Anybody Overclocking their Video cards?

Thread: Anybody Overclocking their Video cards?

Anybody Overclocking their Video cards?

Hi Guys. I just installed a new GTX 960 video card. Its supposed to be easily overclockable. I know "how" to do it, but wondered for FSX, what settings others are using on their video cards that work well? I realize in many ways that is PC specific so my mileage may vary with any specific setting.

Eric

I would like to overclock a GTX 970 but it came in the machine and I don't know who made it. What software are you using and will it work on any manufacturer?

This is how you do it:

Don't do it

If you must have a overclocked card, replace your new one with a factory locked rig from EVGA or Nvidia

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Overclocking a 970 ore above for FSX?? That somehow doesn't make sense to me.

For FSX scenery the amount of memory on the graphics card is more important. A 970 or 980 is already so fast, that I would not bother overclocking those cards.

And I must say that the factory overclocked versions can not be beat.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Nah, overclocking is fine and with time and a little patience you can have better performance.

But for FSX?

At 1080p?

Don't bother.

When I got my system 10 years ago, I considered attempting overclocking my Radeon HD5870, but never had the courage to attempt it. Didn't want to risk it.

Now, however, I am tempted to revisit the idea. A replacement card that would meet or exceed my current card is a LOT less expensive now. NC

Overclocking is good if you "like the smell of napalm in the morning...."

Pushing hardware beyond its designed/safe limits typically ends in tears....either due to instability/crash/BSOD or for when 'suddenly the lights went out...all over the world...' ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Overclocking is good if you "like the smell of napalm in the morning...."

Pushing hardware beyond its designed/safe limits typically ends in tears....either due to instability/crash/BSOD or for when 'suddenly the lights went out...all over the world...' ...
    I'd agree with that 110% when it comes to a GPU, better to go with a factory overclocked card.
    For FSX the Chip is more important and relatively user friendly when it comes to tinkering.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

No real reason to OC a vid card unless you just wish to play and see how long till you pass it's built in warning and cook it .

That said. OC your CPU if you seek gains in FSX...

The one and only caveat re overclocking a CPU [in particular] is to decide whether or not you can 'afford' it when/if it all goes south.

My CPU, MoBo and Ram in AUD was 1279, 429 and 1020 respectively. Were I to cook it I'd at least lose $2738 AUD.
    That ain't gonna happen...
    Last edited by Jafo; August 22nd, 2015 at 19:51. Reason: can't add up

I'm running a GTX970 in my laptop graphics amplifier with maxxed out setting on everything in FSX, without any sort of overclocking. As others have mentioned, it's doable to overclock, but for this video card, why bother? I run every game while on maximum while either connected to my GPU docking setup or on the go. Never an issue with anything, except heat build up when laptop GPU takes over.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

I once tried video card overclocking, there was a tiny bit of improved performance, but the increased heat meant the card's fan ran at full speed a lot. These days, video card overclocking tends to yield little more than a fried card. I would not do it, especially for FSX.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I've been overclocking for years, and my general rule of thumb is to not overclock video cards. They don't have the built in safety measures that a CPU has, and you absolutely risk damaging the GPU, or worse, the motherboard if you do it wrong. Further, the benefits of doing such are negated completely by the risk. Overclocking a CPU is a whole different bag, and safer, albeit I still recommend only veterans who have a lot of knowledge try it.

If you don't mess with voltages, then you're fine. And no they won't "cook". They will throttle back the frequencies until it's cooler. There are "factory overclocked" cards that cost more and use the exact same cooling solution of lower models. Basically you buy the lower model, overclock it yourself and save money.

Two words: BAD IDEA!!! I nearly screwed up my brand new PC in 2013 when I attempted to use the OC option on my AMD/ATI HD7770's Catalyst Suite. Luckily, I did not damage anything physically but the software changes were nearly irreversible and to the point I was unable to utilize the fine graphics of my GPU on my system. It was literally a show stopper! After consulting both Dell and AMD Techs, they were 100% dumbfounded that we could not reverse the issue and we were right at doing a System Reset to Factory Condition. I ended up finding (more like stumbling upon) a solution via rolling back the drivers and making some other changes which fixed the problem. None of the Techs had seen the type of issue I had but we all carefully recorded it in case another user ran into it again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0