OT: F7F Tigercat Prototype/Early Production Photos

Thread: OT: F7F Tigercat Prototype/Early Production Photos

OT: F7F Tigercat Prototype/Early Production Photos

To accompany the F7F-1 and prototype which was just made available for FSX/P3D, converted by Gordon Madison from the Milton Shupe models, I thought I would post some historical photos which relate to the models featured in the release package. These all come from the US government/military archives.

And although this model hasn't been made, a F7F-2D, which was used as a Hellcat drone controller, it would still make for a killer repaint of the F7F-1 model, with both having the same early tail.

Er, does the pilot look a bit small in those photos? ;-)
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Er, does the pilot look a bit small in those photos? ;-)
    Laughed so hard I blew my coffee all over the keyboard.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Blog Entries
    I can put together a model with the night fighter wheels fairly quickly John. I'll assume that variant would be NF Black.?

From the photos it appears that the chalky gray white exhaust is going to be the correct color for the black model.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Great set of photo's , I have a few goodies here showing the Korean war night fighter, it seems to be wearing more mud than anything else, You would have to be careful climbing into one without help, that would be an interesting video to watch.

Ya know what I am a little confused about is what the "fighter mission" of the F7F was intended to be? Was it intended to be a turn and burn dogfighter like a Corsair, Mustang or Hellcat? Or more of a fighter bomber with a night fighter role similar to a mosquito etc? I have seen quotes from test pilots raving about its speed and agility, but what was the intention of the designers at the outset? (I know it became a night fighter and Marine attack aircraft and a utility aircraft.)

I believe all of the dark-colored examples in the photos I posted above are painted glossy sea blue, as none of these are the night fighter variants (I limited the photos posted to those that only would apply to the models released so-far, in some way) - the night fighters, as far as I'm aware, all had the second crewman position. Glossy sea blue can appear both light and dark depending on the lighting conditions. The dark-colored/glossy sea blue example with the prop spinners fitted (a very early -1 test variant), is seen photographed with Commander Joseph C. Clifton (VF-12), during an early evaluation period.

BTW, on all of the Tigercats flying today, the backseat, as seen on the later variants/night fighters, are outfitted today for carrying a passenger.

Here is a 360-degree view sitting in the backseat of the Historic Flight Foundation Tigercat: http://historicflight.org/hf/collect...cat-passenger/
    And another 360-degree view sitting in the cockpit of the same Tigercat: http://historicflight.org/hf/collect...pits-tigercat/

Fantastic photo's!

I wonder if the F7F was ever flown off against the P-38? And if so what was the result?

I know it was a common thing for the test pilots of any one manufacturer to 'challenge' a competitor to a fly-off; especially Navy against Army.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I believe all of the dark-colored examples in the photos I posted above are painted glossy sea blue, as none of these are the night fighter variants (I limited the photos posted to those that only would apply to the models released so-far, in some way) - the night fighters, as far as I'm aware, all had the second crewman position. Glossy sea blue can appear both light and dark depending on the lighting conditions. The dark-colored/glossy sea blue example with the prop spinners fitted (a very early -1 test variant), is seen photographed with Commander Joseph C. Clifton (VF-12), during an early evaluation period.
    I understood this to be the case as well. The photos of interest show the night fighter cover on the nose wheel which threw me off a bit. I can model this variant with this wheel cover and the blacked out main wheels in the Sea Blue. I may also find that Navy variant to be irresistible as well.
    Thomas Jefferson

Members who have read this thread: 1