My first OOM

Thread: My first OOM

My first OOM

So on Friday I had my first oom since receiving my new pc (spec below). I was flying the CLS 747 200 in ORBX Ncal and within 20 minutes had MS report an oom and to restart FsX.

I run FsX in Dx10 with Steve's Fixer and my Nvidia 770 has 2 gig of ram. I don't want to reduce my settings so will upgrading my video card to 4 or 8 gig ram help avoid ooms?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Video card memory has nothing to do with FSX/P3D OOMs, there are many things you can do to avoid them like:
    - Use a 64bit OS, that gives you ~4Mb VAS memory (vs ~2GB with 32bit)
    - Do not use LOD_RADIUS values higher than 4.5
    - Do not use TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD values higher than 1024
    - Turn down autogen
    - Do not switch aircraft with the selection screen, best is to start with a saved flight

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    Video card memory has nothing to do with FSX/P3D OOMs, there are many things you can do to avoid them like:
    - Use a 64bit OS, that gives you ~4Mb VAS memory (vs ~2GB with 32bit)
    - Do not use LOD_RADIUS values higher than 4.5
    - Do not use TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD values higher than 1024
    - Turn down autogen
    - Do not switch aircraft with the selection screen, best is to start with a saved flight
    Thanks for the reply!
    I already have a 64 bit os (see my sig) and I enjoy my ORBX scenery at TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=6.5 so I guess I'll stick with my single and twins and ignore the big tubes, lol.
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

I heard (read) that 747 200 (And the DC10) from CLS has an incredible high VAS usage, even more than the ngx. That´s might be it.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Ahhhhh....that's very interesting! Thanks for the information.
    SYSTEM :

Roger,

Best thing I've found, is to download a program that monitors VAS being used. Then monitor that closely. I use Process Explorer.

Study this blog post.

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Roger, I used to have OOM issues back when I had FS9 & the original CLS DC-10 on my old XP PC. The OOM's were not consistent but I gathered that I was hitting some memory wall of some short between the model & some scenery (that both ate the memory up at the same time). In FSX, I have suffered similar (but separate) OOM & VAS crashes when flying the 737 NGX or the Aerosoft Airbus over very high density scenery. The only way I could cure the issue was to plan on backing off the density settings in game when I planned on flying in/around such scenery.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    What Joseph said...is the way to go. Then you can still fly your tubes! You may have to make some trade-offs
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I have 16GB of memory and all my flight sims are on one SSD drive. Is there anything different I need to considere other than the good advice listed above?
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
    DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified 1000W

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I have 16GB of memory and all my flight sims are on one SSD drive. Is there anything different I need to considere other than the good advice listed above?
    Always consider that some aircraft developers leave A LOT of sloppy code, which can really bog down your setup, regardless.

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Blog Entries
    ORBX Norcal has some real heavy hitters in the form of scenery objects that can gobble up your available resources. I used to typically hit the OOM wall on short final into SFO (Flightbeam) in just about any high end aircraft. Nothing against Flightbeam...I'll be getting the new SFO when released.

I can confirm that the CLS DC10 (great plane) hits VAS pretty hard, but turning down your texture setting to 2048 or 1024 (if you can tolerate it) goes a long way to get extended performance from the CLS tubes.

The wind farms surrounding the bay area, and the extremely detailed nature of the scenery require a pre-planning of how you might "spend" your resources. There were a number of conversations on the ORBX site regarding the windfarms, but after I left that group and removed the scenery I did not really follow the updates.

One option is to preplan your SIDS and STARS to avoid the areas containing the animated wind farms around Hayward and other hot spots. I believe there is an option to turn them off...can't remember.

FSX and P3Dv2 I usually turn down my scenery sliders to a more average setting when flying into LAX or SFO and hold my breath...lol. Another approach I use, say between DIA and SFO would be to turn down my settings after climb out and turn them back up (optional) somewhere in the early approach. You might to be able to enjoy your tubes by cheating the system a bit.

Prepar3Dv2
    Vegetation shadows receive=off
    Special Effects=low or mid
    Cloud and terrain shadows=mid range

These help a bunch.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

It seems to me that not even 64 bit OS is enough for FSX or P3D anymore (i.e. 4 GB VAS isn't enough). FSX is death end but there sure would be demand for a 64 bit P3D.

The crux of the OOM problem lies in the fact that FSX is a 32-bit program. You can have 128GB of RAM, but FSX will only address 4GB, regardless. The ultimate solution is a 64-bit flight sim, but until then the best thing to do is to move the scenery sliders to the left. I have heard that the Steam version of FSX does a little better job of managing the virtual address space, so it OOM's less often.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks for all the replies fellas What i didn't say is that I have had this 'new' pc for 2 years and this was my first oom, so I have done quite well avoiding them. I'll take texture max load down to 1024 or 2048 and try lod radius at 5.5.

Cheers,

Roger.
    SYSTEM :

Members who have read this thread: 0