Arrival of Windows 10

Thread: Arrival of Windows 10

Arrival of Windows 10

Okay fellas Windows 10 has arrived, but will it affect CFS3 and all it's add ons. Or will we have to keep away from it.

Will it affect CFS3 in whatever flavour? Nope

Will it affect DirectX and your graphics drivers? Yes indeed!

Is there a workaround or remedy? Yep, install DirectX 9 again and rerun the cfs3 config utility.

Johan

Do you need to re-install ETO all over again for it to work as well?

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Staying away from this, happy with my Win 7..
    Don't trust any first edition from MS anymore.

So far we don't know. Greycap reported CFS3 running okay with a pre-release version of W10, people are reporting upgrades from W7 and W8 going okay with their flight sims still running while others have had bother. So far nobody's been daft enough to try it on an XP rig!

Whether the upgrade will mess with CFS3 is an unknown: Russian roulette, anyone?

As Johan says, you'll need the June 2010 directX 9.0c runtime if you do.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Blog Entries

Icon23

Quote Originally Posted by HouseHobbit View Post
    Staying away from this, happy with my Win 7..
    Don't trust any first edition from MS anymore.
    Me too, personally I think
    XP was the best.
    CHEERS

When I try to install DirectX 9, it says it's only for previous versions of Windows, not 10. Am I missing something?

Have you tried installing CFS3 and/or running it yet?
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Threedp View Post
    When I try to install DirectX 9, it says it's only for previous versions of Windows, not 10. Am I missing something?
    Yesterday spoke to a friend that installed win10 and installed cfs3 the way you install it in win7. Game wouldnt run properly. He ran cfs3config which got stuck, but after the game did run.
    Game is up and running now (multiplayer and all). Maybe it seems like the config doesnt entirely work but apperently it worked enough to recognise everything and reconfig.

Dunno if this info helps you guys. I'm staying with 7 for the time being untill you whizzkids..... (well eh... kids........okay whizzadults) have figured it out.

BTW, he told me that after installing win10, his nvidia driver and card didnt work properly because win10 had made its own graph driver and win10 preferrred that driver over the original nvidia. His cfs3 ran at about 9 frames per sec. Somewhere in the Windows settings he changed the preference back to nvidia driver and now runs at 60fps. Sorry guys... just writing down what he told me. If you need i can ask him to write down himself, which steps he did and what problems he encountered.

Hanko

When I try to load CFS3 in Win 10, I get the loader screen, then nothing. No error, no nothing. Comparability doesn't help. And I notive my Win 7 setup is DirectX 11, so why would I want 9? Sorry if the questions are dumb, very lacking in knowledge on this score.

For some reason CFS3 needs DX9 installed as well, even though supposedly it's included in subsequent versions. I guess some components got left out that CFS3 needed.

Cool it works

yo guys

windows 10 and cfs3 work . i have been trying it for 2days now and no problem to join multiplayer game .

just install cfs3 like windows 7 .

After setting the resolution with cfs3config, I've got PTO running apparently smoothly again. MAW next!

Good to hear chaps, please keep us posted!
    Tom

When we went from XP to Win 7 there was a big difference in how the specular shine on the aircraft was rendered when it was enabled in the shader.xml. I spent many hours hex editing all of the m3d files to correct this. Can anyone comment on if the aircraft render like XP, or Win 7, or something entirely different and will need still more tweaking?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

So far everything is working for me (even with compatibility turned off) except one thing: ETO is going right past the choice screen so I can't get into any era except the last one I was in before upgrading, the first. The only other add-on with such a screen, Rising Sun, does not have the same issue. Any ideas? Anybody else getting the same thing?

Anyone else having the issue?

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Threedp View Post
    Anyone else having the issue?
    So far my ETO 1.50 instal is working smoothly but I haven't tried to change eras yet. Will report back if I find any issue.

Smile

Curiously, it turned out to be as simple as turning off 'Run as administrator' which I had set for the shortcut for ETO but not Rising Sun.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    When we went from XP to Win 7 there was a big difference in how the specular shine on the aircraft was rendered when it was enabled in the shader.xml. I spent many hours hex editing all of the m3d files to correct this. Can anyone comment on if the aircraft render like XP, or Win 7, or something entirely different and will need still more tweaking?
    hi Majormagee,
    The aircraft do have a shiny texture in Win 10 however that might be due to the shaders.xml setting rather than _r or _s.dds textures. The ETO Hs 129 has a very detailed skin and not much shine (except on the canpoy - the influence of Ankor's magic) whereas a Me110 c4b is quite smooth and shiny to the extent of looking less realistic than the wonderfully rendered Hs129. I think that my config settings must be just about right and combining well with the d3d files of Ankor's, for the skin to render so realistically.

Next time I am on the CFS3 'puter I will pull off a few screenshots showing how the skins are rendered in Win10.

Members who have read this thread: 0