DCS Standalone or Steam version?

Thread: DCS Standalone or Steam version?

DCS Standalone or Steam version?

I saw a YT video today and learned of a 70% sale of some modules for this so I headed off to DCS to investigate. I was tempted but then I read some forum comments. Apparently there is the DCS installed version and a Steam version. The two seem not to be interchangeable i.e if you purchase a module from DCS and you have a Steam install then you cannot install it in the Steam version and vice versa.
    Is this true, it seems ridiculous that a niche market can afford to be so divisive. Can someone with experience clear this up. I guess I will miss the sale deadline but I would rather that than opt for the wrong installed version.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Wheeeeesh - the sound of tumbleweeds blowing through the ghost town .......
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Wheeeeesh - the sound of tumbleweeds blowing through the ghost town .......
    Not too sure why DCS isn't more popular here. You'd think people would jump at the chance to fly and fight in their favourite combat aircraft.

In answer to your question, you are correct in that you cannot install modules bought from the Eagle Dynamics store for use with your Steam installation of DCS: World. I think this was a decision made by Valve/Steam themselves. However, I'm fairly certain that modules bought on Steam will install on the standalone installation of DCS:W. I've bought and gifted modules on Steam sale to friends with a standalone installation this way.

I have had little experience with DCS so far. What turned me off with it right off was the complexity of just assigning controller functions. Very confusing to me, and not nearly as straightforward as FSX or P3D. NC

So correct me if I am wrong, modules can go from Steam to DCS standalone but not vice versa?

And from what I can glean from reading, there are modules that are for the standalone that are not available through STEAM? Therefore it would be more beneficial to opt for the standalone install?

This also begs the Q that can there be 2 installs of the program on 1 PC, one under STEAM and one under DCS, the basic program being free after all.

Why is there not the interest here after all most folks here would seem to be of a military bias over civilian enthusiasts. Would there be more interest if there was more Western or US aircraft involved?
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I have had little experience with DCS so far. What turned me off with it right off was the complexity of just assigning controller functions. Very confusing to me, and not nearly as straightforward as FSX or P3D. NC
    Understandable. When I first started off with DCS: Black Shark way back in 2009, the hardest part for me was not learning the helicopter or navigating the Russian cockpit, it was setting up my joystick axes lol. It is oh so worth it when you do figure it out though.

So correct me if I am wrong, modules can go from Steam to DCS standalone but not vice versa?

And from what I can glean from reading, there are modules that are for the standalone that are not available through STEAM? Therefore it would be more beneficial to opt for the standalone install?
    Yes, that is correct, Steam modules can be installed in standalone but standalone modules can't be installed on the Steam version.

Currently, the only module not available on Steam is the CASA C-101 Aviojet, although I'm sure it will get a Steam release eventually. Steam modules tend to be released later than their standalone counterparts, and I like the flexibility and ease of access I have to the standalone folder, so I went with the standalone install (despite using Steam for just about everything else).

Why is there not the interest here after all most folks here would seem to be of a military bias over civilian enthusiasts. Would there be more interest if there was more Western or US aircraft involved?
    I'm not so sure, I think there are already *plenty* of US and NATO aircraft available that should be of interest to almost anyone here. P-51, F-86, UH-1H, A-10C and the upcoming F/A-18 and F-14. I just hope we see some sort of balance between numbers of NATO and Warsaw Pact aircraft rather than endless releases of F-16s by different developers in the future.

OK this knucklehead finally understands. So I missed the sale but I will paly around with the free base program to get to grips with it. It's been a while since I used a complex military sim. Anyway it got me dusting off the CDs for Lock On and Flaming Cliffs from over 10 years ago. It runs and looks great still on W7 machine. Oh its complex and my brain is hurting.....

Thanks again for taking the time to explain.
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

No worries! Also, ED tends to hold a number of sales throughout the year, I think there's another one coming up toward the end of the year.

Flaming Cliffs 3 is well worth the purchase, all the avionics and systems are still simplified, so you can more or less hop in and fly without reading thousands of pages of technical documents, but they've started adding 3D cockpits and advanced flight models. For some real fun, you should see how the Su-27 handles at the edge of the envelope when you're pulling a Cobra manoeuvre.

Members who have read this thread: 0