Going to look at a 1954 Willys CJ3B today.

Thread: Going to look at a 1954 Willys CJ3B today.

Going to look at a 1954 Willys CJ3B today.

Am hopeful its in good shape. Having owned a '74, '52, and a '45, I know a little about them. I need a car for just tooling around Pensacola, and this would be ideal.

Any jeep enthusiasts here? If I get this jeep, am sure I will have plenty of questions.

It has the Hurricane F134 cu in engine. Will take more pictures, and post them tomorrow. NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Great looking 3B, NC!

Just the thing for daily errands and such; living in Pensacola, I don't think you'll have the need to drop her into 4WD!

If you get it, just remember to check your Front Hubs each time you get behind the wheel; maker sure they're pointed to 'FREE', not "LOCK'.

Good Luck!

Alan

nice looking jeep from just this pichere is a link to a page you may already have,but it is helpfull with history and things down to paint samples for correct factory colors.

http://www.kaiserwillys.com/

Now that's a real Jeep! The first car I ever bought brand new was a 1980 CJ-5 with a cast iron 4 banger. Wish I still had it.

Good Luck with it!
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

i grew up with a 1965 or 67,dad changes the year now and again,lol,CJ5,my uncle borrowed it and blew up the 4 banger,which was original,in those days no one cared about originality ,so they put in 302ci chevy with 327 heads,so they say.with a 4 barrel carb.ran good with the large air cleaner and large Exhaust in the mountains.we ran the rubicon before that jerk in goergetown claimed to be the first to create a jeep trail..before his death,he refused to even admit to the fact it WAS a gold rush trail..also the palisades,many other places.

Bought it!

The seller is a retired Master Chief. In fact, he was the Force Master Chief of the Naval Education Training Center, here in Pensacola. Did 22 years on Nuke subs! NC Go Navy.

So glad to have another Willys, and a hobby again.

Blog Entries
    My family had a 1952 jeep truck 6 cyl and we had a snow plow on the front and yes it was 4X4 and looked something like that one
    Look What I Have Become!

Maybe a Jeepney would do

I remember these in the P.I. You could jazz it up like this one with many colors Just kidding.....

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Bought it!

The seller is a retired Master Chief. In fact, he was the Force Master Chief of the Naval Education Training Center, here in Pensacola. Did 22 years on Nuke subs! NC Go Navy.

So glad to have another Willys, and a hobby again.
    I am happy for you NC, I bet it was well taken care of coming from a MCPO - He probably has a deck of phased maintenance cards for it -
    Just like what we used on our aircraft back in the day

SOH-CM-2023
    Nice wheels, Chief.

I can hear it now ..... "Hey, Dad, can I borrow the Jeep tonight ???"

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    Nice wheels, Chief.

I can hear it now ..... "Hey, Dad, can I borrow the Jeep tonight ???"
    Thankfully I won't be hearing those words uttered in my house. Now it's possible my wife might want to go tooling around with a girlfriend, but doubt it. She is tiny, and I already know she won't like the lack of power steering or disc brakes!

I have a considerable amount of detail cleaning and lubrication to do. The jeep has not been driven that much in a while. Little things like the back seat locking mechanism is frozen; won't move. Some things like that will probably be remedied with penetrating oil. I do know the cowl seal on the bottom of the windshield is not the correct one. Was told it doesn't allow water to go through, but doesn't look right either. The inside of the jeep interior was sprayed, at one time or another, with bed liner protection. Not what I like exactly, but it DID protect it! NC

SOH-CM-2023
    Small discrepancies that you can fix at your leisure. You'll probably be getting too many ride requests from your retired buddies to get after them for a while yet. Oh, maybe the seat will get fixed in a few days.

I am curious. Has that jeep been cut in half and then welded together again? Check in the area circled in pic to find out.
    Chuck B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jeep_weld.jpg  
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by napamule View Post
    I am curious. Has that jeep been cut in half and then welded together again? Check in the area circled in pic to find out.
    Chuck B
    No, it hasn't been cut. There have been some slight mods, such as the rear tail lights are not in the original location. I will be the fourth owner. The Master Chief bought it from his dad, who bought it from the original owner in Montana. Once I get it to my place I will pull the seats, clean it thoroughly, take off the bikini top, fold down the windshield, and check it all over for loose bolts, fittings, wire connections, etc.... NC

The 6volt system has been converted to 12v. I do know the alternator belt is about an inch too big, so that will be the first thing I replace.

I am yealous. Would love to have a jeep like that. The reason I ask if it was cut/re-welded it was an 'Ex US Gov' military jeep, and then scraped or salvaged. The Gov required it be cut in half to 'salvage'. But the bill of sale allowed you to re-weld it together and get registration and liscense plates (anyway). Funny how the US military works sometimes. Oh, pad the seats, or you will get 'jeep butt rash'. Google it. Ha.
    Chuck B
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Now that is a neat ride, Chief. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of her!

Napamule, the jeep you're referring to was the M-151. It had a 4 wheel independent suspension and could get squirrely as heck with the proper training to drive. When those were phased out, yes, it was a requirement that they be cut up diagonally into pieces to where they shouldn't be able to be put back together. (I wanted one badly back in the '80s when we were scrapping some at an Army Depot I worked at for a few years)

NC's Jeep is a CJ-3B and as it's a CJ series, it was never a military jeep. CJ = Civilian Jeep The closest CJs to military jeeps were the original CJ-2 and the CJ-5 bore a very strong resemblance to the M-38 of the '50s.

Before the M-151, military jeeps were not required to be cut up for surplus sale.

NC, has the engine been modified for modern unleaded gas? Or do you have to add lead to the gas? (Don't laugh, we've got a restored Farmall Cub tractor that we put lead additive in the gas to protect the valves)
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Napamule, the jeep you're referring to was the M-151. It had a 4 wheel independent suspension and could get squirrely as heck with the proper training to drive. When those were phased out, yes, it was a requirement that they be cut up diagonally into pieces to where they shouldn't be able to be put back together. (I wanted one badly back in the '80s when we were scrapping some at an Army Depot I worked at for a few years)

NC's Jeep is a CJ-3B and as it's a CJ series, it was never a military jeep. CJ = Civilian Jeep The closest CJs to military jeeps were the original CJ-2 and the CJ-5 bore a very strong resemblance to the M-38 of the '50s.

Before the M-151, military jeeps were not required to be cut up for surplus sale.

NC, has the engine been modified for modern unleaded gas? Or do you have to add lead to the gas? (Don't laugh, we've got a restored Farmall Cub tractor that we put lead additive in the gas to protect the valves)
    Hey Willy. Yep, you are correct about the M151s. Occasionally you can find one that has not been cut, but are very rare. I previously owned a 1952 M38, and my last one, before now, was a 1945 MB.
    This engine was rebuilt. It has 7000 miles since the rebuild. I think was modified to run unleaded, but not positive. I had asked the guy about it, but can't recall his response. Will address that question again when I pick up the jeep tomorrow. NC

Members who have read this thread: 0