Michael Pook Contact Info ?

Thread: Michael Pook Contact Info ?

Michael Pook Contact Info ?

Does anyone have an e-mail address or other contact information for Michael Pook? I would like to contact him about his unauthorized distribution of some of my stuff, but he provides no contact information in his uploads.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Does anyone have an e-mail address or other contact information for Michael Pook? I would like to contact him about his unauthorized distribution of some of my stuff, but he provides no contact information in his uploads.
    That's probably why he doesn't list contact info.

Sometimes someone will break copyright without meaning any harm. They are not by nature repeat offenders and will usually will bend over backwards to make things right. I have no major problems with those guys. It's the ones who consistently do it and don't care about copyright that I have issues with. And they're usually a pain in the rear to contact.

There's been a lot of developers drop out of the FS/CFS world because they have gotten tried of other people taking credit for their hard work.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Blog Entries

One thing I find inexplicable...

To wit:

Personally, I think of myself as a pretty good artist.. actually, I am lying... I think I do superb graphics work... at any rate... I have seen some of my work copied
    used, applied, etc. and it never bothered me... a: because I think imitation is the greatest form of praise even though tacit...
    b: (and most important) because what I do is for anyone's enjoyment and I do not make a penny through it... (and here is the source of my perplexity... i.e.: copyright laws HAVE A PURPOSE... and that is... to avoid the unauthorized exploitation of someone's intellectual work... and here is the crux of the matter: for copyright laws to apply... one has to register one's intellectual property in some way... NOT JUST PUTTING A LITTLE CIRLE WITH A "c" INSIDE!... Moreover...technically there is no infringement of copyright laws except where the intellectual property is registered... e.g.: [I am a retired physician] many medical textbooks used to be and still are "bootlegged" by China at a fraction of the original's cost... those texts are subject to immediate seizure and destruction in the US (Gray's Anatomy) England (Churchill-Davison Textbook of Anaesthesia, etc. BUT THEY CAN BE SOLD, EXCHANGED, BARTERED, ETC. in places like Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, ad infinutum... because those countries do not really give a hoot... and THE AUTHORS HAVE NO LEGAL RECOURSE there!!!
    So, in the end, this fixation with "copyright infringements" seems to be no more than an "ego trip" - this again is only a personal view - which belies one's stated purpose when we "publish" our work in these amateurish circles like SOH, Simviation, etc.. and state its purpose is pleasing our fellow hobbyists...
    Again, just from a personal and very subjective point of view, I do not put my stuff on the public domain, but rather make it available via PM and subsequent email.... asking the person requesting my artwork.. NOT TO ALTER IT... PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON THE TOP... so to speak..
    [mainly because...in my "own ego trip"... I hate to see someone's less artistically gifted changes to my work being assumed as performed by "yours truly"...
    So the long and the short of it... I am personally perplexed with this "copyright infringement" of work that is not really legally internationally copyrighted...
    If anyone imitates you or impersonates you IT IS BECAUSE YOUR WORK IS SO GOOD their poor image of self improves through emulating you...

Ciao for now,
    G.

Postscriptum: I am writing this blurb just to see how folks react to it... sort of a "fly on the wall perplexity" ... no offense to anyone and due
    pre-emptive apologies to anyone who disagrees... after this is a DISCUSSION FORUM... where every one has an opinion... and we know about opinions... they are like anal sphincters... everyone has his or her own... (its main purpose: to put out the bad stuff only at the proper time...lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    That's probably why he doesn't list contact info.

Sometimes someone will break copyright without meaning any harm...
    I'm quite sure he meant no harm. I just want to let him know that here are a couple of sites where I don't like to see my paints - especially the one where he released one of my paints.

In this case he seems to have gotten my paint job from another modeler who used it with permission, and either didn't know about the restriction or didn't think to pass on the information. So I want to let him know.

He does know that I did the paint, because he credited someone with a name close enough to mine that it's probably an honest mis-spelling. But I'm not worried about credit - I just don't want my name or my paints on that site.

And I found his e-mail address. I looked through a few of his releases and finally found it.

Maybe he's trying to be hard to reach, but more likely he's just sometimes not remembering to add the contact information.

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    To wit:

Personally, I think of myself as a pretty good artist.. actually, I am lying... I think I do superb graphics work... at any rate... I have seen some of my work copied
    used, applied, etc. and it never bothered me... a: because I think imitation is the greatest form of praise even though tacit...
    b: (and most important) because what I do is for anyone's enjoyment and I do not make a penny through it... (and here is the source of my perplexity... i.e.: copyright laws HAVE A PURPOSE... and that is... to avoid the unauthorized exploitation of someone's intellectual work... and here is the crux of the matter: for copyright laws to apply... one has to register one's intellectual property in some way... NOT JUST PUTTING A LITTLE CIRLE WITH A "c" INSIDE!... Moreover...technically there is no infringement of copyright laws except where the intellectual property is registered... e.g.: [I am a retired physician] many medical textbooks used to be and still are "bootlegged" by China at a fraction of the original's cost... those texts are subject to immediate seizure and destruction in the US (Gray's Anatomy) England (Churchill-Davison Textbook of Anaesthesia, etc. BUT THEY CAN BE SOLD, EXCHANGED, BARTERED, ETC. in places like Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, ad infinutum... because those countries do not really give a hoot... and THE AUTHORS HAVE NO LEGAL RECOURSE there!!!...
    It's not about copyrights. It's about courtesy. This is about someone putting my paint work somewhere that I've specifically asked that they not be put and using my name in a way that makes it look like I approved of it.

I guess I could make it a copyright issue and demand that the site remove the files, but I'm sure it will be more effective, as easier for all concerned, if I just contact the gentleman and ask him to be more careful about where he uploads my paints and where he tosses my name around as if he had permission to put it there when he didn't.
    Last edited by Mick; August 3rd, 2015 at 09:52.

Blog Entries

If you read my post....

I wonder where you got the idea that my post has to do with copyrights? I never mentioned the subject... This is strictly about someone putting my paint stuff and my name somewhere that I've specifically asked that they not be put.

I guess I could make it a copyright issue and demand that the site remove the files, but I'm sure it will be more effective, as easier for all concerned, if I just contact the gentleman and ask him to be more careful about where he uploads my paints and where he tosses my name around as if he had permission to put it there when he didn't.
    As I see it.. (I might be wrong)... folks should use a forum to discuss things... so I thought I was doing that myself...
    I NEVER MENTIONED YOU PER SE IN MY POST... or yours being a copyright issue.. because it is NOT... as I amply explained... I think
    I just expressed my perplexity at all the legal notes, etc. accompanying most postings of models (NOT YOURS... I have never seen one of yours)
    that really have no REAL LIFE value (unless of course properly copyrighted)... and wanted to know the opinions about COPYRIGHTS... and how
    legally well informed folks are...
    At any rate... the Internet is a hinterland fraught with inconsistencies, non-issues, etc. and "word of mouth" stuff ... often unfounded but taken as
    gospel by the populace therein....
    But as you can see... it seems that most folks read but do not get very clear messages... I never said yours was or was not a copyright issue... just
    talked in general about this seemingly odd fixation so diffused in our medium... and my perplexity thereof... as well as curiosity about opinions on the subject...
    Yet your first response was "I wonder... etc. etc." Heck, right off the bat the question is unfounded... how can I formulate an answer to something I never really said... lol Please don't take offense... none was intended... I had hoped to elicit some fruitful discussion about the subject of copyright claims...

Again... if one does not want one's intellectual properties "misused"... one should not put them into the public domain without proper legal safeguards...
    Most sites in our hobby domain comply with requests to withdraw privately generated stuff without authorization... NOT BECAUSE they are copyright infringements.. but because it is much easier and no expense to comply... rather that have to pay lawyers to defend them from a nuisance suit...
    In other words...why spend money... when you don't have to... Notice that a lot of sites in Russia and similar places... don't seem to give a hoot and continue to
    post stuff they probably morally should not....

Foreseeing such a response as yours... I extended pre-emptive apologies...
    which I renew...

Have a nice day,
    G

Since the subject of copyrights has been raised, I'll take the opportunity to tell a funny story about copyrights. Oddly, though I had a long career in administrative law, and a less lengthy avocation as a writer, my day job had nothing to do with copyright law and this is the only time I had any involvement with copyright law and (almost) litigation.

I was writing a monthly column for a regional hang gliding magazine when I happened to pick up a copy of a national magazine from a newsstand (raise your hand of you're old enough to remember newsstands) and saw in it the latest issue of my column, word for word, including headline and byline. It was presented as a monthly feature and had apparently been for some time.

Letters were written, calls were made, threats were issued, and so forth. The national publisher insisted that they had permission to republish and that they'd been paying their standard rate for the column all along. Huh? I never gave any such permission, and I certainly hadn't seen any checks! Baloney, said the publisher, you cashed the checks and our bank can produce copies of the endorsements.

Before we could get copies of the signatures on any checks the national publisher went belly up and that was the end of it, a mystery that would never be solved. Or so we thought.

Well, it turned out that I wasn't the only Michael Morrissey who was involved in the hang glider business in New England in those days. A year or so later I met the other one. In the landing zone after a day's flying we got talking and the subject of that defunct national magazine came up. Mike mentioned how he'd once written a letter to the editor, and when they published it they sent him a check, and then he kept getting checks until the magazine ceased publication and the publisher went out of business.

The other Morrissey knew me by reputation and saw my column in both magazines, but he had no idea that I wasn't getting paid by the national magazine.

The amounts involved were small and we never attempted to settle up, but after that, whenever we flew together, he picked up the tab for my burgers and beer afterwards.

South of Possum Lodge in the 6ix, somewhere near YKZ
    Dominic Smith did a recent interview with Mr. Pook over at flightsim.com. Perhaps Mr. Smith or Nels would be able to help you contact Mr. Pook.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfSaw View Post
    Dominic Smith did a recent interview with Mr. Pook over at flightsim.com. Perhaps Mr. Smith or Nels would be able to help you contact Mr. Pook.
    Thanks. I found an e-address for him and wrote to ask him to please keep my name off of That Site, so I'm sure all will be well.

Members who have read this thread: 0