Engine won't stay on

Thread: Engine won't stay on

Engine won't stay on

I use the auto-start (E). The engine starts and the propeller starts. Within a couple of seconds the engine turns off and the propeller stops.

I've tried this with three totally different GA/bush aircraft so the problem isn't caused by the plane. I've never had this problem before and have no idea what is causing it. Does anyone have a clue?

Have you tried the default , any default maybe the Beaver, then switch across to the problem GA/bush planes.

I hadn't tried that so I did and it solved the problem. Thank you.

stuipd question,but do you have the throttle cracked open?..and the mixture full?.....i know when it happens to me..its usually the throttle.

Nope. Actually I'm set to start with the engine running. I'm just glad it's fixed.

Idle Friction

What airplanes are they? How many cylinders? What's the compression on those cylinders? (Just kidding).

Why default works and 3rd party don't work? Well, it's probably in the air file. Use the default Beaver air with the ones that 'won't stay running' and you'll see. But it also could be due to the model. Some engines may need less idle friction. If it's '1.000' make it '0.600' (cfg's (Piston Engine section)) and start sim with the 'bad' ones and see if that doesn't do it. You should be able to stop the engine and re-start it anytime without having to reload the default ac.
    Chuck B
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

What's the field elevation where this is happening? If it is about 3000 feet or higher, and a piston engine, lean the mixture. You should be doing that at cruise altitude anyway. As someone else mention, keep the RPM up to 800 - 1000. There was an article Aviation Safety magazine a couple years ago on a related subjected. The recommendation was on a hot day, even at a relatively low elevation airport to lean the mixture while still on the ground.

Glenn

I've had that before on different aircraft and upon checking I usually found that the fuel tanks were empty.....
    (bad preflighting)

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

If it was several different aircraft, including bush planes, I'm also suspecting field elevation. I'll bet you were in the mountains somewhere. In that case, you will need to lean the mixture soon after starting, as mentioned. Keep Rams up as well, as mentioned.

The field elevation was under 1000 feet. I had just made the bush hawk my default aircraft. It came with Parry Sound scenery so I set the tandem up as my default flight. I hadn't flown it so assume there was plenty of fuel. It was a recent purchase so I hadn't done much of anything with it. I pressed E which is my auto start. This has worked with every other aircraft in FSX or FS9 for the last nine years. It started and then stopped. So I read the manual which didn't help much. I substituted two other aircraft one at a time to see if it would work. Neither worked so I thought the problem was with FSX and wrote here. I used Ian's idea with the Scout and it solved the problem. I put the bush hawk back in and the problem came back. I then concluded the problem is with the bush hawk. The manual was no help so I downloaded manuals from Found which didn't help much. Last night I wrote on the aerosoft forum asking for help especially a pic of the VC with all the click points. There is a startup procedure in the manual but nothing to tell where everything is and some of it isn't clear. So far no replies.

Yep, I've had various issues with complex payware stuff doing whacky things and I clear it all out by switchng to the default cessna 172, turning on the battery, alternator, avionics, set the fuel selector to both, and open the mixturethen switch back to the aftermarket aircraft and all is well. Sometimes you will get an aircraft where the radios wont work or it uses fuel from only the wing tank on one side but not the other, etc. Switching to the cessna clears it all out.

Also, if you have a rotary knob on your joystick set to control mixture and you use it to close the mixture all the way on a prop plane then switch to a jet where you use your mouse to open the fuel levers remember to turn your mixture knob on your joystick back to full open. If you don't then you might have the engines suddenly shut down on you in mid flight if you forgot and left the knob on the joystick to fully closed.
    "But there are two certain targets 135 miles from here that don't expect us . . . Let's get Enterprise and Hornet turned into the wind."
    Actor Glenn Ford portraying R. Adm. Raymond Spruance in "Midway"

I've been flying the aerosoft Beaver for years, first in fs9 now in fsx, and really like it. It's simple. I would think the Bush Hawk would be simple also but apparently not. I fault the devs for not including clear and complete documentation. Hopefully someone from aerosoft will answer my inquiry because it looks like a nice airplane. I fly only GA and bush aircraft and this would fit right in with how I like to fly.

Members who have read this thread: 0