Win 10 a spy in your home Beware!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win 10 a spy in your home Beware!!

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries

Win 10 a spy in your home Beware!!

hey think ill go grab my tin hat and line it with aluminum foil ........... even if it is true... I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE how about the rest of ya??

IF its true that the NSA is behind Win 10..then i say have at it..if they can use it to catch some terrorists or anyone else...like say the chinese hackers?...im all for it..thought im more pro law enforcement than alot of people...but i say...bring it..

I'm a flight simmer on the PC. Nothing more. I don't think I need the tin hat.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    hey think ill go grab my tin hat and line it with aluminum foil ........... even if it is true... I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE how about the rest of ya??

IF its true that the NSA is behind Win 10..then i say have at it..if they can use it to catch some terrorists or anyone else...like say the chinese hackers?...im all for it..thought im more pro law enforcement than alot of people...but i say...bring it..
    Same here. They can listen to my phone as well. My conversations will put them to sleep....ZZZZZZzzzzz. NC

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I am amazed at the sudden paranoia associated with Windows 10.

Who can say that data collection is a new thing. Every version of Windows may have been collecting your data. Every programme you install may have had a facility built in to collect data. Each version of FS that uses Real Weather has sent data to collect the weather information you use. Every programme that needs an internet connection to register new product is sending data from your computer.

Like Dave and Navy Chief I have nothing to hide. Any information from my computer would be very boring and as for my home phone I rarely use it.

With the scare campaigns some people use here regarding Windows 10 they should think about a career in politics where scare campaigns are the norm.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post

With the scare campaigns some people use here regarding Windows 10 they should think about a career in politics where scare campaigns are the norm.

right on aussieman...well said

Blog Entries
    IMHO

I am sick and tired of the comments insulting valid research as “tin foil hat conspiracy”.

I am personally insulted, as a dedicated researcher, when people too lazy to do their own investigation invalidate the work of others via their own apathy and ignorance. I have over forty years of dedicated work archived including vetted resource data, declassified government documents, legislation and endless studies into the abuses of governments and corporations against private individuals.

When one takes the position that having nothing to hide is a justification to betray the security of everyone else, you spit on the honorable men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice to defend your right to breathe.

In doing so you place the burden of vigilance upon the shoulders of people like ME who are unrelenting in our passion to remain free. Each person who abdicates their privacy through a EULA or any other device incrementally erodes the very foundation of every society.

It was Joseph Goebbels who exploited the idea of “Nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide”, seconded by Mark Zucherberg when he described his subscribes ad “Dumb F***ers”.

I do not share my opinions on this site so as not to offend the other members whom I deeply respect…regardless of their world view.
    I would suggest that others consider the weight of their comments and the reverberations of their own words prior to posting.

Yes….Windows 10 is nothing new. The intrusions go back to the early forties and have been relentless in their efforts to know everything about you. The problem is that current legislation is making it legal to do so… in direct violation to most international law. If that’s ok with you that’s fine…it is not OK with me.

If anyone has issue with hard facts I am more than willing to debate the data away from this forum.

This Bravo Sierra makes me LIVID every time I read one of these posts. For the record I do not tolerate disrespect nor insolence. Leaving this forum would not distress me in the slightest if these insults persist.

Gordon “********” Madison
    Last edited by gman5250; August 2nd, 2015 at 17:40.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

SOH-CM-2023
    Gordon:

I see your points and I agree with you for the most part.

Private individuals, hackers and corporations have NO business spying and collecting information about anyone without permission. You want to know something about me ??? Send me a survey and offer me money to answer. Hey, my time is worth something !!! I don't care if I have nothing to hide. It's my business, my privacy, I pay for it and I have the right to use the internet just like everyone else and resent private interests who invade that right.

Questions of national security are of a slightly different ilk. The arrival and development of the Internet has revolutionized information and communication exchange as never before. There are people who will use that technology in attempts to harm or kill as many of us (us= basically, the Western world) as they can, without remorse. It only makes sense for us to thwart or deny those attempts as best we can.

That being said, we do need a balance of electronic security efforts and data collection with personal freedoms. For one, there basically needs to be HONEST and VIGILANT OVERSIGHT of the security process by the judicial system to minimize abuses by the collecting agencies. The old adage that "Those who would embrace security over liberty will enjoy neither one" (I believe that was Jefferson who said that) has needed some adjustment as we march through the technological age and the motives of men to use those changes for the worse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    That being said, we do need a balance of electronic security efforts and data collection with personal freedoms. For one, there basically needs to be HONEST and VIGILANT OVERSIGHT of the security process by the judicial system to minimize abuses by the collecting agencies. The old adage that "Those who would embrace security over liberty will enjoy neither one" (I believe that was Jefferson who said that) has needed some adjustment as we march through the technological age and the motives of men to use those changes for the worse.
    I would agree with you in principal, reserving that in light of recent rulings I would not be confident that the judicial is not overwhelmingly compromised. I would be in favor of an educated common law grand jury to counter-balance/regulate the judicial. The grand jury maintains sweeping powers, even over the courts, and was intended to be a buffer between the common man and government.

Yes...it was Jefferson whom you quoted sir.
    Last edited by gman5250; August 2nd, 2015 at 18:30.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

SOH-CM-2023
    There is nothing wrong with your suggestion of using a grand jury to oversee/regulate the process UNLESS the particular situation REALLY (and I mean REALLY) required speed to be of the essence. Most times it would likely not but there are the occasional exceptions to the rule.

Blog Entries
    As it pertains to this topic of security and defining the boundaries between intrusion and legitimate security, a grand jury has the power of filing a "presentment" in lieu of indictment, which inherently compels the judicial to do their sworn duty and not the will of any possible persons of influence. If the judicial refuses to uphold their oath they can be subject to reprimand, removal and possible prosecution.

The abuses of privacy in the name of "security" are ubiquitous and too numerable to go into here. However, the inhibiting of illegal intrusions and prosecution of the perpetrator(s) could certainly begin to stem the tide.

Having said this, I intend to (without prejudice) upgrade to Windows 10 in full knowledge that the EULA and default settings are simply extensions of contract that pre-existed the upgrade. In this case the tools are simply more virulent, with international trade agreements obfuscating law, guaranteeing the offending entity immunity from liability.

In taking responsibility for this compromise, I maintain my energy to voice my objections by participating in lawful action to prevent or redress unlawful legislation, treaties and trade agreements.
    Thomas Jefferson

SOH-CM-2023
    Good Luck with your Win10 upgrade, Gordon. I'm going to be sticking with my Win XP Pro for all my desktops until they die. I just have no need for all the bells and whistles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    Good Luck with your Win10 upgrade, Gordon. I'm going to be sticking with my Win XP Pro for all my desktops until they die. I just have no need for all the bells and whistles.
    Thank you sir.

I ran XP for years and built a very sophisticated graphics business with little or no glitches from the OS. I still own plotters that are useless without XP. I keep two XP boxes just in case.

The new computer came with Windows 7 and I have since seriously considered therapy or possibly an intervention. I would still love to know which knucklehead at MS took out the option for folders to remember a specified size and location!

My current work requires that my platform remain current so I make the transition with grave apprehension...
    Thomas Jefferson

Amen.
    Well said. Most people seem to have much in common with the frog placed in a pan of water. The frog will adapt to increasing temperature until it dies of the heat.

While I have no nefarious or illegal activities to hide, my preferences in bath soap are simply nobody's business unless I choose to reveal them.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    I was raised in a world where personnel privacy , and freedoms were of paramount importance.
    I realize that maybe out of step for today's thinking.

As my Grandmother used to say "If more kelp their noses out of others lives, we all would be better off"
    That includes any government or businesses too.

If MS is going to gather information on my life, then sell it, I think I should get the profit from this, not them.

Big Brother, isn't welcomed.
    No one, or government or Business has a right (in my beliefs) to "watch over me"
    It is NO ones business but my own.
    Yes we all know for many years we all have been watched over, but that still doesn't make it right or proper to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseHobbit View Post
    I was raised in a world where personnel privacy , and freedoms were of paramount importance. I realize that maybe out of step for today's thinking. As my Grandmother used to say "If more kelp their noses out of others lives, we all would be better off" That includes any government or businesses too. If MS is going to gather information on my life, then sell it, I think I should get the profit from this, not them. Big Brother, isn't welcomed. No one, or government or Business has a right (in my beliefs) to "watch over me" It is NO ones business but my own. Yes we all know for many years we all have been watched over, but that still doesn't make it right or proper to do this.
    I'm going to keep most of my thoughts on this topic to myself, but I will say that I agree with Househobbit.
    Derry Hoggatt
    2014-2017, 2019+ Around the World Race Team Outhouse

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseHobbit View Post
    I was raised in a world where personnel privacy , and freedoms were of paramount importance.
    I realize that maybe out of step for today's thinking.

As my Grandmother used to say "If more kelp their noses out of others lives, we all would be better off"
    That includes any government or businesses too.

If MS is going to gather information on my life, then sell it, I think I should get the profit from this, not them.

Big Brother, isn't welcomed.
    No one, or government or Business has a right (in my beliefs) to "watch over me"
    It is NO ones business but my own.
    Yes we all know for many years we all have been watched over, but that still doesn't make it right or proper to do this.
    No, you're not out of step. You just have a different value system imparted to you by your family members.

Unfortunately, the internet is basically like the old-time telephone party line. Anybody with the expertise can basically "pick up the phone" and listen in on your business. I bring to your attention the hackers Ickie mentions every once in a while to us. The Chinese hack of the government employee data. Private companies hacked for customer data. And so forth.

Lately, I have had three entities call my house (my house !!) at my home phone and tell me I had problems with my home computer "leaking data" to the internet and other such nonsense. How do they know ?? Are they tracking me ?? Two of the calls were from people with Indian accents and the third was Oriental. Not having caller ID, I have no idea where they originated.

I told all of them I have 8 computers connected to the internet -- which ones were giving me the problem ??
    The Indians were confused with that answer, the Oriental insisted it didn't matter since it went to the internet anyway. I tell all of them, "Thanks, I'll look into it".

I'm pretty sure they're waiting to hear me say "I don't know what to do. Can you fix it for me ??" Then I'm sure I'll get a price quoted to me. Too bad these people can't get honest work but have to scam.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Dead on the money, G-man. You're far more eloquent and up-to-the-minute on this stuff than I am, but I agree w/you 100%.

MS is offering the free Windows 10 upgrade for a few more months, after which it will cost $$$ to "upgrade." I don't think I'm going to take them up on it. I am running Windows 7 right now only because WXP had its support eliminated by MS. I still consider WXP to be the superior program. AV program makers will eventually stop marketing their wares for it as well, leaving it totally unsupported and wide-open to continuously-updated intrusion technology, legal and illegal, coming over the web. The attitude of the owners of MS, saying more or less "this is the only game in town, take it my way or get left in the ditch," is what gets me riled.

Blog Entries
    I noted that the other Windows 10 thread questioned the voracity of the links at the top of this page. I may even agree that information from RT must be thoroughly vetted, and add that they have server links that can be traced to Langley. The other link I have no experience with and cannot make comment on.

That said, one only need to begin their investigation into this question of security and privacy by following the data trail provided by William Binney or John McAffee on this subject. The subsequent revelations can be extremely enlightening.

Whether or not Windows 10 is hostile is not really the question. There are backdoors in everything…computers, weapons systems, operating systems, aircraft, automobiles, refrigerators and your “smart” meter. The smart meter idea was developed from Russian surveillance techniques developed in the late fifties where they monitored our high tension lines in operation “Grasshopper”. The technology to profile individuals is staggering to the point where your heat signature can be identified from space. None of this is earth shattering and actually is quite dated technology.

The crux of the issue lies in the fact that MS leaves the door open for anyone to listen in on the party line. The (illegal) federalization of the internet by the SCC has drastically altered the scope of oversight of airborne communications. Some say it’s necessary to fight terrorism…I would agree in principal, but in the process you don’t grant carte blanche immunity to private contractors to listen to my private conversations and sell my profile to any and all buyers. It’s patently illegal, but circumvented under trade agreements that are basically “State Secrets”.

This is not how things are done in a lawful society. Allowing third parties to manage my data is an outrage and granting corporations the power to make these decisions, outside of law, is over the top.

I treat my computer the same way I treat my wallet. I carry all of my chipped cards, which by the way I do not particularly like either, in a Faraday shielded wallet. I don’t want Big Brother tracking my national ID and I don’t want the punk at the mall scanning my chip to pay for his Spring Break in the Caymans.

Nine months ago I allowed Explorer to update, knowing that the EULA allows them to do whatever they wish with my OS. Something in the code string went through my system like a raging bull. Two computers hard crashed immediately after the update. I went back in and backed up all of my data to my 4TB external. It took me three days and I triple checked every file to ensure I had no corruptions.
    I had to do an industrial wipe of my three main drives, re-load the OS and move back in from scratch…another three days for the install and months to really move back in. On day three, when I went to my external, I found that the data that had been fine when I unplugged it was now massively corrupted. I lost four major scenery projects along with archives or artwork. I have been in the process of rebuilding this work ever since.

How is it that a backdoor that lets Google switch on my devices remotely, or Samsung watch me watch my monitor is allowed the priority to devastate my lively hood in such a way and have complete immunity?

This kind of intrusion is now a way of life. Mr. Binney or John McAffee speak volumes on this subject, but it doesn’t help me rebuild my work.

This is why I err on the side of caution on all things public. The public is now a cesspool of trolls, bots, punks, thieves, and idealistic zealots with a get out of jail free card. The civilized majority, whom constitute the bulk of the world’s population just want to be left out of the frickin’ drama.

I blew up in the earlier post because it was inferred that my predisposition to watch my six is related to a mental deficiency. The fact that these intrusions are accelerating is not a product of my imagination, but rather an unfortunate reality in this chapter of our planets history.

Ickie was spot on by launching his one man rebuttal to these ridiculous assaults. If everyone were pro-active, history has already proved how the perps would disappear like cockroaches under a kitchen light.
    Thomas Jefferson

Interesting reading indeed.

Fact is that, we are all followed by the corporations, our governments and other croonies. Do you want to lessen the possible effects?

• Do not ever use Chrome. It is the biggest piece of spyware ever made, you can just as well send all your data to the NSA
    • Take the time to alter the privacy settings in Windows, preferably in the registry
    • Do some reading on the internet on how to stop M$ to change those settings again after an update
    • Use decent security software, stay away from freeware, they're crap
    • Cell phones: turn them completely off when venturing into town or shopping malls, or use a prepay card instead of a subscription card
    • E-ID cards, do like Gordon does in a "Faraday" wallet
    • Surfing the net: there is no browser that protects your privacy like Tor does.
    • pay for things as much as you can using cash only, avoid fidelity cards

And even then, you're still being followed. George Orwell and Aldous Huxley were visionaries. Almost everything they wrote about is here now.

Johan

Gman, thanks for your effort in expressing these thoughts. Reading your posts was cathartic for me, believing that most people are simply not as outraged as I've become over the very points you have highlighted.

I also come from a generation where privacy was valued and one didn't have to fight tooth and nail to preserve it as a basic right. Those days are gone, as the masses continue to be conditioned into believing that ever-increasing intrusion and BS from gov't and corporations is, at best, acceptable; at worst, not worth the effort to fight. I dread the thought of what our grandkids will one day regard as 'normal.'

It used to be easier to fight such inequities even on a part-time basis. Now, even devoting one's life to such causes...appears to barely make a dent. The dent is then usually forgotten or hidden.
    I'm going on a sunny tropical flight in fsx to cheer myself up now....windows 7, of course.

Good Blog. I was a contributor to the CFS2 world for many years and drawn into a supposed friendship with what I thought were fellow simmers. There was a rat in the pack who turned out to be a hacker. The "friends" possibly because of fear of the hacker didn't tell me. I had to find out on my own. So sadly, they wern't really friends.

What it taught me was the vulnerable nature of Windows in any form (XP, Vista and 7) that I was familiar with. That and the fact that you should not trust people you meet casually on the internet.

The powers that be decided in the name of protection against known enemies, their approved third parties have the ability to monitor all of us. Who watches these people? Is there possibly a few percent of them who can make some money on the side selling your info? Or, if they are internet sadists, like to mess with people and in some cases like mine, even my wife's internet capability.

Ok, being a ship lover, I have become a submarine, running at periscope depth. Yes the magic protective wallet for the credit cards, turn off wifi at home and cellular data on the cell phone when not in use, and NEVER go on line with a M$ operating system.

The old dog has learned new tricks.

When the authorities seriously pursue these scumbag hackers hiding like other criminals, for incursions on us nobodys instead of just the well heeled, and provides real punishment for them instead of the seemingly customary slap on the wrist, perhaps my grandchildren will be able to meet and enjoy people on the internet.

But I still enjoy being creative and am thankful for past guidance of some people who were genuine, to permit me to create and not watch mindless TV.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 179_V2.jpg  
    PSULLYKEYS

The only thing necessary for evil to win is for good men to do nothing.

I'm increasingly tempted to go Linux, with a separate offline Windows box for games like CFS2/FS9/GPL.......MS & Apple can go jump!

Members +

Icon23

Re all this 'spying'.. It's not only Windows 10...

Mmmmmm, what about my GPS then. I use "Here' GPS on my Windows phone as well as on my Android. Should I be worried that Google, Microsoft, Nokia, BMW, Daimler & Audi/VW are tracking my movements? So, if they are tracking my location, then they will all know my banking activities, my shopping activities, my skelem activites (no, I'm not with Ashley Madison, so I'm clean there!) & how often I 'dump'!

So, good luck to 'Them' when 'they' can see how regular I am with my bowel movements.
    I can carry on... There is this app that makes Android phones vibrate... Maybe they know how many times my partner & myself use that function? Hehee... I think I'll stop right here...<label for="rb_iconid_37"></label>

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    I'm very careful if what i say here or any were on the web. All i can say is that around 15 yrs ago the FBI broke into my house, took my computer and various files,without a warrant and no explanation . I was part of a group that stood by the Constitution ,nothing more or less. Since then i've been very careful what i type or what organization/s that i associate with. What is it going to take to get OUR government back? I'm afraid that by the time the American people wake up it will be too late.

Members who have read this thread: 0