F7F-1 Tigercat FSX & P3D Native Released
Page 1 of 17 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: F7F-1 Tigercat FSX & P3D Native Released

Blog Entries

F7F-1 Tigercat FSX & P3D Native Released

The F7F-1 Tigercat FSX & P3D native is finished and uploading to the SOH server and will be available upon approval from admin.

I'm sure everyone who followed the progress updates is aware of the process that went into this build. I hope everyone enjoys this airplane as much as I do. Special thanks to Mr. Shupe who was integral in the beta process and a huge contributor with the original design and his constant support. Thank you sir!

I'd like to offer my special thank you to the beta team who contributed so much of their time and energy in testing and posting incredible screen caps of the Tigercat. The guys did an awesome job.

I've been developing scenery for about three years, but this is my first attempt at an airplane. Now that I have made it through boot camp, I have gained an entirely new respect for the developers who bring us the fine aircraft that we have come to enjoy. This has been a valuable experience for me and surely will not be my last. Of course, there are two other versions of the Tigercat waiting for me to finish, but those will come along fairly quickly.

Some flying tips:

On landing, maintain a slight bit of throttle over the fence and on carrier approaches. Once you close the throttle, she drops hard. You want to let her settle, carrying a bit of energy. For carrier approaches, once you get her on glideslope she holds the angle well with very slight nudges of power. She traps very clean if she is not stalling at the deck.

This is a big, heavy, powerful aerobat. With the short wings she is incredibly nimble but prone to high speed stalls. Watch throttle closely in aerobatic flying and bring on power with care or she'll flat spin without notice.

Coordinate your turns. The flight model is very precise and the Tigercat will ride like an un-broke horse if you don't balance rudder input.

Set throttle RPM with brakes locked for takeoff, use yellow line MAP and apply a few degrees of positive trim, if not, she dances on the nose wheel.

The Tigercat is not a counter rotated twin. Asymetric power on takeoff is critical as holding full rudder won't keep her straight in a cross wind.

Last Minute Update:

At the last stage of this build one of our members, whom I think everyone will recognize, has decided to add his special talents to the sound file. The existing sound file is exquisite, but TeD is layering in even more depth. An additional sound layer incorporating the unmistakable Tigercat Howl has been added, as well as other refinements currently in process. Here's a short video that shows the raw power, aerobatic capability and incredible sound that you will experience in the F7F-1 Tigercat. TF has an awesome talent for bringing out the personality of an airplane via sound. This is going to be a treat!

Crank it up....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ewa1ao5UJyY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Video courtesy of Ted "TF" Wolfgang
    Last edited by gman5250; August 21st, 2015 at 18:47.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Congrats gman! fabulous! was a great experience to be a beta member. this is truly a great work of art.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Thanks for the wonderful gift gman
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Great news! Thanks to everyone involved in bringing this beast to life in FS!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davido53 View Post
    Looks awesome but the pilot looks a bit too small.
    https://flic.kr/p/dfEBLt
    Perhaps it is camera angle.

There was a discussion in the development page regarding the pilot size. Mr. Shupe shared the actual stats of the pilot, who sits with his head nearly touching the canopy top and his shoulders against the canopy on each side. The baseball cap worn by the actual test pilot leaves the illusion that the pilot is short, but when in a flight helmet the pilot is actually very tightly fitted to the airplane.
    Last edited by gman5250; August 21st, 2015 at 18:33.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

I just flew it ! It's awesome, handles so well and I nailed the landing. well done to everyone involved, what a gift ! Mike

Thanks again gman and crew! Amazing plane! Flies great and looks good!

Can you say something about the sound package? It seems there is two versions there?
    In the readme: "Select the set you like for each variant". Two cfg´s to choose? How to do that?

Thanks and congratulations
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

I had to use Control-E. What's the startup procedure?

As a moderator, this gets my vote for a sticky !

Absolutely superb!!!!!......can't wait........hurry up "admins" and get this baby posted!!!!!
    OS Vista 64 Home Basic
    WD 1.5 TB HD
    EVGA 550Ti 2GB MEM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS 8GB RAM
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHZ
    XION High Performance 1000W PS
    FSX/Acceleration

Lovely work...

With that noise it's not going to be a sneak-up-on-em-and-surprise-em plane...

Sticky for sure! Downloaded. Thank You for Yours work and passion : )))) !

Direct LINK (214 Mb):

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...P3D-Native-zip

Some pictures:

- external is really good done!
    - very, very nice sounds
    - something wrong in external with antennas (white, blue, white - it looks for me like the mdl takes antenna skin from wrong place of unpainted parts)
    - VC could be better, but as I know its a only external model, maybe next step is to do a little improve VC with glass effect?
    - just question about Tacpack (I saw screenies with Tackpacked version...) is it present here or not in this version?
    - CRG again, nice & beauty BEAST with sweet and soft line! : )
    Last edited by YoYo; August 21st, 2015 at 23:37.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

It's a beauty, guys! Well done!!
    Externally, it looks fabulous, the sounds woke up the rest of the family. Flies great too.
    OK, the VC is a bit dark, and the engine textures look a bit simple from the cockpit, but then the price is right..
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Just finished my first flight in this beautiful aircraft.
    Thank you very much for your great work on the Tigercat.
    Very impressive addon

Christoph

Thank you so much for this iconic airplane - you`ve done a very, very good job on her

Thanks to all

I'd forgotten how different this is to fly.. similar in many ways to the P-38 which also 'sits back' on it's main gear. First successful trap on HMS Ocean with no dramas
    I notice a small FR hit on my rig.. due I guess to the large maps and my 1024 frame buffer but very nice nonetheless.

ATB
    DaveB

Is there a paintkit planned at all for this beauty?

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Is there a paintkit planned at all for this beauty?
    I was thinking of you, Jankees as I was doing the basic skins. The PK is Photoshop format with all of the layers broken out for you. I have intentionally not done many skins, or added extreme detail to the existing so that you and the others can do your magic. I put my focus into the foundational metal skin details and bump mapping to provide everyone a good canvas. I'll be adding a blank skin right away.

If there is anything specific you would like to see in the PK let me know and I'll make sure it's in there. Right now the PK has layers for basic skin including UVW mesh, metal texture overlays, rivets and panels, basic wear & stains, bump maps, alpha and spec.

The model is very responsive to light so you will be able to take full advantage of the palette and explore on this one. I'll look forward to your work.

I still think your P38s are the best work I have seen, absolutely brilliant.

The cockpit...I've given this a lot of thought. I will be doing a full cockpit upgrade as time permits. For now the cockpit is adequate and comfortable, but this model is definitely worthy of a fully modeled VC.
    Last edited by gman5250; August 22nd, 2015 at 04:30.
    Thomas Jefferson

Excellent!

Stickied and I'm downloading now
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Very nice! Trapped her already three times! Great plane!

Thanks!

Cees

Thanks Gordon and Milton (and rest of those who contributed)... wonderful model.

Matt

What a great surprise to wake up to. The talent of SOH members is something to behold. The talent of ******** is quite obvious with the gift of this great aircraft. What is also very much appreciated is his thinking of one of our hobbies best painters for the repaint schemes. Looking forward to the Tigercat addon's. Let the paint schemes flow.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Regarding the F7F Tigercat and carrier use, a coincidence in history (myself, having extensively covered the Navy P-51D "Seahorse" project), is that the F7F carrier trials took place at the very same time as the P-51D and B-25H/PBJ-1H carrier trials, from the USS Shangri-La, in mid-November 1944, sailing through the Chesapeake Bay - for instance, on Nov. 17, 1944, had you been on the USS Shangri-La, you would have seen all three types perform carrier launches and traps through the day.

Thank you GMan, and everyone else involved, for this FSX/P3D conversion and enhancement of the Milton Shupe/SOH F7F! I'm really looking forward to flying it as soon as I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    What a great surprise to wake up to. The talent of SOH members is something to behold. The talent of ******** is quite obvious with the gift of this great aircraft. What is also very much appreciated is his thinking of one of our hobbies best painters for the repaint schemes. Looking forward to the Tigercat addon's. Let the paint schemes flow.

I could not say it better.

Members who have read this thread: 5