A new rotorcraft "Alouette III" is released on French-VFR - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A new rotorcraft "Alouette III" is released on French-VFR

Nice clear textures Ed

Having looked at the aircraft.cfg, the nav lights appear to be referenced from there so it should be a simple matter of swapping them for something less visible.

On the Alouette II.. you don't get an audible warning you're overstressing the engine. Instead.. you start falling out of the sky!!
    ATB
    DaveB

Ok, short review

Nice looking addon! Because we have the AIII in the Dutch Airforce, I like this bird very much and it might be my favourite heli addon (didn't get fully satisfied with other helos I own).

The model is nice, somehow I expect the creator of the addon is a native modeler. The model is very nice. There are a lot of parts on an AIII, and the author replicated them in a convincing way. This applies also to the rotorhead, which is modelled very well and the swashplate is animated. Engine is done very well.
    Looking at her from the front, disappoints me a bit. I think the model isn't smooth enough there. The 'exterior interior' (cockpit from the outside) is disappointing as well. At least, the developer could have made the textures a bit more vivid. For example, in the VC three coloured elastic straps at the back wall (we call such a thing a 'spin' in Dutch, spider), while the are totally absent in the exterior model. They could have been added as a texture, which is good enough already.

All doors can be opened, nice! Rotorhub, tailrotor and engine modelling is very good!

What I miss is the surface treatment. There are a few apparent bulbs on the outer surface of the real thing, that are just represented as texture here. Bump maps could have been added as well, these are pretty simple to add and increase the overall look in an astonishing amount IMHO. Panel lines are done with two tones, to give them some depth, but rivets aren't. I miss that.

Several features could be switched on and off with the Shift+4 menu, that's very nice, I like that!

Interior: same applies as for exterior. Good modelling, a bit too less detail at some places though. And the textures are a bit plain. Gauges are 3D, which means it's a winner for me. Most gauges have some kind of knob, these are functional as well.

The sound is nice, but I conclude they are completely controlled by the sound gauge of Douglas Dawson. IMHO, this isn't needed for normal sounds, which can be controlled by FSX itself. Only extra sounds need to be done with the sound gauge, that's my preference at least. You can observe there's no difference in sound when in Tower view or in Spot view. There is a difference between interior and exterior sound by the way.
    Knobs also feature sound, I like that.
    Cockpit textures are in French, which isn't a problem really, but the Tooltip labels are also in French which isn't very nice.

I don't know really about the flight model. It isn't very easy to fly this helo, but still easy enough. There's not very much power, I discovered.

I want to conclude by saying that it's a very nice addon and I recommend everyone to give it a try. Will be used by myself frequently.
    +1 for Squirrel! If you read this Squirrel, I advice you to think about some improvements yet. A v2 could really make a winner! Anyway, thanks a lot for this one!

Daan
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

One more time THANK YOU :-)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
    The more you do, the less you dream

Here's another vote hoping that Falcon409 will make those interior textures publicly available. They look great!

I had planned to do some additional work but discovered that with one or two exceptions, the gauges are part of the mdl file and can't be adjusted at all. One of the improvements I planned would have required a slight readjustment of some of the gauges, but that's not possible so I'll put what I have in a zip and post it here tomorrow,

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    This is nice one. Helicopters are difficult to fly but easy to crash, at least for me.

thanks to all who have made this thing.

Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutcheeseblend View Post
    Ok, short review

Cockpit textures are in French, which isn't a problem really, but the Tooltip labels are also in French which isn't very nice.

Daan
    Do you know that in France we are proud enough to speak French ? lol

JMC

Quote Originally Posted by gastonj View Post
    Hi,

JMC
    Bien vu Gaston!

Quote Originally Posted by gastonj View Post
    Hi,

JMC
    Yes, I know Well, I'm proud of speaking Dutch, so proud enough to put Dutch gauges in my Fokker cockpits. Labelling though is done in English, to keep it understandable for the end user.

. . . . .Cockpit textures are in French, which isn't a problem really, but the Tooltip labels are also in French which isn't very nice. . . . . .Daan
    I'm working on this one. . .at least for the cockpit labels. I'm doing an English text version as well which I'll release by the weekend, just have to find time to get it completed.

Can anyone advise which file to delete to eliminate the turbine whine? I deleted the entire sound folder and the whine persists.

Quelqu'un peut-il conseiller le fichier à supprimer pour éliminer le sifflement de turbine ? Je supprimé le dossier de son entier et le sifflement persiste.

;-)
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

I believe most of the sounds come from the main "sound" folder in FSX inside the folder "dsd". Check there. Listen to the following series of "wav" files (sa316_son33500). The whine seems to be most prevalent in those files.

A bit of experimentation has proved fruitless, lol

I tried renaming those four wav files and then restarting the sim. I noticed two things. . .well actually three. 1) when you rename any of those wav files you get a pop-up on startup that says it can't find the wav file. So you have to click your way through 4 of those. Once in the sim comes #2) the exterior sounds don't seem to have been affected much. . .maybe a bit but the "whine" is still there just not as loud (I don't think). 3) the interior sounds are gone, at least on my one attempt they were.

My take on the sounds is that I'm not gonna mess with them. It seems that once I did, if I loaded a saved flight with the Alouette III, I had to load another airplane once the sim started and then reload the Heli to get the sounds back. I haven't been able to load the Heli once since I renamed one of the sound files and have it load with the sounds running as they should which for me is a PITA and not worth the trouble.

Falcon, you might need to find out about the sound gauge of Douglas Dawson. Simply disabling the thing in the panel.cfg will disable all the sounds it plays. In some .ini file, the filepaths and filenames are defined.
    It's very interesting that the developer used this gauge as main sound drive. I wonder what his arguments were.

Falcon, you might need to find out about the sound gauge of Douglas Dawson. Simply disabling the thing in the panel.cfg will disable all the sounds it plays. In some .ini file, the filepaths and filenames are defined.
    It's very interesting that the developer used this gauge as main sound drive. I wonder what his arguments were.
    It doesn't bother me enough to mess with it really. I took a stab at altering/renaming a few files to see the results as mentioned in my previous posts, but I was just trying to help "dvj".

I wondered that. DD's gauge is usually used for unusual sounds like switches, fire horns, wipers e t c.. not for main engines.
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    It doesn't bother me enough to mess with it really. I took a stab at altering/renaming a few files to see the results as mentioned in my previous posts, but I was just trying to help "dvj".
    And a big thank you for looking into this. I'm back to pressing the "Q" key and enjoying some music while flying the Alouette III.

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    And a big thank you for looking into this. I'm back to pressing the "Q" key and enjoying some music while flying the Alouette III.

-d

Replace these two sounds in FSX\sound\dsd folder with these. Much better to the ears.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Replace these two sounds in FSX\sound\dsd folder with these. Much better to the ears.
    Works good! Thanks Tufun.

Here are the textures for the VC. I am still doing the label translations. . .hopefully that will be complete in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Thanks for that TuFun.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Here are the textures for the VC. I am still doing the label translations. . .hopefully that will be complete in a few days.
    Looks good Ed.

Larry

Here someone else who would appreciate those VC textures

Duh, after posting this I saw that the VC textures were made available
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Need some help please.
    I have no sound and get this constant error

LWF-FileOpenFailed
    ./Sound/dsd/sa316_sonclick3.wav

Mike

Members who have read this thread: 0