Monitor for Flight Simming

Thread: Monitor for Flight Simming

Monitor for Flight Simming

Currently I am running a 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2233BW, and while the monitor is running perfectly, I have been getting the itch to upgrade it. The problem is that there are so many choices out there and the prices stretch as far as the eye can see! TN panels vs IPS, 144hz monitors, 4K, ect... It is enough to make my head spin. I play FSX:SE, CFS2, P3D, IL2:46, Mass Effect and the X-wing series to give you an idea of the games/flight-sims I enjoy. My system is based on a i7 930 @ 3.63GHZ, 12 GB of DDR3 RAM and a GTX970 video card. So what monitor(s) would you guys recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Browncoat View Post
    Currently I am running a 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2233BW, and while the monitor is running perfectly, I have been getting the itch to upgrade it. The problem is that there are so many choices out there and the prices stretch as far as the eye can see! TN panels vs IPS, 144hz monitors, 4K, ect... It is enough to make my head spin. I play FSX:SE, CFS2, P3D, IL2:46, Mass Effect and the X-wing series to give you an idea of the games/flight-sims I enjoy. My system is based on a i7 930 @ 3.63GHZ, 12 GB of DDR3 RAM and a GTX970 video card. So what monitor(s) would you guys recommend?
    I have this one - its very nice and was not expensive at all https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/VE278Q/

enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

I had a 22 inch until about 2 years ago when I stepped up to a 25 inch Asus monitor. I'm very happy with it, the only problem is that after a couple of days, it doesn't look much bigger than the 22. You just get used to it. As cheap as monitors are today, if your going to get something bigger, get a 27 inch. I'm already looking for something bigger than my 25 inch.

Not necessarily a recommendation, but I switched out my HP 23" for my old Vizio 32" TV when I bought a new 55" a couple of weeks ago. Wow. I have to move my head to see everything on the screen. It might not be for everyone, but I won't go back.

Why not add two more 22" monitors, and create a wideview setup. Your graphics card can handle it easily.

Even 3 monitors in wideview, and one below it for the gauges is no problem for that card,
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

I agree with Manfred - I do it with a GeForce 660 with satisfactory results and your card is way better than mine.

I was just thinking before reading this thread about how it doesn't seem that long ago I was FS5ing on a 14" monitor .
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Whenever this question is asked, there seems two schools emerge. Those that use the traditional PC monitor and those of us that think bigger is better, and go with an HDTV. I am in the latter camp.. I started with a 42" HDTV. Very nice! Last winter I moved up to a Panisonic 4K 58" ultra HD. Cockpit instruments and landscape are now essential life-size from my sitting position and eyepoint/zoom. Love it!
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

I've been looking at some 27", 1920x1080 monitors to replace my 22". However, on some gaming forums they say that whilst this size and resolution are good for games, if you're working with text (word processing for example) that the fonts look quite pixellated and that you're better off going for 2560x1440. Anyone with a 27" 1920x1080 monitor care to comment? I know that my graphics card (GTX 970) wouldn't struggle at all at 1920x1080 but not sure how well it would work at 2560x1440 with plenty of eye candy - I have a couple of driving games I also use occasionally so I'm also thinking outside of FSX.

I'm using the following:
    BenQ XL2730Z 27inch LED 144Hz FreeSync Gaming Monitor 2560x1440.
    My previous screen was a 23inch BenQ 120Hz at 1920x1080.
    While the smaller BenQ was first class I came across the 27inch as their new gaming monitor and despite the price (A$800.00) it's worth owning.
    One caveat to be aware of, make sure your Graphic Card will support it, as my aging dual GTX690s didn't have any problem handling full resolution but only at 60Hz.
    At least that was a good excuse to replace them.........

I dislike triple screen setups as they have a large footprint and I've yet to see a large TV monitor produce a decent picture for our purposes.
    Just my opinion.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I recently built myself a new system and went for the BenQ BL3200PT 32" monitor.

Coming from an Acer 23", at first I thought it might be rather too big for my desk, and although it took a while to get over the initial 'Good Grief' reaction, I'm glad I made the choice.

For the price, it's a fantastic monitor, and has made a real difference to FSX, and general usage of the PC.

The extra amount of peripheral detail you get is amazing, and you don't realise how much you are using it (subconsciously) such as when landing for instance.

Very pleased!

Cheers

Paul

The problem with any thinking of going beyond 19x10 resolution is the CPU's additional task of pumping out the additional pixels, especially for FS related instances.

My previous system was built around an i7 930 and when considering a new 25x14 monitor I realized a more current CPU would be a wise investment. So depending upon what else the OP has in mind for "down the road", I would only offer thinking of a 19x10 resolution monitor (or TV), in a screen size that felt comfortable. As bigger screen equals larger pixels.

I did some research before buying my monitor a couple years back. I have a ASUS VS278 28". VERY happy with it! NC

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    I've been looking at some 27", 1920x1080 monitors to replace my 22". However, on some gaming forums they say that whilst this size and resolution are good for games, if you're working with text (word processing for example) that the fonts look quite pixellated and that you're better off going for 2560x1440. Anyone with a 27" 1920x1080 monitor care to comment? I know that my graphics card (GTX 970) wouldn't struggle at all at 1920x1080 but not sure how well it would work at 2560x1440 with plenty of eye candy - I have a couple of driving games I also use occasionally so I'm also thinking outside of FSX.
    I had that problem when I first hooked up my 32" TV (1920x1080). I changed the TV's picture mode to "Movie", and all text (and FSX) looks great. Your mileage may vary, though.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I dislike triple screen setups as they have a large footprint and I've yet to see a large TV monitor produce a decent picture for our purposes.
    Just my opinion.
    It is good that we are all entitled to our own opinion.

I have been using a multi-screen setup for the past 8 years and would not want to go back to a single screen, no matter how big.

Again each their own. Thank goodness we are not all the same
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

However, on some gaming forums they say that whilst this size and resolution are good for games, if you're working with text (word processing for example) that the fonts look quite pixellated and that you're better off going for 2560x1440.

Vortex,

I took your insight when it came to resolution and decided on a ASUS PB258Q. I also enjoy doing a fair bit of writing, so the better resolution is important to me and I like that the ASUS monitor is based on an IPS panel. I will let you know how it works out when it arrives.

I'm using two Dell 24" monitors on my gaming/internet machines that are at least 6-7 years old. Both have crisp/clean graphics and good colors for pictures. Working with Word/Word Perfect
    is no problem either. This was back in the day when Dell put out a series of really nice monitors. I couldn't speak to what they have now,but if they are comparable to my current Dells, they
    are pretty good. I play a lot of Diablo 3 and it looks great on them!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

I'm still on a 17" monitor. I must be doing something wrong.

Actually, I'm glad this thread was started,as I've been thinking about getting a new monitor and many of the questions I've had about it have been answered here.

IT CAME!

I had some trouble setting it up. For what ever reason, the monitor prefers the HDMI cable over the DVI cable. I may play around with it, but at least I was able to get it running.

So far, my first impressions are that the monitor is a great upgrade over my old Samsung monitor. The colors are better and the image just looks sharper. Aside from the HDMI vs DVI issue the only other drawback I have seen so far is that the native resolution of the monitor is just too much for CFS2. It is not surprising given the age of CFS@, and after some digging, the max resolution that CFS2 can support is 2048 x 1536. I am currently running that simulator on 1920 x 1080 without issues.

Browncoat, how do you find the text size on the desktop and in menus at 2560x1440?

Browncoat, how do you find the text size on the desktop and in menus at 2560x1440?
    The text size is small. I'll need to figure out a way to increas4e it just slightly, but the text is very crisp and clear. Also as an update, I swapped out the old DVI cable with the one that came with the monitor, and that is working. Perhaps it is working since I was able to key in the display settings while I used the HDMI cable. The display clarity and the quality of the colors continues to blow me away.

Members who have read this thread: 0