Windows 10 snafu / content thread - Page 5
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 snafu / content thread

Boatz,

Yes. I tried for fresh install also. It's in C:\Program Files(86)\Combat Flight Simulator 2.
    But no success.

Anyways, thanks for your suggestion.

Yuki

Update;

I also tried my old video card which was properly working with CFS2 with my old rig with FPS around 100.
    Now I can check the box for hardware acceleration and graphics become better but frame rate goes down to 8-10PS....

So, finally I put back my new video card (Nvdia 960GTX).
    Again I can't check the box and on Resolution Box, 32bit option not appear.
    I can play the game but very low graphic with FPS around 8-20.........

Almost give up though I really love this game...........
    Coz of my work, I really have to upgrade my system.

Yuki

Uninstall or take CFS2 out of C:\Program Files(86)\Combat Flight Simulator 2.. Just install or have it in C:\.

From Windows 7 to 10 it is NOT a good idea to put CFS2 or any FS into C:\Program Files(86)\. MS has thing too locked down in C:\Program Files(86)\ now.

I'm sure that is what Boatz would and will say next.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Structure of File Paths

Hello Yuki,

With the newer Windows OS, a program writing to files, as CFS2 does, is only allowed in certain locations. i.e. %APPDATA%.

An example for Vista/Win 7: C:\Users\(Your Windows User Name)\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

The newer flight simulators install all of the files that the *.exe writes to this location. (idea is more secure) FSX Folder as shown above, contains the "written to" files.

I have thought about this and wondered if CFS2 could be installed 100% into the above location and function without all of these headaches ??
    Not having Win 10, I have no idea if this will work. It may cause other problems...The *.exe and *.dll files in FSX directs the OS to %APPDATA%.

For Win 10 this would be;

Hit your Windows key + R (Or open Run from the Start menu), type: %APPDATA%\Microsoft
    You will need to create folder "Combat Flight Simulator 2", example: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Combat Flight Simulator 2
    This would be the path.

My information could be incorrect and in doing this could make bigger issues.
    In other words, the risk is up to the user. I would like to try it first before recommending it.

Dave

Yes, this is what I was getting at, older games in newer Windows operating systems, should not go in C:\Program Files\*.*

You don't have to re-install, just move the folder (or copy first to test). I put all older games under C:\games\*.*

I have CFS2 (and all of my simulators) installed on my 'D' drive, outside of the primary 'C' drive. I hope you were able to sort your install out.

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for your advice.
    I am sorry to say that I tried all of your kind suggestions but still no success.

I really screwed up what's wrong......
    Maybe It's the time to give up.

Anyways, I really appreciate your kind assistance tying to help me.
    Thank you very much.

Yuki

Hi Browncoat,

Kindly let me know what OS are you using? Win7 or Win10?

And What version of Nvdia Driver?

Thanks Yuki

Yuki,

I am running Windows 7 pro and my nVidia drivers are 361.91.

Out of curiosity, after you edit your CFS2.cfg file, are you going in to the in game graphics settings for CFS2? I found that if I did that, the edits I did in the CFS2.cfg file would be overwritten again with the lower graphics. So far the only way around the graphics problem I have found is modifying the CFS2.cfg file and then leaving the graphics setting alone within the game.

Quote Originally Posted by miccasharon View Post
    Hi Browncoat,

Kindly let me know what OS are you using? Win7 or Win10?

And What version of Nvdia Driver?

Thanks Yuki

My 2 cents

Don't install in the default programs folder - as others has explained it gets lumdered with "special" protection, & this prevents the sim changing the cfs2.cfg (which it wants to every time you run the sim).

Assuming you have permissions, right-click & amend the Properties tab to ensure compatibility with Windows XP, & Run with Administrator privileges.

Don't mess with the in-sim graphic options, the options available in-sim are way below what's possible with today's hardware. Download a copy of Nvidia Inspector (Guru3D etc.) & tweak from outside the Sim until you get the performance you like. It even has a CFS 2 profile as part of the pre-loaded profiles, but experiment, you can improve on this with most of today's hardware configurations.

Get the 4Gb exe patch & use it to patch the CFS2.exe. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=49&id=9735

Although CFS2 itself doesn't need a lot of memory to run, you'll find it allows your hardware to minimise stutters in quite heavy FR action because the patched sim exe isn't trying quite so hard to stay within the 3Gb memory max that the earlier Operating Systems (such as XP) had as a hard limit.

Hi Browncoat,

Thanks a lot.
    Actually, I never go to settings after I edit CFS2 config.
    Then still graphic is very low.

After I exit the game, CFS2 config is still as i edit.
    I mean, it was not overwrited.

I really screwed up.
    Maybe I have to give up playing CFS2 on Windows10......

Anyways, thanks very much for your kind help.

Yuki

Windows 10 update

the Windows 10 new update this week killed my CFS2 install on the 64 bit box i have. That is my laptop, but the 32 bit install still runs fine on desktop

Anyone have any good ideas?

Good news is the update fixed my other flight sims on both computers.
    "Thats some of the best flying I have ever seen, upto the point that your dead, Never ever leave your wingman!"......Jester, Top Gun

Icon27 Reply...

Darrell,

There's a big thread on this, but I can't access it until I get home. Can someone assist?
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Killed it how? As it won't start at all or don't work in game?

Game starts, can select the bird or what ever, and then i try to load it and it crashes as it goes to the loading scenery screen...
    "Thats some of the best flying I have ever seen, upto the point that your dead, Never ever leave your wingman!"......Jester, Top Gun

Think I solved the issue, I moved the sim from Program Files/Microsoft Games to Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Games and now it seems to load things.

This release of Win10 1607 is a bit touchy I am learning.

If you Win7 or newer never put CFS2 in ANY Program Files. Put it into C:

What Allen said!

ALL of my flight sims are now on my root C: and work fine in Windows 10 X 64.
    Also "whatever" you need to do to NOT have to use sim CDs/DVDs eliminate a lot of the problems with Windows 10.

I'm not certain what programs M$ expects folks to use in Windows 10, but most won't run if you allow them to install in Program Files like they want to.
    I have several games for the grandkids that run fine in any other folder EXCEPT Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders.
    I'm thinking Windows 10 is a business operating system, not a gaming, pleasure OS.

M$ now wants to have everyone migrate away from Office 2010 to Office 360 web-based programs and storage.
    I'm a cynic of the first degree. I don't put any of my information in cloud based servers run by individuals I have never met and do not know personally.
    I work with my own external unpluggable HD and store my personal information on the external, which is unplugged when done with it.
    Really hard to hack into a HD which is not attached to the WEB.

DD73
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog73 View Post
    M$ now wants to have everyone migrate away from Office 2010 to Office 360 web-based programs and storage.

I'm a cynic of the first degree. I don't put any of my information in cloud based servers run by individuals I have never met and do not know personally.

I work with my own external unpluggable HD and store my personal information on the external, which is unplugged when done with it.

Really hard to hack into a HD which is not attached to the WEB.

DD73
    Lee,

My thoughts exactly. No one at my school seems to understand why I NEVER use the cloud, and use USB flash drives, externals, and thumb drives. "Why don't you use The Cloud and Google Docs?" My response: When pigs fly.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Lee,

My thoughts exactly. No one at my school seems to understand why I NEVER use the cloud, and use USB flash drives, externals, and thumb drives. "Why don't you use The Cloud and Google Docs?" My response: When pigs fly.
    I can make that happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I can make that happen...
    Yeah, but who wants one flying overhead after they have eaten???/the pigs that is.

Birds are one thing, pigs...........

Which brings me to a funny memory from my military days.
    Here we were, standing in morning formation at attention for morning accountability report.....

1st Squad Leader salutes to state, "All Present" and a seagull took a dump on his left shoulder

2nd, 3rd, and 4th squads fell out of formation immediately! We were all laughing so hard it was too hard to maintain good order and discipline.
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

If you go back to your CFS1 days,
    They have a flying pig, anyone remember where it is at ?
    Other than the one I hid in my Corsica and Italy 1941 for CFS1.

http://thefreeflightsite.com/Cors1941.htm

http://thefreeflightsite.com/Screenshots.htm

No, it is not in the screen shots,

Dave
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Dave

Do you mean Grunter by Stuart Green?

voyager

I never heard of Grunter, But it may be cool to see?

Everyone loves flying pigs, I also have a free parking
    sign in the ALPS.
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Quote Originally Posted by No Dice View Post
    If you go back to your CFS1 days,
    They have a flying pig, anyone remember where it is at ?
    Other than the one I hid in my Corsica and Italy 1941 for CFS1.

http://thefreeflightsite.com/Cors1941.htm

http://thefreeflightsite.com/Screenshots.htm

No, it is not in the screen shots,

Dave
    By Stonehenge. It is Lon_18 and it was the only thing I wasn't able to get to open in Model Converter X.

Members who have read this thread: 52