The new sim based on FS? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The new sim based on FS?

Did anyone here notice the post by Aimee regarding the fact that "Flight technology" does not refer to any specific former program?

Just to clear things up a little, we do not have plans to bring DFS to XBox at this time.

Additionally, "Flight technology" is in reference to MS flight simulation technology, and isn't specific to any one title.
    See here for the original post: http://www.avsim.com/index.php/_/pri...5#comment_9033
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Dutcheeseblend View Post
    I'd really love a new sim if port-overs from FSX etc. can be done. Oh, I remember there's an FSX addon converter kinda thingy for Flight! Didn't work for me the first time, but that's what I'm used to
    I'd be really surprised about that. Because anything that can be ported over won't have to be bought as DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I'd be really surprised about that. Because anything that can be ported over won't have to be bought as DLC.
    I'm wondering if the new sim will have a $5.00 special sale price on Steam once in a while...lol

one thing to be sure of...this won't be vaporware...if these guys say its on the way...its on the way
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Did anyone here notice the post by Aimee regarding the fact that "Flight technology" does not refer to any specific former program?

See here for the original post: http://www.avsim.com/index.php/_/pri...5#comment_9033
    One could ponder what else it would refer too....

MS "Flight technology" is FS4 upto and including MSFlight, isn't it. Besides, for obvious reasons it's easy to understand that DTG would rather close their business than dare mentioning the name 'MSFlight', certainly in relation to their upcoming 'DFS' . Volkswagen AG and BMW own Rolls-Royce but they wouldn't sell a single Ghost 'Black One' for more than half a million dollar if they'd called it Volkswagen Ghost 'Black One'.

I, for one, can't really think of anything else than a souped up merger of FSX and MSFlight. ( with completely refurbished ATC. That already would not refer to any specific former program )

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    by the way - did you see the link I posted to their recruitment of an aircraft modeler for this project?
    Hehe... Yep! Waaaay out of my league, i'm just a bloody amateur, dedicated that's true. Besides, i have other work to do.

I'm wondering if the new sim will have a $5.00 special sale price on Steam once in a while...lol

one thing to be sure of...this won't be vaporware...if these guys say its on the way...its on the way
    Their TS series goes on sale once in a while, so why not. Probably nothing like the bargain that FSXSE is/was, but you're probably going to see FS2016 on sale when FS2017 is out.

Sure thing they'll deliver, but the question is *what* they'll deliver.

Their TS series goes on sale once in a while, so why not. Probably nothing like the bargain that FSXSE is/was, but you're probably going to see FS2016 on sale when FS2017 is out.

Sure thing they'll deliver, but the question is *what* they'll deliver.
    whatever it is - it will be worth a look, so until then I will remain the optimist here I guess..an unusual occupation for me I assure you.
    enter..the Sandman

Didn't quite escape.
    You clearly have no experience with Train Sim, Bjoern - Rail Simulator packages from donkeys years ago still work with the current versions of TS and it's perfectly possibly to run TS with only freeware or external to Steam (e.g. bought from JustTrains, Aerosoft or simMarket) add-ons. Many of them are better quality than the "DLC" on Steam...

DTG aren't the out-and-out money grab that people think they are. Of course they want to sell DLC, they're a company, not a charity, but the TS architecture is as open as FSX's is and there's no reason to believe that they'll go down the path that MS so badly failed in with Flight. They already do know better and if anyone believes TS is locked down, it can only be because they've never looked off Steam for add-ons.

Can't comment on Fishing.

Ian P.

Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    Can't comment on Fishing.

Ian P.
    I can...
    Like constipation, it's the thief of time.

....and Golf ruins a really good walk...

They are looking for an aircraft modeler...
    http://www.dovetailgames.com/vacanci...artist-vach011
    This bit will narrow down the field unless someone is willing to relocate...
    If you think you have what it takes to be part of our journey, then join the team in one of our UK locations in Chatham or Stirling.

You clearly have no experience with Train Sim, Bjoern - Rail Simulator packages from donkeys years ago still work with the current versions of TS and it's perfectly possibly to run TS with only freeware or external to Steam (e.g. bought from JustTrains, Aerosoft or simMarket) add-ons. Many of them are better quality than the "DLC" on Steam...

DTG aren't the out-and-out money grab that people think they are. Of course they want to sell DLC, they're a company, not a charity, but the TS architecture is as open as FSX's is and there's no reason to believe that they'll go down the path that MS so badly failed in with Flight. They already do know better and if anyone believes TS is locked down, it can only be because they've never looked off Steam for add-ons.

Ian P.
    Having been playing at TS for a couple years now and the associated experience with Steam, Dovetail Games, DLC, better 3rd-party offerings, etc., that that entails, I agree on both points.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    I can...
    Like constipation, it's the thief of time.

....and Golf ruins a really good walk...
    haha - its funny because its true...
    enter..the Sandman

The last train simulator I've tried was LokSim3D.

And as good as you make DT's train sim stuff sound, someone has to keep your head out of the clouds and your feet nailed to the ground least everything implodes should the flight simulator thing really turn out to be a dud.
    As "On The Ball"'s manual puts it: "An overmotivated player is just as harmful to the team as an unmotivated one."

For what it's worth, Flight isn't bad technology. In fact, I think it would be a mistake to not use the Flight engine on their simulator. If they have access to both FSX and Flight, why not combine both? Flight's stable and very powerful graphics engine combined with FSX's systems and functionality would make for a very great sim.

Also, I'm curious where the tradition of putting an exclamation point after the "Flight" name came from. I don't believe that was ever a part of the name or logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughes-MDflyer4 View Post
    For what it's worth, Flight isn't bad technology. In fact, I think it would be a mistake to not use the Flight engine on their simulator. If they have access to both FSX and Flight, why not combine both? Flight's stable and very powerful graphics engine combined with FSX's systems and functionality would make for a very great sim.
    I agree, I found the Flight engine to be quite good, the Flight format did just not utilize the engine to its fullest.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

I'm split between optimism and skepticism on this. If done right (being 64bit) would certainly open the doors to curing a lot of FSXA's ills. The biggest question is whether there will be an SDK and/or migration capability for devs to get their aircraft & scenery into this? If not, I have serious doubts this is going to go very far. We'll know soon enough I suppose.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Didn't quite escape.
    True, Bjoern, and my feet are firmly on the ground. I have no expectations of this sim - I just go around correcting the people who repeatedly say that DTG is all about the DLC, therefore it will be MS Flight with a different logo, etc.

As my favourite thing to drive in TS is the Armstrong-Powerhouse Class 90 (http://www.armstrongpowerhouse.com/i...product_id=131) - which I got well before a cut-down version became available as Steam DLC - plus a number of the JustTrains Advanced add-ons which aren't available through Steam, I can very much say that while TS is a lot more DLC oriented than FSX is, you can run it without, Dovetail also do include quite detailed SDKs and are very much open to 3PDs.

I would doubt, personally, that the new sim will directly support FSX aircraft or simple methods of porting them over. I'm not entirely sure that DTG do and, unsurprisingly, Aimee and associates aren't saying.

Cheers,

Ian P.

Is it just me - or is it beginning to look like we're going to have (at least) four separate versions of "FS-XI" ? As a developer, I can only realistically support one or two of them (plus X-Plane which I have recently restarted developing for). I will likely migrate toward the one that has the best SDK - and hopefully fixes some of the problems with original SDK - especially SimConnect.
    "Being good is not enough when you dream of being great"
    Author of NEUWUC family of programs

Didn't quite escape.
    In terms of "FS11", there's P3Dv2 and DTG FS. P3Dv1 is effectively just FSX+Accel, X-Plane is a completely different path, so I don't understand where you're getting four from?

With the rapid divergence that is inevitable between Dovetail and Lockheed-Martin, supporting the two is going to become increasingly difficult. I suspect it's going to be a choice between the two, rather than the option of supporting both, for many developers.

Cheers,

Ian P.

As my favourite thing to drive in TS is the Armstrong-Powerhouse Class 90 (http://www.armstrongpowerhouse.com/i...product_id=131) - which I got well before a cut-down version became available as Steam DLC - plus a number of the JustTrains Advanced add-ons which aren't available through Steam, I can very much say that while TS is a lot more DLC oriented than FSX is, you can run it without, Dovetail also do include quite detailed SDKs and are very much open to 3PDs.
    Speaking of trains: "Train Fever" is on sale on Steam. 6€ for an up-to-date Railroad Tycoon. And tons of free mods to boot!

Just from things that I do know but will not elaborate on further, your FSX stuff will work in it.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Just from things that I do know but will not elaborate on further, your FSX stuff will work in it.
    This worries me a bit if it's true. The only real way forward for the flight simulator code base is to drop compatibility with existing addons. Even Prepar3D, as improved as it is, is held back by its attempt to support existing addons at a basic level.

This would also mean that the Microsoft Flight engine is not being used, which would be a mistake IMO. While some scenery/terrain formats in that engine stayed similar despite many improvements (DEM remained the same, other types of BGLs did change a bit though), aircraft and model formats were completely changed. This lack of staying on old design concepts and code is what allowed Flight's engine to perform so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    ...(plus X-Plane which I have recently restarted developing for).
    Glad to hear this

Quote Originally Posted by Hughes-MDflyer4 View Post
    ... aircraft and model formats were completely changed. This lack of staying on old design concepts and code is what allowed Flight's engine to perform so much better.
    Just for information, the aircraft model format was Granny3D. Have a look at the pricing for that modelling tool some time...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members who have read this thread: 2