Feathering props...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feathering props...

Feathering props...

Just lost a 5 kill P-38 mission due to being unable to feather the prop after an Oscar hit port engine(which I shot down when he came around for a head on pass) . Deciding I could not make it back to Schwimmer Field at PM, flew along coast trying to make it to Buna/Dobodura area for an emergency landing. Plane was difficult to control without running the other engine too hard, which eventually burnt up and forced me to bail out. Once or twice have managed to feather the prop by an unrealistic and difficult climb until it quits spinning, recovered and plane handled well enough.Really should be a switch or control. Same issue with B-25.Anyone have a two engine feather prop for panel or know how can make it so a keyboard command will do so? Thanks.

Dasuto247,

Maybe I can help with this one. I had modded the old freeware ALPHAsim Ju88 into a Ju884T torpedo version. Like you,
    I think it's a nice challenge to "make it home" after my aircraft is shot up, so I set it up with prop feathering. Other
    folks may have a better method, but here's how I did it:

#1, I believe you must have a Section 1509 [FS2000 propeller feather] in your airfile. Screenie shows the airfile setup.

#2, Set up your panel using MoparMike's excellent MAPE_Brit_PropFeather gauges. These are freeware, and like all of
    his gauges, they work very well. Screenies of my Ju884T panel with the port engine feathered, and also an external pix.

That's pretty much it. It seems to work well for me on the Ju88, and I've even used it on some WWI multi-engine
    aircraft, as well, so you can probably set it up successfully on your P-38. I've never tried to set it up using a keyboard
    command, so I don't know about that.. might be worth a look see. Hope this helps!

AER_DaddyO

"Don't just stand there... get one up!"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ju88T_AF.jpg   Ju88T_2.jpg   Ju88T_1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by AER_DaddyO View Post
    Dasuto247,

Maybe I can help with this one. I had modded the old freeware ALPHAsim Ju88 into a Ju884T torpedo version. Like you,
    I think it's a nice challenge to "make it home" after my aircraft is shot up, so I set it up with prop feathering. Other
    folks may have a better method, but here's how I did it:

#1, I believe you must have a Section 1509 [FS2000 propeller feather] in your airfile. Screenie shows the airfile setup.

#2, Set up your panel using MoparMike's excellent MAPE_Brit_PropFeather gauges. These are freeware, and like all of
    his gauges, they work very well. Screenies of my Ju884T panel with the port engine feathered, and also an external pix.

That's pretty much it. It seems to work well for me on the Ju88, and I've even used it on some WWI multi-engine
    aircraft, as well, so you can probably set it up successfully on your P-38. I've never tried to set it up using a keyboard
    command, so I don't know about that.. might be worth a look see. Hope this helps!

AER_DaddyO

Thanks for the response.I'm afraid my airfile in P-38 looks different, there is no section 1509 for prop feather.using the OH P-38F.Also, how do I add it to the panel exactly? Just as a gauge or ?

Quote Originally Posted by dasuto247 View Post
    Thanks for the response.I'm afraid my airfile in P-38 looks different, there is no section 1509 for prop feather.using the OH P-38F.Also, how do I add it to the panel exactly? Just as a gauge or ?
    1509 section has to be added to the airfile. You can do this by taking and coping it from another AC's airfile. Then you add it from the clipboard. This is where having multiple FS sims is useful.

I think you can add this line to the aircraft.cfg and it will work. Although I'm not positive.

[propeller]
    prop_feathering_available= 1

The gauge is then added to the panel. If you have a secondary panel you can place the switch in there. You can use cfgedit to do this.

or

Let AER_DaddyO or myself know which P-38 you want to use it on and we can put one together for you.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

[propeller]
    prop_feathering_available= 1

dosen't work in CFS2 only thrust_scalar and rotation do for props.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

I have the panel and airfile set up for the stock P-38. If you'd like to have it just let me know.

If you want it for any other P-38 just tell me which one and where to find it.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

Hello All,

Just a follow up on the prop feathering. LOL.. as usual John is right on top of everything, and has already updated the
    OH_P38F, so thought I would check out the keyboard setup for use as a prop feather device. In looking at the OH_B25, I found
    that it already has the Section 1509 in the airfile, so I used it for my keyboard testing. CFS2 has a command for "Arm/Unarm
    Auto Prop Feather" which is unscripted in the default keyboard, so I set up a command key for it at CTL+F. The default keyboard
    layout has commands for "Select Engine" at CTL+S, "Select Item 1" at SHIFT+F1, and "Select Item 2" at SHIFT+F2. After some
    major fiddling using only keys, I managed to select the port engine on the B25, shut it down, adjust the prop to 0 RPM, and
    engage the auto prop feathering. This is VERY tricky and took some practice, but if the airfile is set up with a Section 1509,
    it can be done using only the keys.

THANX for presenting this forum topic! Much fun learning new [for me] CFS2 multi-engine skills.

AER_DaddyO

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OH_B25_Feather.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    I have the panel and airfile set up for the stock P-38. If you'd like to have it just let me know.

If you want it for any other P-38 just tell me which one and where to find it.

Thanks. Flying the OH P-38 F by B24guy

Quote Originally Posted by AER_DaddyO View Post
    Hello All,

Just a follow up on the prop feathering. LOL.. as usual John is right on top of everything, and has already updated the
    OH_P38F, so thought I would check out the keyboard setup for use as a prop feather device. In looking at the OH_B25, I found
    that it already has the Section 1509 in the airfile, so I used it for my keyboard testing. CFS2 has a command for "Arm/Unarm
    Auto Prop Feather" which is unscripted in the default keyboard, so I set up a command key for it at CTL+F. The default keyboard
    layout has commands for "Select Engine" at CTL+S, "Select Item 1" at SHIFT+F1, and "Select Item 2" at SHIFT+F2. After some
    major fiddling using only keys, I managed to select the port engine on the B25, shut it down, adjust the prop to 0 RPM, and
    engage the auto prop feathering. This is VERY tricky and took some practice, but if the airfile is set up with a Section 1509,
    it can be done using only the keys.

THANX for presenting this forum topic! Much fun learning new [for me] CFS2 multi-engine skills.

AER_DaddyO

Lol Ive tried that key before and could never get it to work.I see section 1509 in the B-25 OH airfile but it just says FS2k unknown.

I did quick test and can feather engine on B-25 OH as you did.However, it seems the model I fly the most, which is most likely to need its prop feather due to the low level work(TR B-25C gunships Dirty Dora etc) does not have it enabled as can not feather the prop.Ah always something to adjust

Lol Ive tried that key before and could never get it to work.I see section 1509 in the B-25 OH airfile but it just says FS2k unknown.

I did quick test and can feather engine on B-25 OH as you did.However, it seems the model I fly the most, which is most likely to need its prop feather due to the low level work(TR B-25C gunships Dirty Dora etc) does not have it enabled as can not feather the prop.Ah always something to adjust
    I'll put a couple together.

On a side note: It sounds like you .ini file needs to be updated. Or your path to aired needs to be adjusted. with it set correctly it should show this

1509=Propeller Feathering

[1509]
    1=00,BOOL,Prop Feather Available
    2=04,BOOL,Auto Feather Available
    3=08,double,*Min RPM for Feathering?
    3h=Untested
    4=10,double,Prop Feathered Blade Angle
    5=18,double,*Power Absorbed Coeff at Feather
    5h=Prop Cp when Feathered| See TBL 1512 typ 0.9| was Feather delay
    6=20,BOOL,*Defeathering Accumulators
    6h=Verified (int32?)

something to look into later on.

Here is the setup for the OH P-38F.

P38F_LIGHTNING.zip

Its not historicaly accurate by any means. Let me know how it works.

P38F_LIGHTNING.zip

Thanks, will give it a try.Which part is not historically accurate? Feathering the prop on a 38?

Thanks, will give it a try.Which part is not historically accurate? Feathering the prop on a 38?
    The gauge placement. I put them where they would fit.

The gauge placement. I put them where they would fit.

Ah got ya, well no big deal.Works great, thanks for doing that. Will be nice to have in future missions.

P38F_LIGHTNING.zip

BlooHawk, would you be willing to do this for this P38J(attached here) as did with the P38F? I have tried with no success.

I tried to attach but says have reached my limit and dont see how to clear it out. I could send you the P38J.It's based on the OH P38.

BloodHawk, would you be willing to do this for this P38J(attached here) as did with the P38F? I have tried with no success.

I tried to attach but says have reached my limit and dont see how to clear it out. I could send you the P38J.It's based on the OH P38.
    I'll send you a PM with my email address.

P-38j prop feathering

dasuto,

Here are the replacement files for the P-38j.

the switches are not in a historical location. I placed them next to the RPM gauges. All entries are in the air and cfg files. to save space I only included the replacement files.

P38J_LIGHTNING.zip

let me know if everything works correctly.

dasuto,

the switches are not in a historical location. I placed them next to the RPM gauges. All entries are in the air and cfg files. to save space I only included the replacement files.

P38J_LIGHTNING.zip

Works great Thank you

Nice!

One of the Bong missions knocks out his starboard engine and one has to shut it down. I think he is in a David Copeland P-38J for that mission.
    Feathering will make it easier to fly that wounded Lightning.....
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog73 View Post
    Nice!

One of the Bong missions knocks out his starboard engine and one has to shut it down. I think he is in a David Copeland P-38J for that mission.
    Feathering will make it easier to fly that wounded Lightning.....

Yes, bloodhawk was kind of enough to remedy this issue in the stock/OH models.I lost several good missions due to being unable to feather a prop.Without the prop feathered, seems have to work the lone engine too much, usually burns up before could make it back to base.Identical circumstances, with feather propped can fly on reasonable power settings and make it home on one engine.

...I lost several good missions due to being unable to feather a prop.Without the prop feathered, seems have to work the lone engine too much, usually burns up before could make it back to base....

Soooo, a successful bailout and later rescue doesn't keep such missions in the success column even after achieving everything else? Maybe you should rethink the common notion of setting a safe return as a critical mission objective in MB productions. Just leave it as "stay alive" for all missions that you produce. Too bad the sim doesn't allow continuations or mission success after good crash landings with everything else accomplished -- "It's gonna blow!"

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    Soooo, a successful bailout and later rescue doesn't keep such missions in the success column even after achieving everything else? Maybe you should rethink the common notion of setting a safe return as a critical mission objective in MB productions. Just leave it as "stay alive" for all missions that you produce. Too bad the sim doesn't allow continuations or mission success after good crash landings with everything else accomplished -- "It's gonna blow!"
    bearcat241, the sim does allow that, but your mission has to have the red "front" line installed in MB and you have to be on the Allied side of the red line.

In the case of the Bong mission, I built it to be as accurate as possible to the real mission Bong flew.
    He made it back to base on one engine.

Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post

Well I usually leave staying alive as only official objective in my missions.A ditching or bailing out in friendly territory is a success in some ways, especially after five kills.Problem was without being able to feather prop, other engine burned up trying to stay airborne, had to ditch in enemy territory.Have flown a similiar mission since, with being able to feather prop, I was able to make it to friendly airfield and make emergency landing.

gotcha...

devildog73, i think you missed the inference of my "It's gonna blow!" quip. I take it that you've never had to deal with that one after a good crash landing?

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

dasuto,

P38J_LIGHTNING.zip

Bloodhawk. How do you add this exactly? Section 1509 in airfile yes? Always shows up unknown when I open it view aired, if its even there.I need to add this to the TR B-25 strafers, as they are mostly likely need to feather a prop due to flying low with all the AA fire.

Members who have read this thread: 1