Anybody using an HDTV for a monitor?

Thread: Anybody using an HDTV for a monitor?

Anybody using an HDTV for a monitor?

Hi guys, I am upgrading my video card from a lowly GTX 650 up to a GTX 960 card. and have been contemplating a move from a 24 inch monitor to something bigger. Likely in the 32 inch range. Monitors in that size can run north of 1000 USD. However there are a lot of high definition 1080p LED televisions for much less. Many are 60 mhz native refresh rate, which is definitely PC compatible. My main worry is resolution. I typically run 1920x1080 res on my monitor. Am thinking an HDTV would be more like 1366 res.

Anybody using a HDTV today? what are the considerations and recommendations along these lines?

E

I use a Samsung UE32H5500 32" HDTV at 1920x1080, its native resolution, @60 hz
    It's absolutely fine and even better with 2.0x or 3.0x DSR.
    It was about a third of the price of the same sized monitor and as far as
    I can tell, does exactly the same job just as well.

I'm using a 37" Vizio. Works great. I've had it for several years. It runs at 1920X1080x32. You can pick up a Vizio 40" for around $400.00. Pretty good deal if you ask me. TV/monitor prices have never been better than they are today.

I have 2 computers running to my Hanspree 32" HDTV. My main FSX computer is connected via the PC port on the TV and the other dev/text computer is connected via HDMI. Works great, was inexpensive.

I use an HDMI cable and for the purposes of FS it works fine. 19-pin digital is 19-pin digital. Just a different arrangement.

Any LCD/LED HDTV IS a monitor, with a bunch of extra stuff put in.

I use a 37" Panasonic, works great.

I am hoping the soon-to-be-released "Steam Link", will support controller systems like my Saitek X52, so I can stream FSX-Steam to my 60" Samsung in my living room. I connect wirelessly to watch Netflix, etc...so being able to flight sim on that large screen would be awesome! When I lived in TN I had a ceiling mounted DLP projector, with a wall mounted pull-down screen. But I don't have room for that type of set up. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zibell View Post
    Any LCD/LED HDTV IS a monitor, with a bunch of extra stuff put in.

I use a 37" Panasonic, works great.

Well, I looked at my desktop real estate and decided to go 28 inches for now. I also decided to go 4K UHD LED as I got a good price. So, picked up one of these from microcenter today. I figure with a display port connection, I can run this at 3840x2160 res. (which the monitor supports.) though no idea if I can run FSX that mode.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    Well, I looked at my desktop real estate and decided to go 28 inches for now. I also decided to go 4K UHD LED as I got a good price. So, picked up one of these from microcenter today. I figure with a display port connection, I can run this at 3840x2160 res. (which the monitor supports.) though no idea if I can run FSX that mode.

What scenery is that? Looks even better than Orbx....

The thought had never entered my head to use a modern day TV screen. My brother wants to get rid of his 42" LG TV, so I think I'll accommodate him and take it off his hands.

It has several USB outlets, so that should allow me to plug in to my computer.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pips View Post
    The thought had never entered my head to use a modern day TV screen. My brother wants to get rid of his 42" LG TV, so I think I'll accommodate him and take it off his hands.

It has several USB outlets, so that should allow me to plug in to my computer.
    Actually, what you're looking for to plug in your PC is a HDMI port (it prob. has one, so don't worry too much). You got that and a cable, bam, new monitor.

Beware of plasma TV's though, they will not like the still images that come with PC usage.

i use a 55" ROKUTV...works great.

Doesn't so big monitor need a very wide table?

Doesn't so big monitor need a very wide table?
    I find placement of a keyboard and Saitek X-52 to be the big problem with using a large HDTV screen. We have a Samsung 40" in between two PC work stations, all housed in a wall unit of shelves. My FS station is on one side with a PC box on the floor and a 24" Dell screen. The PC (hi end) also feeds the HDTV via a HDMI out of the PC. Works and looks great showing FS. HOWEVER, there is no real convenient way for me find a place for the keyboard and stick to sit back far enough from the wall unit with the HDTV in order to see what I am doing. Have looked at wireless keyboard + stick solutions but nothing really decent seems available.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

70" Sharp color corrected for graphics work.

Members who have read this thread: 0