B-58 Aluminum v3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B-58 Aluminum v3

B-58 Aluminum v3

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Looks nice Rick I bagged the B-58 in a sale a while back.. primarily to put your paints on it!!.. so I'll be certain to grab a copy of this when released

ATB
    DaveB

wonderful!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Who's B-58?
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Who's B-58?
    Glowing Heat.

http://www.glowingheat.co.uk

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Great plane, great paint.I want this.Thanks for your paint work.Now for a decent tanker and b-47.

Wow, that looks great. Nice work.

Thanks guys. One thing I've noticed while on this Bare metal journey...not all models are created equal. What I mean is that, although there is a basic technique that I now follow, there is still so.much trial and error in finding the sweet spot. since for some reason some developers build into the model the ability to take advantage of certain blending options Ina wide spectrum, while others have either limited or have chosen to not include the alpha or specular at all in the texture file and have opted to build In a default static specular and offer no alpha blending at all. Glowing heat model thankfully takes advantage of light in this native redux of the FS9 version. CenturySeries dI'd a great job notwithstanding the age of the model. I'll post some more shots but she's pretty.much ready to go. I have 2 more.liveries to release at the same time for the B-58 new versions of one's I've previously done. Hope you enjoy them!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Nice job Rick.. I'll take copies of all these paints

Have you resisted the urge to use Bob's env maps with these? It's nice to see metallic colours rather than all-over-blue upper surfaces. Don't get me wrong, I have and use Bob's maps but sometimes.. it's nice to see silver rather than blue

ATB
    DaveB

Bob's Env is being used. However, the effect here isn't primarily through surface reflection, and because the texture has varying degrees of grey being used, and not one uniform grey color, it's difficult to see. Specular is playing a major role. One reason I've not yet released, is that I'm still playing around with the diffuse alpha. I want the look to have the look and feel of the B-58 photos as best as I can make it...but I also want to try to avoid the "air show warbird" look...which actually is harder to do (IMO) because the two looks border somewhat closely when it comes to how to achieve one vs. the other in textures...at least with regards to my abilities in texturing
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

However you're doing it Rick.. it's working for me

ATB
    DaveB

Well I decided to just confirm...yrs I am using bobs ENVmap. I have it set as my default and actually replaced out the global texture in the root directory...so all of my aircraft will use it by default. I should probably mention that in the readme! I'm glad it works for you! I'm excited to get them out. Ive been really trying to master the aluminum; because i'm woefully bad at actually "painting"!...not there yet...but it is looking better than my first attempt!
    Last edited by Mach3DS; August 22nd, 2015 at 19:34.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Those shots look photographic with the new shine. Excellent.

- d

Rick, this is as close as anyone will ever get to depicting what a Hustler actually looked like when delivered - amazing work. I just wish I had your patience in playing around with alpha/spec/spec_alpha to get it looking so good. One thing I would do (and should have done) is to change the colour of 'U. S. AIR FORCE' to Insignia Blue which I think is more correct. If you pm your email I'll send you a set of original .psd's.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Those textures are simply outstanding!

Hopefully my next work will be better in that department!

Hopefully another 50s jet! I'm glad the textures are to your liking centuryseries!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Dave thanks for the kind words! PM incoming.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Thanks guys. One thing I've noticed while on this Bare metal journey...not all models are created equal. What I mean is that, although there is a basic technique that I now follow, there is still so.much trial and error in finding the sweet spot. since for some reason some developers build into the model the ability to take advantage of certain blending options Ina wide spectrum, while others have either limited or have chosen to not include the alpha or specular at all in the texture file and have opted to build In a default static specular and offer no alpha blending at all. Glowing heat model thankfully takes advantage of light in this native redux of the FS9 version. CenturySeries dI'd a great job notwithstanding the age of the model. I'll post some more shots but she's pretty.much ready to go. I have 2 more.liveries to release at the same time for the B-58 new versions of one's I've previously done. Hope you enjoy them!

There's certainly a lot of variables at play..

But I'm curious, how much have you experimented with Fresnel textures? Furthermore, how many models that you've played with even make use of one?

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

I'm definitely the wrong person to ask! I have seen the "fresnel ramp" texture included in many models. I know it is used in application with volumetric prop effects but I'm too much of a novice to be able to explain it in any detail. if it can enhance or otherwise make use of light changes I would be very interested as I still think that the "aluminum" look could be even better, but it would take a major use of all light enabled textures to get the look truly perfect. I wish P3D would adopt a variable global environment map. actually I wish that we could enable self reflection so that wings or what have you and the textures would be reflected in the aircraft. I guess you could ultimately make a personalized aircraft environment map or something...that would really complete the overall effect.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

I really like that top image. You've done a really nice job of conveying that it wasn't just skinned with one piece of aluminum. You've got slight variations in adjacent panels which is spot on. A little less reflection though as you mentioned. That's not easy to do with metal in FS and not make it just look like shades of gray paint. People like the special schemes (so do I sometimes) and I did several for the original FS9 release with David adding even more for the FSX remake, but there's something really nice about a plain jane "let's-get-the-job-done-and-try-to-make-it-home" scheme. Very pleased to see this bird getting continued attention.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    I really like that top image. You've done a really nice job of conveying that it wasn't just skinned with one piece of aluminum. You've got slight variations in adjacent panels which is spot on. A little less reflection though as you mentioned. That's not easy to do with metal in FS and not make it just look like shades of gray paint. People like the special schemes (so do I sometimes) and I did several for the original FS9 release with David adding even more for the FSX remake, but there's something really nice about a plain jane "let's-get-the-job-done-and-try-to-make-it-home" scheme. Very pleased to see this bird getting continued attention.
    What Frank said.

The Fresnel can have a HUGE impact on the polished aluminum. I've created several custom envmaps also, and believe personally they they should always be localized to each model.. Self-reflections are nearly possible.. nearly.. *wink

Here's a sample of the ENV I did for the T-6.

VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Members who have read this thread: 3