Douglas A20 Havoc
Page 1 of 53 1234567891151 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas A20 Havoc

Douglas A20 Havoc

This is "our" next project in the queue. I have been wanting to get this started for a long time. However, I will wait until the Harpoons, Lodestars, and Mallard are off my desk before starting.

I have amassed lots of research on this aircraft over the last few years and hopefully we will do her justice.

Here's a great website with a breakdown and write-up on all the variants.

http://www.americancombatplanes.com/a20_1.html
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Excellent news, Milton. A plane to accompany my A-28 and A-38 Grizzly variants.

Somehow I remember reading about a Tigercat in the project queue, maybe between the lines. I'm seeing a lot of activity for the Tigercat on the "dark side" forum but very little, here in the "ole folks vintage FS9" side. Has the Tigercat become solely an FSX venture?

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

That is fantastic news, Milton!

Here are some photos of the only A-20 Havoc in the world that flies - its first post restoration flight just took place less than two weeks ago. It is owned by Rod Lewis (Lewis Air Legends) and was restored to original WWII configuration by Aero Trader at Chino, CA. (This is the same A-20 which used to be owned by the Lone Star Flight Museum). Its a very authentic restoration, with full armament, reportedly including the ventral "tunnel gun" (which can't be seen in these photos), and other original WWII details, like the proper radios - note on top of the aircraft, the original WWII radio directional finding compass loop antenna, used on aircraft in the CBI Theatre and parts of the South Pacific Theatre, as well as a standard WWII VHF antenna.

I got to see this aircraft while it was under restoration, but photos weren't allowed to be taken. The same powerplants as a B-25, but noticeably smaller and with a single pilot.

Wow Milton, I really admire your drive .

Huub

Ooooh yes, that 's really a must airplane and it's really good news.

Milton thank you very much.

YES !!!

One of my all time favorite WW2 planes!

Thank you! One of my favorite planes, one that has long been under represented in flight sims. I know it will be awhile and we'll have Lodestars and Harpoons to keep us busy. But I'm really glad you're modeling this plane. Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Excellent news, Milton. A plane to accompany my A-28 and A-38 Grizzly variants.

Somehow I remember reading about a Tigercat in the project queue, maybe between the lines. I'm seeing a lot of activity for the Tigercat on the "dark side" forum but very little, here in the "ole folks vintage FS9" side. Has the Tigercat become solely an FSX venture?

BB686
    Tom,

I made most of the mods to the F7F series of aircraft before I packaged it up for an FSX native conversion. I have been so busy with the Harpoons/Lodestars/Mallard that I have not touched the F7F's since.

I have not forgotten nor forsaken the Tigercats :-) They will be coming out before long.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    That is fantastic news, Milton!

Here are some photos of the only A-20 Havoc in the world that flies - its first post restoration flight just took place less than two weeks ago. It is owned by Rod Lewis (Lewis Air Legends) and was restored to original WWII configuration by Aero Trader at Chino, CA. (This is the same A-20 which used to be owned by the Lone Star Flight Museum). Its a very authentic restoration, with full armament, reportedly including the ventral "tunnel gun" (which can't be seen in these photos), and other original WWII details, like the proper radios - note on top of the aircraft, the original WWII radio directional finding compass loop antenna, used on aircraft in the CBI Theatre and parts of the South Pacific Theatre, as well as a standard WWII VHF antenna.

I got to see this aircraft while it was under restoration, but photos weren't allowed to be taken. The same powerplants as a B-25, but noticeably smaller and with a single pilot.
    That's great news John; thank you fro the heads-up and pictures.

My biggest issue will be deciding which variants to do, and how to manage a project with so many popular variants.

I would love to hear from folks about the variants that would be most desired.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    My biggest issue will be deciding which variants to do, and how to manage a project with so many popular variants.

I would love to hear from folks about the variants that would be most desired.
    That should open the floodgates..........

That's easy:Early A-20B or C, A-20G with 20mm long gun nose, A-20G 30mm short gun nose and the A-20J/K bomber nose.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by p3aewguy View Post
    That's easy:Early A-20B or C, A-20G with 20mm long gun nose, A-20G 30mm short gun nose and the A-20J/K bomber nose.

Dave
    ^^^^^^This. Then, if you're still feeling up to it, a P-70 and an early Boston.

As you know there are many variants, 4 engine types, nose configs, 2 tails, 4 cowlings, 2 nacelles, gun configs, and machine gun/turret configs.

Obviously, I cannot do all of them, probably not the DB-7 (smaller engine and nacelle and vtail) or DB-7a (stepped nose glass), but the DB-7b, Boston III is likely.

That would also presume then the A-20 (similar to the DB-7b) without turbocharger (A-20A with diagonal nose window glass) (most A-20's were converted to P-70s).

The A-20B 's (similar to the DB-7A) were unpopular due to poor armor protection and no self-sealing tanks. Most went to Russia or used in recon missions. Likely will not do this variant.

The A-20C and G's are likely on the list to be done.

The D/E/F are not on the list.

The H/K's are a possibility but would require different nose, cowlings and flight models.

These are just my initial takes on the series and may change. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Very odd jobs man and MiGaholic
    So long as I get something too paint Soviet I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    So long as I get something too paint Soviet I'll be happy.
    I suspect you will Sir :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I just ran across the original A-20 Data Collection thread I started on the A-20 and wanted to make a link to it here as it has good stuff :-)

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ata-Collection
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Here are some photos that have been posted to Facebook via Challenge Publications ("Air Classics" and "Warbirds International" magazines), of the Rod Lewis A-20G Havoc, that has now been flying following a six-year restoration to original WWII configuration, and is the only A-20 in the world that can fly. It is being featured in the next issue of "Air Classics". The restoration features all of the original military equipment, working bomb bay, full armament, and an operational Martin 250 turret. There was a ton of work involved to do all of that and return it to full stock WWII condition, as it was modified into an executive transport in the post-war years. According to Challenge Publications, a Tokyo tank is being built to extend the aircraft's limited range.

Hopefully this aircraft will be seen at some airshows next year, or even perhaps one later this year. Stewart Dawson has been the test pilot for all of the flights thus-far, and has reported that the aircraft has wonderful flying characteristics.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11896232_858919267519252_3708657753993281105_n.jpg  

Thank you John for that info. We are wrapping up the Harpoons, Lodestars, Mallard and F7F's over the next 30 days or so and then we plan to get started on the A-20 project for FS9.

It would be great to see an FSX native project going too.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Here are a couple more high-resolution photos of this particular A-20G Havoc restoration:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wingma...22838/sizes/h/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/wingma...63930/sizes/h/

I love the early-war olive drab - a lighter shade than what was used later in WWII.

Speaking of A-20 Havocs, I got to see Howard Hughes' A-20 up-close last year, now owned by Kermit Weeks, disassembled and in storage at Aero Trader's desert storage yard. Peering inside, it still had all of the 1950's-era executive interior. I suspect that Weeks will have it restored to full original WWII configuration as well, when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Here are a couple more high-resolution photos of this particular A-20G Havoc restoration:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wingma...22838/sizes/h/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/wingma...63930/sizes/h/

I love the early-war olive drab - a lighter shade than what was used later in WWII.

Speaking of A-20 Havocs, I got to see Howard Hughes' A-20 up-close last year, now owned by Kermit Weeks, disassembled and in storage at Aero Trader's desert storage yard. Peering inside, it still had all of the 1950's-era executive interior. I suspect that Weeks will have it restored to full original WWII configuration as well, when the time comes.
    Beautiful shots John; added to my reference pics pool.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

As you know there are many variants, 4 engine types, nose configs, 2 tails, 4 cowlings, 2 nacelles, gun configs, and machine gun/turret configs.

Obviously, I cannot do all of them, probably not the DB-7 (smaller engine and nacelle and vtail) or DB-7a (stepped nose glass), but the DB-7b, Boston III is likely.

That would also presume then the A-20 (similar to the DB-7b) without turbocharger (A-20A with diagonal nose window glass) (most A-20's were converted to P-70s).

The A-20B 's (similar to the DB-7A) were unpopular due to poor armor protection and no self-sealing tanks. Most went to Russia or used in recon missions. Likely will not do this variant.

The A-20C and G's are likely on the list to be done.

The D/E/F are not on the list.

The H/K's are a possibility but would require different nose, cowlings and flight models.

These are just my initial takes on the series and may change. :-)
    Dear Milton,

The A-20C and A-20G (with early type cowlings) will surely make most people very happy.

Just my two cents,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Dear Milton,

The A-20C and A-20G (with early type cowlings) will surely make most people very happy.

Just my two cents,
    Huub
    That is my opinion as well Huub. I'll have to think how best to handle some nose variants without getting too cutsie or creating a mess of the texture mapping. Keep it simple saves me and others a lot of time.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

That is my opinion as well Huub. I'll have to think how best to handle some nose variants without getting too cutsie or creating a mess of the texture mapping. Keep it simple saves me and others a lot of time.
    I love keeping things simple. Looking forward to the Havoc! There are a bunch of paints out there for the old Alpha Sim one. We've flown it on several occasions during our nightly online flights. It's a favorite of mine and a "Milton" A-20 will be so much better!
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Although I have no real experience in this, I think when you unwrap the texture for the solid nose version it should fit the glass nose version as well.
    It requires different panel lines etc, but that shouldn't be a huge problem.

Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Although I have no real experience in this, I think when you unwrap the texture for the solid nose version it should fit the glass nose version as well.
    It requires different panel lines etc, but that shouldn't be a huge problem.

Huub
    For some models, that is true. The G and J/H noses had different shapes but I can probably swap noses at the bulkhead.

There were also different glass configs and gun mounts, so I'll just have to see when I get there. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 3