FS9 back to old antics - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS9 back to old antics

SS101,

Let's see if we can break the 77% barrier!

Alan

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    First flight on the "straight" installation of FS9 went without a hitch of any kind.

All I did was adjust graphics settings to suit me, plus assign keys where they needed to be assigned. Otherwise, this is a stock installation.

I should mention I did not download weather from the web but went with the stock "fair weather" setting.

SS101,

Congrats on being able to run the 'Vanilla' version!

Now, try the same thing with one of your 'other' Installs... have a Shortcut pointed to the FS9.exe file in the specific Sim you want to run, and start it up. See if it fires up, or hangs again at the 77% mark...

Alan

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Will give this a try tomorrow afternoon, after the weekly Saturday morning scrub for the house.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Well, it took a while but I ran every one of these sims. Here are the results:

FS9 TEST, G drive - normal start. Size - 2.66GB

FS1970s, G drive - gets to 77% using default flight and weather, stops and restarts. Size - 13.8GB.
    FS1980s, G drive - normal start. Size - 3.05GB
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Flight Simulator 9, E drive - normal start-up screen appears when started, FS9 icon appears on bottom bar, takes approx 40 mins. to load. Size - 326GB (reckon this is why I want to break this one up into smaller iterations).
    FSSW, E drive - black box same size as start-up screen appears when started, FS9 icon appears on bottom bar, takes approx 15 mins. to load, otherwise normal start. Size - 132GB.
    FSSW50, E drive - black box same size as start-up screen appears when started, FS9 icon appears on bottom bar, takes approx 7 mins. to load, otherwise normal start. Size - 75GB.
    FSSW60, E drive - black box same size as start-up screen appears when started, FS9 icon appears on bottom bar, takes approx 15 mins. to load, otherwise normal start. Size - 85.1GB.
    Default weather used in all sims.

NOTE: Got the following msg while starting FS9 on E drive:
    SCENERY.CFG file error. Local scenery directory (E:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FlightSimTools.com\Airport Wizard\scenery_FS9\SCENERY) in scenery Area.086 not found. Click OK to continue.

SS101,

This is just my personal opinion, but instead of 'breaking up' your E Drive versions, I would just bite the bullet and use 'fresh' Installs to build the versions you want. With the 'TEST' and '1980's' as a baseline, re-build the GW versions from scratch, slowly add things one at a time, and test as you go along. Also, I would make sure that any add ons you plan to use are also fresh, and aren't using any elements from your previous Installations.

I feel your pain; six months after my Desktop rig failed, wiping out an FS9 Install that was four years in the making, I too am starting from scratch with my 'new' Laptop. I want to make a GW Install also, but want to take my time and make sure I do it right. I'm keeping this Version vanilla for the most part, with just add on airplanes to keep it 'small'.

Keep on Truckin'...

Alan

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to address that issue in FS9's scenery.cfg file before I do anything.

I'm out of pocket for a week or so but will get started back on this on the 24th. Thanks for your input, VP!

Members who have read this thread: 0