Poll: Radios and GPS in a classic aircraft. - Page 2

View Poll Results: Radios and GPS in a classic aircraft?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • All original baby.. Don't add ANYTHING new!

28 38.89%
  • No - Add the newer radios and GPS in a pop-up panel.

44 61.11%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: Radios and GPS in a classic aircraft.

Poll: Radios and GPS in a classic aircraft.

Dear friends,
    when I do my panels I try to find radios that look as the radios which equiped the aircraft on it's service time.
    As you certainly most knows it is difficult to radios like this.
    Milton Shupe has a lot of "old" radios in his planes.
    But for fighters, especially german ones it is quit difficult to find equivalents.
    There is another possibility to see the things: alot of old warplanes fly today thanks to their owners and associations.
    Off course they need todays radios to get flying permission. So it is interessant to see how on these planes with fully historic restaurated cockpits they do for the modern radio equipment installation with out hurting the original cockpit aspect

So, the poll should have a third option: both.
    In the DC2 we have both options, in 2 different panels.
    Both reflecting reality:
    1) the mid 50-ies restauration/update of the DC2, with simple nav/com/adf radio's and instruments
    2) the recent 2010 update, with the full modern radio options, including GPS, transponder etc.

Cheers, Rob
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Radios and GPS in classic aircraft

I would vote for a vintage cockpit with popup modern enhancements. Personally, I like to see developers present a VC cockpit that enables users to substitute and swap out gauges to suit their own preferences. When I download a new aircraft, I research original flight manuals or vintage cockpit images to determine the cockpit layout including specific gauges and then modify the cockpit to my preference. After a few years of flying FSX, I have a fair number of "steam gauges" to draw on and have modified a number of cockpits--strictly for my own use!

Thank you for the survey.

Poll: Radios and GPS in a classic aircraft.

Good evening,
    to heaten up a bit this discusion here screenshot of a modern F7F panel I'm working on.
    It is based on photos and documents I kindly got from Milton Shupe

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    Love the way they were flown/navigated, and learned to do it pretty much the way you did. In my case it was in MSFS for Macintosh, c. 1985, using the FAA approach plates (cheaper than Jepp charts).
    Ok!

It's just that FSX isn't always satisfying as a period sim, and I like the idea (or at least, like having the option) of handling a vintage aircraft in modern airspace with the added convenience of a transponder and a GPS, at least for visualization (note: no reference here to FMS or magenta lines or even autopilot!). As others have said, I sometimes operate as though I was flying an old aircraft to an airshow, or otherwise attracting lots of attention when I bring something with big radials into a 2015 airport.
    Sure, i understand of course. It's great to still be able to do cross country flights f.i. with vintage propfighters that only have a compass for navigation. But du moment there is VOR or NDB navigation available i'd prefer that over GPS anytime. First love i suppose...

Side note: I do a lot of this in my local (Washington, DC) airspace, which is so complicated and so restricted that the GPS picture really helps. And one of my local fields (KCGS) offers only one IAP, which is a GPS/RNAV procedure.
    I noticed, yes. Not even in my Washington IAP booklet.. Remarkable though what you can find in the net these days re terminal charts !

So in all, it's nice to have the option of flying this way... but also nice to do without sometimes and go back to the old ways. It's a shame those FS9 radio ranges don't port well into FSX/P3D. Now, having made all these points, I've just decided to take all the GPS options out of my A2A Comanche and see if I can get in and out of my local neighborhood using only VORs. I suppose it depends on my mood...
    One of the reasons i gave up on FS aircraft design was to finally be able to just enjoy again what FS is actually made for. Enjoyed countless flights with JF DC-6 ( although 'light' but imho still their best propliner) and Manfred's Connies, always with, although far from perfect, default FSX ATC (flying without ATC just doesn't float my boat), but then here comes Manfred with his exquisite DC-3 with modern cockpit....

PS - I'll happily fly your DC-3 VVC with whatever equipment you include when it comes out of the shop!
    Check this out, Alan.. :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post972047

I'm with Javis & have nearly identical experiences (still got my Vic20 & Com64). Was just saying the same thing on another forum a few days ago. There is something magical flying using radio nav only & prefer not to use a GPS. That said I really don't care if a GPS exists as a popup window on a classic AC but would cringe if it were part of the VC. Would it's appearance be a deal breaker? Probably not all things being equal but I would prefer if it weren't there.
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

We're finding some neat things in our data collection.. For you 'keep it classic' folks!

VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    I did.

Is love too strong a word?

Waiting, waiting, waiting for a VOR-only flight...

Maybe on Christmas morning?

"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by fsxar177 View Post
    We're finding some neat things in our data collection.. For you 'keep it classic' folks!
    Best of both worlds!
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Thank-you to everyone who participated in this poll, and discussion. Am pretty sure we know exactly which direction(s) to go..

Best regards!
    - Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Members who have read this thread: 4