Opinions on this new PC Aviatior software

Thread: Opinions on this new PC Aviatior software

Opinions on this new PC Aviatior software

Anyone know anything about this? I'm not very knowledgeable about software, so I would like to see what some of you think about the benefits of this product

http://www.pcaviator.com/store/produ...roductid=20521

I got that same e-mail and wonder about what it's supposed to do as well.

RD

Oh snap. No Pictures. Might have to actually read it.
    Back in a while.

This piques my interest. I'm curious about reviews.

Hi,

I also got the email where they advertise this thing ("... the holy grail of improving performance" and such) and frankly thought that it was a steaming pile of... Anyway, the hyperbole should be interpreted as a warning label. Usually if software is advertised like this is one can be sure that it's nonsense. There have been way too many "performance tools" that promised a magical performance increase and most turned out to be BS.

After reading some of the description it seems that this software stores frequently used files on a fast drive (i.e. SSD) in order to make access to those files faster than if they were stored on a conventional harddrive. Perhaps this makes sense for certain applications, but I really don't see how this would improve performance in FSX/P3D in any significant way. A big chunk of data is loaded when the flight is started, and then the sim grabs all additional data as you fly along. Even if this loading of data (which is continuous) would hamper performance in any way, which is unlikely, caching any data would make no sense at all unless you always fly between the same two airports along exactly the same route.
    I may be wrong, as I don't have much technical knowledge in this area, but my gut tells me that this is all BS.

I like PCAviator and have frequently bought from their store, but if they feel the need to advertise something like this I'll stay clear of them in the future.

Cheers,
    Steve

Charter Member 2016
    Windows vista and above can do this automatically, provided you enable it. It's called ReadyBoost, and is built into the operating system.
    Edit,words
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    Hi,

I also got the email where they advertise this thing ("... the holy grail of improving performance" and such) and frankly thought that it was a steaming pile of... Anyway, the hyperbole should be interpreted as a warning label. Usually if software is advertised like this is one can be sure that it's nonsense. There have been way too many "performance tools" that promised a magical performance increase and most turned out to be BS.

After reading some of the description it seems that this software stores frequently used files on a fast drive (i.e. SSD) in order to make access to those files faster than if they were stored on a conventional harddrive. Perhaps this makes sense for certain applications, but I really don't see how this would improve performance in FSX/P3D in any significant way. A big chunk of data is loaded when the flight is started, and then the sim grabs all additional data as you fly along. Even if this loading of data (which is continuous) would hamper performance in any way, which is unlikely, caching any data would make no sense at all unless you always fly between the same two airports along exactly the same route.
    I may be wrong, as I don't have much technical knowledge in this area, but my gut tells me that this is all BS.

I like PCAviator and have frequently bought from their store, but if they feel the need to advertise something like this I'll stay clear of them in the future.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Thanks for the response and detailed explanation Don!

"It slices! It dices! Make julienne potatoes this fast! How much would you expect to pay for this great flight sim software? Don't answer yet, there's more..." So PC Aviator is excited about their product, I don't mind a little hyperbole in the advertising. If PrimoCache can improve the performance of my FSX set-up without my having to resort to more expensive hardware upgrades (besides a SSD) I'd be inclined to try it out. I appreciate Don Quixote's assessment because some of the terms in the PC Aviator description kinda went over my head without even making a touch-and-go. Since I am tech-challenged I'll need to see a review first before buying.

I fell for it, pad my money, and was really surprised. When I booted my PC THERE IT WAS...The HOLY GRAIL!!
    Sorry all..just couldn't help it....too many references to the Holy Grail tend to set me off.
    I really would like to know if the program is worth the hype..but hasn't it been around for a couple of years?

Well, you not only need to buy the software but you need some hardware too. Either an SSD or fairly large 3.0 flash drive. I'm not a hardware pricing expert but I think the whole thing would be around $80-100. And how much would it help if at all? Kind of like people who get 16 gig of ram when FSX doesn't really use more than about eight. If they offered a money back on the whole thing, I might be interested but that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by rich12545 View Post
    Well, you not only need to buy the software but you need some hardware too. Either an SSD or fairly large 3.0 flash drive. I'm not a hardware pricing expert but I think the whole thing would be around $80-100. And how much would it help if at all? Kind of like people who get 16 gig of ram when FSX doesn't really use more than about eight. If they offered a money back on the whole thing, I might be interested but that's all.
    FSX is a 32 bit program...it wouldn't even know what 8gig of ram was....neither would a 32bit OS....

BTW...I have 32gig of DDR4 [Corsair Dominator Platinum [4x8G] 2666MHz]...but that's not for FSX, it's for FSX and 8 instances of PSP and 6 instances of DTXBmp [and a whole bunch of other stuff at the same time].

I want to know how many snakes had to die to make this snake oil...

I am not that brave, but there is a trial of this available:

http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/p.../download.html

I got the initial email, and today the second one.

As this is not how a product usually is presented, I didn't click on the link, and was going to email PCAviator to find out is the email was legit.

I never had problems with purchases from PCAviator, but this email correspondence certainly made all alarm bells go off.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Holy Grail dosen't exist.... Especially on the advertising . I know only the one way - change a hardware .
    Last edited by YoYo; July 27th, 2015 at 23:34.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Snake Oil.
    PCAviator is now on the Junk Mail list.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

It doesn't do anything for my performance, I'm afraid.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    It doesn't do anything for my performance, I'm afraid.

Dave
    Kind of what I expected. At best, I assumed the software might reduce load times, but apparently they are just doing mundane caching for texture loads. Most modern systems can handle this quite fine.

Members who have read this thread: 1