:34. Reason: correction

Wow! Brilliant.

Thanks for the write-up also Javis! +1

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    An earlier FSX model that really looks great and is a nice change of pace...
    tough to handle on the takeoff roll and you really have to set up the approach and landing perfectly to be able to see the runway and stay on it throughout the landing.
    great textures all around, from the bare metal to the cockpit to the wheel wells, this model still shines and provides its own unique challenges in FSX.
    Agree 100% as well, although I burned up a lot of engines trying to fly the thing. I finally gave up on it when I decided it wasn't a plane you just jump in and fly. Everything had to be set just right or you got about 5 to 10 minutes of air time and then "poof". . .you were looking for a patch of field to put it down in, lol. I might see if I can still download it from AS and give it a go again. . . .maybe I've mellowed since that time, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SH427 View Post
    I cut my teeth on that aircraft, still by and large my highest hours aircraft.

but, for the approach, I like to do what the Brits did with the corsair (same long nose issues) and generally come in on a constant swooping turn from downwind to final, using my flaps to dictate my approach speed. I usually have sight of the runway right up till the flare
    exactly right !
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Agree 100% as well, although I burned up a lot of engines trying to fly the thing. I finally gave up on it when I decided it wasn't a plane you just jump in and fly. Everything had to be set just right or you got about 5 to 10 minutes of air time and then "poof". . .you were looking for a patch of field to put it down in, lol. I might see if I can still download it from AS and give it a go again. . . .maybe I've mellowed since that time, lol.
    prop and mixture as you now know, Falcon - and also the quick smooth reduction on the throttle once takeoff climb is established -

while, to date, I have not seen the 'runaway' engine failure modeled...leaving a throttle firewalled for too long on takeoff resulting in uncontrolled detonation...this model and the FSX Mustang will both suffer engine failure if you forget to
    throttle back once you establish climb on takeoff
    enter..the Sandman

Javis - thank you for posting the modelers name - Stefan Hoffmann - I was wondering what other models he may have worked on or produced for FSX

I agree also with your point about the currency of this model - it could have been released yesterday, it is that well executed.

The Catalina from Aerosoft has the same brilliant atmosphere in the cockpit - as does the Sibwings An-2 and AH's Electra and F3F etc...but the H-1 was the first that gave me that real as it gets feeling of being in the cockpit of any simulation I have used.
    enter..the Sandman

Blog Entries
    Thank you for bringing this beauty back to the limelight. I have over 100 hours in it and the short wing version is still my go-to plane when I just need a Howard Hughes fix or go for a night flight. I love looking at that cockpit. Brilliantly crafted air frame and engine and modeled so perfectly in FSX. STEFAN HOFFMANN !! rocks!!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I agree with many of the sentiments here. This aircraft, even if underused in my hanger, respresents some of the finest development for the FS platform. I had the pleasure of making the initial official product video some years back, which was my small contribution to the product. Looking back on it, it just doesn't do the product justice. That being said, even today, this is a benchmark of visual design, coding, and passion.

Thanks for reminding me Heywooood! I couldn't find my 2008 download amongst my cd backups so finally I checked my e-mails (right back to Jan 2008) found the confirmation e-mail, opened the download link and after entering my Aerosoft registration details got the plane. Kudos to Aerosoft for a working link after 7 years!!

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

that's what I did too! this past Sunday after flying the Electra I wanted something to fly from the same era, same relative design...remembered the H-1 and had to remember where I bought it...

logged into my Aerosoft account and there it was - FREE and easy to reacquire...no BS $5.00 fee to download my already paid for model - no need to email and wait for reply - just here you go heywooood...

I frickin' LOVE that

Hey - I notice your running pretty lean there Roger...don't wanna burn those plugs man
    enter..the Sandman

I was wondering what other models he may have worked on or produced for FSX
    AFAIK, besides the H1, Stefan did, or was greatly involved in, the Twinotter Extended, Catalina X, Bronco X, Airbus X/Extended and CRJ, all published by Aerosoft. I don't have the Airbus X nore the CRJ myself but i can vouch for the others to be of superb Hoffmann quality as well.

Another remarkable aspect regarding the development of Stefan's Hughes H1 model, he did not only create the external and internal models and textures, he also did the flight dynamics, soundsuite and manual. Is there no end to the talents of this man ? I guess not. ( i have read somewhere that he may be into scenery design as well.. )

Thanks for the reply, Jan - I have the Catalina but I don't fly tubes much, I think I will take a look at the Bronco though

the H-1 sound set is a winner - adjusting pitch and throttling up and down with my speakers up a tick gives a nice sense of being in the 'pit
    enter..the Sandman

Thanks for the reply, Jan - I have the Catalina but I don't fly tubes much, I think I will take a look at the Bronco though
    Like the H-1 the Bronco is an amazing model as well. Just awesome inside and out and if you happen to be a 'scenery viewer' you'll find the Bronco one of the most suitable ( unlike the H-1.. )

Didn't know much about the H-1 to be honest and only so much about Howard Hughes but that has changed significantly after i bought Stefan's H1 model.

I bought a docu about Howard Hughes on dvd as well as 'The Aviator' dvd (love it! ), and another movie based on the book "Howard, the amazing Mr. Hughes" by Noach Dietrich and Bob Thomas. Mr. Hughes played here by Tommy Lee Jones Esquire. I believe i now know everything i always wanted to know about Howard Hughes but was afraid to ask.

Might well be that your H-1 Flashback thread urges me to watch all 3 dvd's again. Thanks,man !

cheers,
    jan

"Show me all the blueprints"

I would love to have a Flying boat like the one in "The Aviator" done to the same quality as
    the H-1
    enter..the Sandman

If i'm not mistaken that's a Sikorsky S-38, right ? And i think i remember an FS variant has seen the light as well and not bad either. (i wouldn't expect Hoffmann quality exactly but nicely done anyway) Might've been FS9. Checking..... Yep, right here ( download link in the first post ) :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...S-38-over-Maui

Yes that is definitley the right plane...thanks man - I'll take a look at her
    enter..the Sandman

Great shot Heywooood
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

thank you, Manfred...its that big ol' California Windmill that makes the H-1 singularly impressive in my view...
    enter..the Sandman

Members who have read this thread: 0