"Grumman Cats"

Thread: "Grumman Cats"

"Grumman Cats"

Some fun combining two aircraft that go together very well - both representing the real climax of American piston-powered aircraft design.

Blog Entries
    I can only guess as to how many hours of your day were invested into staging your stunning Tigercat screen shots.

Thank you sir for your kind comments on the converted bird, and for taking the time to give her a thorough shakedown. It is indeed an honor to receive the acknowledgement of one's peers.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

These wonderful shots really compliment the fine work that has been done on both models. Thanks for sharing the screenshots, John, and a hearty thanks to GMAN and Milton (and other members of the community) for your stunning work on the Tigercat.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Those two (Tiger and Bear) were a common sight at Duxford for many years. TFC's display would start with a 4-ship (Tigercat, Bearcat, Hellcat and Wildcat) then the formation would break into 2 x 2-ship (Tiger and Bear.. for obvious reasons.. the Bearcat was the only thing that could keep with the Tiger!!) then the Hellcat and Wildcat. Was sad to see G-RUMT go back to the U.S. and it'll be great to have her painted up when the right model comes

ATB
    DaveB

I should be able to tell but is that the ABC or Vertigo Bearcat? Don't think I have that paint for the latter.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Those two (Tiger and Bear) were a common sight at Duxford for many years. TFC's display would start with a 4-ship (Tigercat, Bearcat, Hellcat and Wildcat) then the formation would break into 2 x 2-ship (Tiger and Bear.. for obvious reasons.. the Bearcat was the only thing that could keep with the Tiger!!) then the Hellcat and Wildcat. Was sad to see G-RUMT go back to the U.S. and it'll be great to have her painted up when the right model comes
    Yep, I was thinking of The Fighter Collection's days of the past when I was putting this together.

As you say, back then TFC operated all four of the WWII Grumman "cats". Today of course they don't anymore (with only the Wildcat and Bearcat remaining of those in the collection), and instead it makes me think of the Rod Lewis collection in Texas (http://www.lewisairlegends.com/aircraft/), which not only owns/flies two Tigercats, and three Bearcats, but also owns owns/flies an F4F-3 Wildcat (the only Grumman-built Wildcat flying today) and have also recently obtained the ex-TFC Hellcat, currently receiving work at Ezell Aviation (possibly a repaint) before it flies in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    I should be able to tell but is that the ABC or Vertigo Bearcat? Don't think I have that paint for the latter.
    It is the Vertigo Bearcat, and the paint scheme comes from the payware extra set of paints, also available through Vertigo.

I fly the aircraft in the sim with the Tom Falley/Fliger747 flight dynamics (slightly modified), and the superb freeware R-2800 (Corsair) soundset available at Flightsim.com, filename: vcorsairsnz.zip (with a modified sound.cfg file, to better match the sound bites to the power settings - had to do this for use with the AF Corsair as well).

Not intending to photobomb (literally) John's great thread. But, his shots inspired me to go through my collection and look at a few Grumman cats. It always impresses me how close to real this sim and John's screens look.

Thank you John! Now that you reminded me, the Tigercat/Bearcat combination also made me think of the John Sessions/Historic Flight Foundation collection of warbirds as well, which as you very well know and have photographed, also own/fly both the Tigercat and the Bearcat seen in your photos (and from the same airport, the Flying Heritage Collection Hellcat also operates).

I'm really looking forward to the later-variant Tigercats, Gordon, if you continue with them!

I fly the aircraft in the sim with the Tom Falley/Fliger747 flight dynamics (slightly modified), and the superb freeware R-2800 (Corsair) soundset available at Flightsim.com, filename: vcorsairsnz.zip
    Thanks - found the soundset but searching here for Tom's FDE turned up nothing for the F8F.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Handsome pair!

Thanks - found the soundset but searching here for Tom's FDE turned up nothing for the F8F.
    They were only provided in a forum thread, some years back. Not the same thread, but you can find them available here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...8F-Bearcat-FDE

The only thing I changed about the FDE files was I reduced the p-factor in the flight tuning section of the Aircraft.cfg files - original it has a value of 1.0, and I've reduced it to 0.4. In its original form, I found the p-factor on take-off to be unmanageable - unlike in the real aircraft, in which it can be very easily overcome with rudder input, and kept in a very straight line down the runway - even when coming up on the power early on, as illustrated in several online cockpit videos flying the real thing, there is never an indication of swing on take-off at all.

It is the Vertigo Bearcat, and the paint scheme comes from the payware extra set of paints, also available through Vertigo.
    I'd no idea one existed for the Bear Cat John. There's no sign of it at Vertigo though to be honest.. there was no sign of the repaint pack for the Avenger there either. Eventually tracked a copy down at Flightstore. Did G-RUMM come with it by any chance? I gave up trying to get B on the fin to line up

ATB
    DaveB

No, unfortunately that one isn't part of it, Dave.

Rgr that John It's like being stuck on a level of Call of Duty that you can't get out of. Once in a blue moon.. you manage to overcome the enemy and move to the next level while having done so, you're not quite sure how The 'B' on the fin is one such level!!!

I've added those FD updates and like the improvement. Before.. I always found it ran out of elevator authority too soon which was odd as the slightest tug and it seemed over sensitive. The bottom of a loop was often interrupted by the ground! It's nice now though;-)
    ATB
    DaveB

They were only provided in a forum thread, some years back. Not the same thread, but you can find them available here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...8F-Bearcat-FDE
    Great - thanks!

The Tigercat was used as a drone controller for Hellcat drones. Would be AWESOME if those two paints were made. Would make a great pair.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    The Tigercat was used as a drone controller for Hellcat drones. Would be AWESOME if those two paints were made. Would make a great pair.
    The VS Hellcat was painted by Bruce448 in a drone scheme ages ago ... search under FSX "Hellcat" - filename bm_rf_f6f_ua15tt.

dl

Anyone have a picture of the 4 Cats in formation? Namely F4F, F6F, F7F and F8F. That would be really spectacular!
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Top Performers!

Lovely shots John.

Here's a couple of videos shot at different times and different people at Duxford/Flying Legends.

No.1

Bearcat DX/FL

Cheers

Paul

And No.2

Tigercat Display, FL2005

Cheers

Paul

I have that F8F flight model by Tom. It is required to fly the Bearcat in the annual RTWR. I will post it shortly.

EDIT: I should also mention that if you download the Milton Shupe/Facol409 updated F8F from the library, it contains that FM. This is the FSX port over version: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ad.php?t=86078
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Members who have read this thread: 3