Adding scenery objects from new missions and campaigns

Thread: Adding scenery objects from new missions and campaigns

Adding scenery objects from new missions and campaigns

Is there a process to keep from duplicating objects you have already loaded from previous downloads in a particular theater of ops? I think maybe it only affects the mdlnames.txt. because the system will tell you if the objects are already in the "objects", "Info" etc. I try to keep a manual list outside the particular theater of ops to keep from going thru the exercise of "oops, already there".
    I have had to eliminate numerous duplicates in my mdlnames.txt because of this.

For knwoing if you have added to the mdlnames.txt? Don't think so and CFS2 dosen't care if you add the same thing again to the mdlnames.txt.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Ok. I thought there might be a limit in the mdlnames.txt

I never knew of one but it could be testing by putting a buch of dummies in the list over and over and at the end add one that isn't and see if CFS2 will still rename the non dummy at the end.

I seem to remember someone once writing that when it exceeds a certain number, the game will ctd. I din;t remember the number though. Ask Cody Coyote via PM. He might know.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    Duplication is what I despise most in downloads.

After 15+ years of CFS2 existence one would think that it's not necessary anymore creating uploads with all kinds of duplicated dp/scenery objects, weapon libraries, gauges, engine sounds and so on.

Think of all the room that could be saved on SOH server, if anything necessary to a given addon would be uploaded with just links to what is a well-known duplicate. This is how I upload my works.

Even uploading multiple repaint packs as if any of the repaints were a standalone aircraft looks ridiculous to me. Common textures could be packed just once and, if they are not repainted, a simple reference could be made to the original aircraft they belong to. After all, there's no sense in having skins for an aircraft we do not have!

As a result, I always have to go in and edit the addon to clear it from things like, for example, the German Flak 88mm cannon, that I found duplicated zillion times.

No need to invest in a new 1,000 Tb HDD in this way, folks!

Cheers!
    KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

mdlnames Limit

Hi all
    From my experience, I think that 32-36 is the limit, sometimes 32, sometimes 36. There is some info on this at SOH.
    Maybe it depends on your system???
    It may depend on other things???
    Cheers
    Stuart
    PS
    Duplications can be fixed by copying the 'word' text to MS Word, selecting all, and 'sort' alphabetically. Duplicates can be deleted and then copied back to the original word text.
    Cheers
    Stuart

This old thread is the best summary I've come across for mdlnames.txt.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...45342-mdlnames

Basically, unless you are going to use Mission Builder to create something (boy that's a small club!), you can get away with never adding anything to mdlnames.txt...

Icon22 Reply...

Stefano,

Your philosophy is how I like to operate, and why I do not request a new model of somethign if the older version can be used or modified to suit the purpose I need it for.

I will replace something I uploaded rather than just upload a "fix" or "update," and if anyone else wishes to do the same, they know where to find me.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Stefano,

Your philosophy is how I like to operate, and why I do not request a new model of somethign if the older version can be used or modified to suit the purpose I need it for.....
    Your works are what I meant to praise with my reply.

Apart from the 88mm Flak gun, the first object I thought of, which in the past you always placed in your mission packs (it size is minimal after all), I've seen Ground Crew's British and Luftwaffe weapons, FDG's and Dbolt's US weapons, gauge libraries and several huge engine soundsets duplicated continuously.

One would think that we all should have those addons, at this point. If not, SOH's library in the last years has been stocked with numerous re-upload drives "for preservation". A simple link in the addon readme file to those addons would decrease SOH's ever increasing need for HDD storage room dramatically.

Not speaking of: the unnecessary "thumbs", Windows preview indexes among texture files; remnants of Ivan Hsu's conversion files or simple collision bubble/shine effect by-products like *.MDS and *.MDZ, which, BTW, keep the size of the *.MDL file, the largest file in any addon; *.CDP files, useless because it's always better recreating the *.cdp when installing a new aircraft.

All unnecessary junk increasing the size of addon files, with no benefits other than having to go in and clean it out before archiving. I normally reduce files up to 15Mb down to a third of their original size. I'd love using my time to do something better like sceneries and airplane effects, instead.

I rest my case.

Cheers!
    KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Icon22 Reply...

Stefano,

I agree with your point in principle, but the idea of creating auto-installers kinda goes against your way of thinking. For the packages I've uploaded recently, everything is included. While there is some redundancy, yes, it does allow you to have everything expect Lindsay Watt's objects and a few ships. Often included are hard-to-find weapons and other nagging things.

While I understand the argument of duplication, I'm finding that this modified approach allows more users to fly these without having to start threads and search for stuff. It's kind of a damned-if you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation.

Case in point...I haven't heard highpockets or Killer Svend say that these new campaign / mission packages aren't working, so that to me is high praise.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Rami,

Royal Australian Air Force--so far so good.

Haven't installed Papua New Guinea or D.E.I. yet. I will "squawk" if I find any issues.
    Life has been interfering with my "play time."

Puting links to objects sound good but dead links kill many add-ons.

Members who have read this thread: 0