TSR2 Photo Op

Thread: TSR2 Photo Op

TSR2 Photo Op

Hi

I've just finished a photo run in the BAC TSR2. I planned this as a way of demonstrating the frightful potential this marvelous aircraft had. The planned trip was from Athens to Finland, via Rostov, Volgograd, Penza, Moscow and Leningrad. the initial part from Athens to the Black Sea was done at medium altitude with a refueling over the Black Sea just off the coast of Turkey. Then low level from there to Finland. I chose to use the prospective ability of the TSR2 to carry external drop tanks and a 2000lb weapons/camera load. However the model will not display the external stores in FSX so its just pretend as far as the screen shots are concerned.
    Speed was kept at 650 knots for most of the trip with a short mach run over Moscow. Height was kept to about 300-500ft AGL although this was a bit difficult as FSX doesn't allow you to set terrain following heights.
    This flight really showed just how capable this aircraft could have been.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tsr2_interdiction_external.jpg   tsr2_interdiction_cockpit.jpg   tsr2_interdiction_map.jpg  

SOH-CM-2023
    Whose model did you use? It looks better than he one I have, & as an ex design draughtsman who worked for 3 years on her all those years ago......
    Keith

Looks well like the Alphasim

But if so you were in FSX?
    SP2?

Why?

Because your HUD is not Opaque.Maybe panel lights not on-->or did you cure it

Thanks for some Info

Roland

Looks well like the Alphasim

But if so you were in FSX?
    SP2?

Why?

Because your HUD is not Opaque.Maybe panel lights not on-->or did you cure it

Thanks for some Info

Roland

I was about to ask the same question!

If it is the Alphasim/Virtavia FS2004 model, could you post your panel and HUD fixes please padburgess?

As someone who spends an inordinate amount of time gazing in wonder upon XR220 at RAF Museum Cosford, I would love to be able to fly her in FSX and P3D.

Great screenshots

It's the Alphasim port-over.

Dave

Something for you to chase in the Lightning Dave

Talking of which.. I'm sure you'll have seen the test footage taken from a chase Lightning of TSR2 pulling away from it!! Impressive stuff indeed
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post

It's the Alphasim port-over.

Dave
    Do you have a HUD and no black spot in VC?

If so would you mind to give me (us) a download link?

Thanks

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Talking of which.. I'm sure you'll have seen the test footage taken from a chase Lightning of TSR2 pulling away from it!! Impressive stuff indeed
    And... the TSR did that on one engine, whilst the Lightning was in full afterburner with both. An incredible aeroplane indeed.

I found the Alpha TSR2 to be somewhat anemic in the power department, and after doing some research from what limited resources there were for this plane, I re-did the FDE for the FS9 model. The TSR2 now has the ability to accelerate in a 35 degree climb-out after takeoff. She can attain the same rate of climb as her real life counterpart and is very comfortable and stable at 45 to 50,000 feet at around Mach 2+. The FDE works beautifully in FS9 but has not been tested in FSX. If anyone is interested in having a go just send a PM with the usual details.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by thunder100 View Post
    Do you have a HUD and no black spot in VC?

If so would you mind to give me (us) a download link?

Thanks

Roland
    Is the TSR-2 not still a commercial product?
    It's definitely not on the Alphasim freeware list, so I can't share anything. Sorry.

Dave

Hi folks

She is indeed the Alphasim model. As to the questions about the fixes for the black HUD etc, I am going to have to beg off on these. I have a new PC following a major crash of my previous machine. I also had a bit of a glitch health wise in March last year and some memories from before then are a bit lost, sort of.
    All my backup models were just the in game files from the flightsim partition. I have none of the original files (stored on different partition) left from earlier than 18months ago so I can't actually remember what I did or what files I utilized. I just copied it over from the old partition into my new install and it worked.
    I did troll the web and download the additional textures available though. Also did some work on the cockpit graphics (very basic).
    Had a bit of a play with the FDE and am happy with the result.

She is one truly marvelous aircraft though. Had the ability to sit at high subsonic speeds (0.9mach) on dry thrust and still be quite frugal. I did notice though that as soon as I went to burner over Moscow the fuel usage just skyrocketed. Mind you so did the speed.

Oh yeah, I run FSX acceleration.
    Have a Toshiba Satelite Laptop with I7 3630QM @ 2.4-3.6GHz with 8GBytes RAM, 2GByte AMD HD7600M graphics card and running a 27inch monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    Is the TSR-2 not still a commercial product?
    It's definitely not on the Alphasim freeware list, so I can't share anything. Sorry.

Dave
    The Alphasim TSR-2 is listed on the Alphasim Freeware Directory. I've noticed that if you use Internet Explorer 9 in Windows XP, the Alphasim Freeware list is truncated after the ALPHA_F-8E(FN)_Crusader_CFS2_FS02.zip listing.

Using Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 11 shows the complete list.

That's the CFS2/FS02 version. Did it not get FS9 native treatment?? I'm sure my copy is FS9?

ATB
    DaveB

Yes, there is an FS9 native model dated 2011 and branded Virtavia rather than Alphasim which is (I think) the one in these shots. Certainly that's the one I have. It is still payware but can be had very cheap. Mine came to about £4.50 in the last Virtavia 50% off sale

SOH-CM-2023
    PCaviator in Oz advertises it for 19 Aus $ if you Google, but it will not show up if searching or allow one to pass it into your cart.......have sent message, waiting for response!
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by padburgess View Post
    ...She is one truly marvelous aircraft though. Had the ability to sit at high subsonic speeds (0.9mach) on dry thrust and still be quite frugal. I did notice though that as soon as I went to burner over Moscow the fuel usage just skyrocketed. Mind you so did the speed.
    I thought the TSR2 was designed to supercruise (exceed Mach 1 without reheat)?
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

My copy is for FS9 and is titled "ALPHA BAC TSR2v2" It is copyright 2005 but I bought it from the Alphasim website 25th March 2010. I don't have in Acceleration at the moment as my Acceleration is throwing up a few problems.

SOH-CM-2023
    Probably the same then as PC aviators code is DL-ALBACTSR2.
    Keith

Hairyspin

You are correct although I think that was at altitude not in the denser air at below 1000ft AGL. However I was only running at 90-95% RPM and that gave me 0.9mach.

The original requirement for the aircraft (GOR 339) was to be able to cruise at M0.95 with a full load using terrain following radar at 200ft - the manufacturers design clearance was M1.2 at 200ft! It was designed to have combat radius of over 1500NM on internal fuel with long periods at low level. Still a very impressive looking aircraft in the flesh (a nearly complete example is on display at the RAF Museum at Cosford in the UK).

There's one at Duxford too.. these being the only 2 in existence.

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    There's one at Duxford too.. these being the only 2 in existence.

ATB
    DaveB
    Sadly the Duxford airframe is just an empty shell. Worse, since it was "restored" it looks more like a plastic replica than a real aircraft.

There is a minipanel you can get (AVSIM, combined_fsx_glass-analog.zip plus both previous) that has TFR included.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    Sadly the Duxford airframe is just an empty shell. Worse, since it was "restored" it looks more like a plastic replica than a real aircraft.
    Not been for years so I'm not au fait with the 'restored' look. Still.. we're lucky to have it and XR220.. both of which could easily have ended up on the firing range with the others.
    ATB
    DaveB

Members who have read this thread: 0