Douglas A20 Havoc - Page 2
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 123456789101252 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas A20 Havoc

Douglas A20 Havoc

good morning Milton,
    youhouuu, I just came back from work - and now near to three weeks of holydays !
    So I will have time to finish the Tigercat panel, and perhaps to make the panel for the Lodestar, also is in the tube a 2d panel for the A-26 Invader.
    All Us planes - due to the amazing work you do.
    Hmm "all american" do think about to do one day perhaps also a german plane? Dornier Do-17, or early Heinkel He 111, or never done as real FS2004 plane a Junkers Ju-86 ? I know that Hauke Keitel planned to do the Ju-86, but he seems to have left the scenery.
    Wouldn`t it be a challenge ? There is still a Junkers Ju-86 existing - in Sweden. This plane also was staring in the Film about Ernst Udet " the devil's general".
    Difficult to ignore that my origins are german, isn't it ?

Bis Bald

Michael "Papi" Vader

Papi, sounds like you are having all the fun we should have being creative with our time and sharing our contributions with friends. :-) I hope you truly enjoy your holidays.

I am still working to finish the Harpoon final fixes and get them uploaded to the various sites.

Also working on the Mallard, Lodestar and Ventura concurrently, and doing a little beta testing on the FSX native F7F-1.
    And, I also have the F7F's FS9 version to get out as well but I await a paint kit from ******** so we (you all) can get some paint schemes going.
    I have the packages ready, just need some serious paint work done.

It's great to be retired. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Here is a video that was just posted from the first flight of the Rod Lewis A-20 Havoc, which took place about a month back. The only one flying in the world: https://vimeo.com/138349838

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Here is a video that was just posted from the first flight of the Rod Lewis A-20 Havoc, which took place about a month back. The only one flying in the world: https://vimeo.com/138349838
    WOW! She flies! It's great to see an airworthy A-20 Havoc!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

A-20 Havoc - Time to get Serious

Well, finally with the Harpoons, Lodestars, Ventura, the F7F series, and Commander 685 off my desk, I have only the Mallards left to launch (awaiting textures).

So, I am already bored and must get my data archive together on the A-20 Havoc, and get serious about modeling.

I have been studying my 3-views cross sections and it is frustrating how different they are among different authored prints.

We shall overcome this however.

I posted a link earlier in this thread to the initial thread on this project and there were some offers made that I would like to see come to fruition.

Give me a few days to get my head around this and maybe I will settle into some serious modeling after that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A-20_attack_bomber_leaves_the_assembly_line.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Icon14 Reply...

Milton,

Good call! I love the A-20 Havoc, she was one of the most underrated light bomber / attack aircraft of WWII. The Soviets loved her too, so did the Brits!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Looking forward to this one Milton. The RAAF used them in their PTO. 2 have been restored to museum static display and I believe one is also being restored to flying status.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Here are some more photos to add for reference, if needed (these all from Rod Lewis' airworthy A-20G):

Me two! the A-20 is very high on my favorite list of Aircraft. Thanks Milton. (hehe looking forward for the A-20 and to tear up the New Mexico sky!)

A great choice! I have this book, called "Wreaking Havoc, A Year in an A-20", by Joseph W. Rutter. He drove A-20s in the Pacific. The book has a lot of good stories on handling qualities of this plane. No numbers, but interesting stuff.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Thanks you John for the reference photos; as you know, one can never have too many.

Thanks everyone for your interest. I'll see what I can do to get this started.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Cool! A BD-1!!! (Navyese for the A-20)

The old AlphaSim one was a favorite in FS9, but very dated. Milton's spin on it is gonna be great!
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

It has begun; the slow, methodical, pains-taking effort of minutia. LOL

This is where one has to be patient, particular, artistic, and critical. Everything else depends on doing this right.

So they say ... :-)

This will take a few days, pushing and shoving, comparing and adjusting, drinking coffee and eye-balling it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2015-nov-28-001.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2015-nov-28-002.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2015-nov-28-003.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hurray!

LOL Huub; that's how I felt when I finally got my desk cleaned off to do this one. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    It has begun; the slow, methodical, pains-taking effort of minutia. LOL

This is where one has to be patient, particular, artistic, and critical. Everything else depends on doing this right.

So they say ... :-)

This will take a few days, pushing and shoving, comparing and adjusting, drinking coffee and eye-balling it.

Great work Milton! Always easy to welcome another radial into the hangar!

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    Great work Milton! Always easy to welcome another radial into the hangar!
    A photo from my father's WWII collection, shot in N. Africa, possibly 1942 or 1943. I'll see if I can find more.

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    A photo from my father's WWII collection, shot in N. Africa, possibly 1942 or 1943. I'll see if I can find more.

Please do! I hope this paint scheme will be done by somebody.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Back in the old days, everybody had to get out of their seats, get in the car, drive to the local airport to see a new release.

Today, we just hang out in our houses around forums awaiting a new release. :-)

EDIT: Wait! Isn't that Willy 2nd from the right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st A-20 at Savannah via Jim Chastain.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

excellent news, but please, make one for FSX too?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Robert S. Johnson, of P-47 Thunderbolt fame, was convinced through student scuttlebutt because of his height he was ineligible to fly fighters and, while in his pilot classes, rather resignedly asked for A-20s instead as, to him, it was the closest thing the AAF had to a fighter - even though it really wasn't a fighter. Someone in the Army Personnel branch, for some odd reason, thought otherwise.

In-case it hasn't been found/seen yet, here is a collection of over 300 A-20 photos (including some great cockpit shots): https://www.flickr.com/photos/133697...57651919651333

Members who have read this thread: 3