Douglas A20 Havoc - Page 11
Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas A20 Havoc

A-20A/B/C Havoc Assistance Request

Currently working on the A-20A/B/C variants adding a glass nose and upper tail gunner canopy.

I have lots of reference for the gunner's area but none for the nose interior except the left side.

Does anyone have better reference for the bombardier's area needed to help flesh out the VC interior and exterior appearance of inside nose items.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nose4.jpg   nose1.jpg   nose2.jpg   nose3.jpg   nose5.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Although I won't give up, I now realise how few pictures there are from the interior of the nose section.

I have been searching all evening and haven't found anything usesful so far.....

Huub

Milton,
    No doubt there will be someone with an english version (or translation!) of this cutaway, but gives an idea. There seems to be a circuit breaker board and some dials?

Have you got the excellent Crowood Douglas Boston Havoc book? If not I'll send it over, is it still b$jabb?

Also unfortunately the pilot's handbook/notes doesn't show anything useful.

Looking very good as well!

Cheers

Shessi

Thant's no problem, the English version is here:

Huub, Shessi, I appreciate your efforts. You can appreciate how tough the task of getting the nose interior build correct when reference material is scarce. I know you experience the same with your projects.

Gotta keep looking; maybe someone will uncover a treasure trove. :-)

Thank you
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I have 6 or 7 pictures of the Bombardier's station in my A-20 book. I'll see if I can get them scanned in tomorrow after work. I have a ton of info on the pilot's station, just as an FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    I have 6 or 7 pictures of the Bombardier's station in my A-20 book. I'll see if I can get them scanned in tomorrow after work. I have a ton of info on the pilot's station, just as an FYI.
    That will be most appreciated Sir; thank you.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi,
    The 1945 film 'The Way To The Stars' features lots of Bostons and some very fine English accents by the look of the cast! There may be interesting and/or helpful shots of the bombardier's place. I haven't seen it, but it is available on youtube.

Andy.

Also known as 'Johnny in the Clouds'. Not me, the film.
    Last edited by lemonadedrinker; June 22nd, 2016 at 13:30.

Here are the images. The last one of the panel, I'm not sure if that panel was in the Bombardier's station or the cockpit. I have another panel that is labeled as the cockpit bomb panel so this m,ay be an adjunct to it, but I scanned it JIC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A-20-4.jpg   A-20-3.jpg   A-20-2.jpg   A-20-1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by lemonadedrinker View Post
    Hi,
    The 1945 film 'The Way To The Stars' features lots of Bostons and some very fine English accents by the look of the cast! There may be interesting and/or helpful shots of the bombardier's place. I haven't seen it, but it is available on youtube.

Andy.

Thanks Andy, I will check it out.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

BTW, those images are from The Douglas A-20 Havoc The Ultimate Look: From Drawing Board to Peerless Allied Light Bomber. By William Wolf via Schiffer Military History.

Edit: I just placed the reference here for anyone really interested in the A-20. This book is amazingly comprehensive. However, if you need any other material, just let me know. It's probably in this book.
    Last edited by Sundog; June 22nd, 2016 at 19:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Here are the images. The last one of the panel, I'm not sure if that panel was in the Bombardier's station or the cockpit. I have another panel that is labeled as the cockpit bomb panel so this m,ay be an adjunct to it, but I scanned it JIC.
    That looks great SD. Will check this out very closely.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Great find Sundog I really didn't expect that such detailed images would be available.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Now that's what I call the great spirit of teamwork. Well researched, Sundog!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Now that's what I call the great spirit of teamwork. Well researched, Sundog!
    Sundog has always been an amazing help for our projects. I am most appreciative.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi,

Andy.

Andy,

I found the movie but I cannot get it to play past the opening credits. When the actual show should start, all I get is a black screen as the timeline bar progresses. Will try on another computer. Strange.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Sorry about that Milton, I thought it was going to play on YouTube, but my computer went gaga and I'm not sure it's come back yet. Strange world we live on, then M$ wiped all my history, bookmarks, Classic Shell startup, deleted Malwarebytes and the Anti Exploit I'd paid for(!) reinstalled Norton security and other rubbish stuff like MSN and generally acted the giddy goat. Which I'm not pleased about !
    Andy

Sorry about that Milton, I thought it was going to play on YouTube, but my computer went gaga and I'm not sure it's come back yet. Strange world we live on, then M$ wiped all my history, bookmarks, Classic Shell startup, deleted Malwarebytes and the Anti Exploit I'd paid for(!) reinstalled Norton security and other rubbish stuff like MSN and generally acted the giddy goat. Which I'm not pleased about !
    Andy
    Wow! Sorry to hear about those issues Andy; hope you get it sorted soon.

I finally got the A-20A/C nose sorted after all this time; a real challenge it was. There was a similar challenge with the rear upper gunner's canopy area, just not as many cuts and angles. Making progress though but much to do. Unfortunately the variant is requiring a texture remap for the fuselage but the rest will be the same as the G model unless I decide to change the cowl flaps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nose.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    ​Watching this project with baited breath. appears to a lot of scope for some Aussie paints when it is released.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    ​Watching this project with baited breath. appears to a lot of scope for some Aussie paints when it is released.
    Thank you Sir. It's fun working on this, albeit has its challenges.

Pretty much now wrapping up the exterior A-20C model save the gun pods and ports, then on to mapping the fuselage.
    Then I will bring in the VC from the G model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-jun-29-008.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks Milton, any update on this project always makes me very happy

I have been looking from additional pictures for the interior of the bombardier section, but as already mentioned earlier; these pictures aren't really a common thing .
    Although pictures from the exterior show some variations in the equipment in this section.

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi,
    I seem to have found a site to watch the film

https://archive.org/details/TheWayToTheStars

but whether it works on your side of the sea is another matter.!

On Google it is listed as The Way to the Stars :Anatole de Grunwald .There is one shown on YouTube but I think it's dead.

Andy.

Hi,
    I seem to have found a site to watch the film

https://archive.org/details/TheWayToTheStars

but whether it works on your side of the sea is another matter.!

On Google it is listed as The Way to the Stars :Anatole de Grunwald .There is one shown on YouTube but I think it's dead.

Andy.
    Thank you Andy. I checked out the movie. It had one scene involving A-20B based P-70's with exhaust fire suppressors. There were no interior shots unfortunately.
    I also noticed they took off without flaps. I suppose for the movie scene they were not bomb-laden and were not full of fuel. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Thanks Milton, any update on this project always makes me very happy

I have been looking from additional pictures for the interior of the bombardier section, but as already mentioned earlier; these pictures aren't really a common thing .
    Although pictures from the exterior show some variations in the equipment in this section.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Thank you Huub. Yes, I too noticed differences; some had no bomb sight, some did. Some were gunned differently. And, not sure what changes were made between the Bostons and Havocs through the series, but pretty sure the Bostons used different bomb sight equipment. I'll need to go back and do some reading on those differences but will use the pics posted above for a general layout of the area.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; June 29th, 2016 at 14:38.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi,
    I just watched it and was going to post up that, unless you really like elderly British stiff upper lip war films, with only a passing mention of the thing that was most important to this thread, then it was probably not of much value !

Sorry about that!
    Andy.

....any value...!

Members who have read this thread: 3