AI Question - Chevy/ Ford time!

Thread: AI Question - Chevy/ Ford time!

AI Question - Chevy/ Ford time!

Hi all. What is everyone using for add-on AI traffic? I have UT2 and was wondering if there is something better. I do not have UPS and FEDEX, which are rather important to have at most airports for my kind of flying. I have tried to add in WOAI using some older instructions I found, but I keep getting errors, so I gave up. Fill me in, please, on what works the best! I need some good traffic. Thanks. I appreciate the help!

Don

Lots of options and (always) lots of strongly held opinions when this question comes up.

I use MyTraffic 6. Reasons: good performance on my system, lots of variety (including airlines, GA and, uniquely for a commercial AI package, military). I haven't seen UPS but I don't spend a lot of time on the cargo ramp. Have seen lots of Fedex.

Disadvantages: the quality of models is highly variable - some are excellent, some are crude. Also, it doesn't run real-world schedules the way UT2 does - that may or may not matter to you. It does a good job of populating airports with the right carriers and the atmosphere is plausible (to borrow a phrase from X-Plane partisans...)

There are people who can't stand MT6. UT2 has its strong supporters. And there are those who are strongly in favor of a WOAI-only setup. Too much work for me but maybe not for you - and maybe it'll work better for you without UT2 running alongside, not sure.

I'm sure you'll hear more from others, including those that have put the work into building freeware-only setups.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Thanks, Alan. I do hope to hear more. I want to hear the praises and the curses.

Don

I had My Traffic.. Then Traffic 360. I didn't care much for them... So for years I just used the FSX default.

I now use WOAI. It took about an hour to download all the US packages they had , and about an hour to install them all.

When I have time I will install other countries files to populate even more.

The only thing about WOAI I dislike is that it shuts down FSX traffic. But as with all FSX things, there are trade offs.

WAOI shouldn't shut down default FSX traffic. As I remember, they're FS9 format so run the traffic files through AIFP to convert them to FSX format. They'll still work and you'll get your default stuff back

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    WAOI shouldn't shut down default FSX traffic. As I remember, they're FS9 format so run the traffic files through AIFP to convert them to FSX format. They'll still work and you'll get your default stuff back

ATB
    DaveB
    Hey Dave. I am not aware of that program you mentioned. I would assume then I would have to uninstall them all and start over?

Cool. Thanks for the tip.

Not sure, but I think some now are FSX ?

Hello Mate

You can get AIFP here.. http://stuff4fs.com/open.asp?Folder=AIFP&JS=TRUE

Last time I used WOAI, they were all FS9 (like MAIW files) and I remember having to convert them when I moved to FSX. This may have changed but it's worth checking. If you've lost your default AI, it's a dead cert that one or more of your traffic files is FS9 format.

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Hello Mate

You can get AIFP here.. http://stuff4fs.com/open.asp?Folder=AIFP&JS=TRUE

Last time I used WOAI, they were all FS9 (like MAIW files) and I remember having to convert them when I moved to FSX. This may have changed but it's worth checking. If you've lost your default AI, it's a dead cert that one or more of your traffic files is FS9 format.

ATB
    DaveB

Thanks Dave... I'll look into it.. I am certain that I have lots of FS9 ones installed...

RetroAI. So. Much. RetroAI.

TWA, PanAm, Republic, PeoplExpress...the classy stuff, y'know.

Took me a while to install though. And it's still not quite done.

I roll all my own AI. Use AIFP and models / plans pulled from all the usual sources, AVSIM, FLIGHTSIM, MAIW, AI GROUP, Ghiom's Raw flight plans, JCAI, etc. I do have a few WoAI thrown in the mix, but I don't use their package installer, I just install to a temp location and pick and choose what I want.

This is of course time consuming and it depends on what level of realism you want at any particular location.

scott s.

Mil AI is all MAIW, my civie stuff is a mixture of WOAI, AIG, and other authors. For the civie AI, I initially started to just add the "majors", but then that lead to regional and small charter/corporate/large cargo. I strive to keep it updated, but that is almost impossible. AIFP3(FSX conversion/flightplan mods) and ADE 1.65 (airport mods) work well for me.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Blog Entries
    Civilian:

Calclassic AI - converted for FSX. I alternate between either the '57 or '62, depending on whether I'm looking for Connies and DC-6s filling my skies, or 707s, DC-8s or Caravelles in the skies.

Military:

Calclassic MATS, again, either '57 or '62, depending on my type of flying. That gives some nice "base" coverage at most US air bases with some basic transports. Then I layer on converted MAIW, again, time adjusted to suit different aircraft of the period I'm interested in. Also have all the ACG/JY AI for UK, backdated in some cases to go to older types.

dl

Members who have read this thread: 0