FSX Installer error "1603"

Thread: FSX Installer error "1603"

FSX Installer error "1603"

I won't go into how long I've been working on this, or why, just suffice to say what worked at one time, no longer does. The First Disc never completes. . .it get's right to where it's about to ask for Disc 2 and comes back with:
    There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

I have shut off Anti-virus, I've uninstalled the original FSX/Accel and removed all remnants via a payware uninstaller program. It ran fine last weekend. . .now it does not. Anyone ever run into this or have any advice as to what might be causing it? Thanks.

Yea. . .I had no idea either!! I tried putting it on another drive. . .nothing I tried worked. . .

I finally got pissed enough I just said. . ."Fine, install wherever ya want to". . .and it did, right back in the default location, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Yea. . .I had no idea either!! I tried putting it on another drive. . .nothing I tried worked. . .

I finally got pissed enough I just said. . ."Fine, install wherever ya want to". . .and it did, right back in the default location, lol.
    Well now that it's installed couldn't you copy/paste it where you want to then use one of the registry fixers to move the keys to it's new location. I never have tried to install outside the default so I don't really know.

I'd expect you'd need to disable DRM as well...running the installer with admin privileges...
    It's always important to quote what OS environment you're installing under when posting issues such as this...

I install FSX to a separate partition with no problems on Windows 7 SP1.

An odd situation to be sure. Last weekend I installed FSX/Accel (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X) to test an installer I had for the FSD YF-23. Their new installer wasn't worth a flip and seemed to be giving several folks besides me problems with "no avionics" after installation. The old installer worked and I kept FSX loaded, added the Orbx Global Basic and Vector Basic and decided to keep it installed. Problem was sometimes it would lock up during a flight with a Fatal Error. . .also, every time I closed the Sim out it would also display that same Fatal Error message. So this morning I decided to move it to a separate drive. . .it would not install, no matter what. It would almost complete the first disc and then it would stall with an error 1722. I ran it as Admin., I ran it with Compatibility changed to Win7. . .it made no difference. Every bit of text from the first install was cleared using an uninstall program. . .all associated file folders were save and removed. After an entire day the result was that the only place it would install was the default directory dictated by FSX.

I have installed this same set of discs over the years to 2 other drives, no problems. . .so I know it can be done easily. . .why it balked at a different installation point this time is a mystery. I have flown about 4 different short flights this evening. Closed each session out with no problems, so at this point whatever ailed it before is no longer present. We all know how quirky FSX can be so I'll just add this one to the list.

Falcon...if anything, you shouldn't be running the installer with compatibility to win7 ....FSX predates Win7....you'd be better served trying XP compatibility...
    BTW, my FSX is in H:\FSX, a separate partition on the same 'HD' as the OS - a M.2x4 'PCIE' drive ....one of them fast, expensive things that looks like a stick of ram standing on its end...

Icon22

.... We all know how quirky FSX can be so I'll just add this one to the list.
    Yes buddy! It's a long list. At least you've got it working.....for now .

RD

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Falcon...if anything, you shouldn't be running the installer with compatibility to win7 ....FSX predates Win7....you'd be better served trying XP compatibility...
    BTW, my FSX is in H:\FSX, a separate partition on the same 'HD' as the OS - a M.2x4 'PCIE' drive ....one of them fast, expensive things that looks like a stick of ram standing on its end...
    Trying it that way (Win7 Compatibility) was simply part of the attempt to find a way to get it to install where I wanted it to go. I never mess with that setting normally, I never "Run as an Administrator", I don't have a clue what DRM is and for 15yrs, I've never had a problem installing or running any Sim or Addon.

Trying it that way (Win7 Compatibility) was simply part of the attempt to find a way to get it to install where I wanted it to go. I never mess with that setting normally, I never "Run as an Administrator", I don't have a clue what DRM is and for 15yrs, I've never had a problem installing or running any Sim or Addon.
    Ah, dang it....'DRM' was brain-fade....UAC is the critter I meant [was doing too much on too many sites].
    The folder hierarchy relating to program data/file installs as 'requested' by Microsoft has changed over the years....eg. the concept of 'public folders' etc. and you will find instances when an attempted install will fail to cope with a newer OS than that for which it was designed.
    The whole reasoning behind 'compatibility modes' was/is just for that situation.

Re never having a problem....you're time is clearly up...as you're having one now...
    Remember.... Confidence n. The feeling you have immediately BEFORE you fully understand the situation...

There are programs available that can 'migrate' an install of a game/proggy and correct all registry references, shortcuts, associations etc. to point at the new placement for you. A Google search of 'program migration tools' should get a hit or three..

Members who have read this thread: 0