Douglas A20 Havoc - Page 14
Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617181920212224 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas A20 Havoc

Wow, just checked this thread for the first time in a month. Old girl looks beautiful, Milton, I have no words.

Quote Originally Posted by LE151 View Post
    Simply Beautiful Mr. Shupe!!!!!............looking spectacular!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    What a beauty! Always love watching these works of art come together!
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    ​Starting to look like an aircraft now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Looks great. It's so nice to know we're finally going to have a quality A-20 for flightsim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maty12 View Post
    Wow, just checked this thread for the first time in a month. Old girl looks beautiful, Milton, I have no words.
    Thanks for your comments Gentlemen. Working on the time-consuming mapping of the interior parts and surfaces now. Will take a few days to wrap this up before more serious cockpit work will be done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-25-001.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-25-002.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Thanks for your comments Gentlemen. Working on the time-consuming mapping of the interior parts and surfaces now. Will take a few days to wrap this up before more serious cockpit work will be done.
    Update on interior parts texture mapping: good progress on the major parts; now to wrap up the smaller items like life raft, machine gun setups, munitions, and door operating mechanisms. The VCockpit will be mapped/textured with the "G" model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-26-002.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by NathanT28 View Post
    All I can say is AMAZING WORK!
    Thanks Nathan. It really is just due diligence getting through it all. Just have to keep plugging away at it until everything is fleshed out.

I just completed the texture mapping for 680 parts ... that is quite the grind. :-)

Fortunately, most of that the painters will not have to deal with.

I have the VCockpit left to map and that should wrap up the mapping.

Then on to panel and gauge creation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-27-002.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-27-003.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

RE: In the home stretch now

Hi Milton,
    Now that you're in the home stretch in finishing up the A-20,...I've always thought what is more pleasurable for you to do: A,...Applying 'the paint' to the aircraft that brings it alive? or,...B, Working out a technical construction issue that you're finally able to resolve? C, Taking the aircraft up for the first time that you had created? D, The satisfaction and pleasure of finally completing the aircraft for others to use? I'm quite sure there's pleasure throughout the long journey in building an aircraft from scratch,...from doing the initial research to putting on those exterior colors and insignias,...otherwise you wouldn't be building them in the first place. :^)
    Best regards and my hat off to you,
    -Brad K.
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by brad kaste View Post
    Hi Milton,
    Now that you're in the home stretch in finishing up the A-20,...I've always thought what is more pleasurable for you to do: A,...Applying 'the paint' to the aircraft that brings it alive? or,...B, Working out a technical construction issue that you're finally able to resolve? C, Taking the aircraft up for the first time that you had created? D, The satisfaction and pleasure of finally completing the aircraft for others to use? I'm quite sure there's pleasure throughout the long journey in building an aircraft from scratch,...from doing the initial research to putting on those exterior colors and insignias,...otherwise you wouldn't be building them in the first place. :^)
    Best regards and my hat off to you,
    -Brad K.
    Hi Brad,

Research is time-consuming but can be fun if there is ample technical, performance, and operational data available. Fortunately, there are many here with troves of data they are willing to share.

Modeling is what I enjoy most. It's both creative and artistic, and a technical challenge as well. Good quality 3-views with cross sections are essential. I do not get off on fancy gmax tools but focus more on the process of construction and results. I try to maintain a balance of detail for modeling and rely on textures to pick up the slack. Using good texture mapping processes are essential at the end of this process to ease the burden for the texture artists.

I do not do the artistry (textures); I leave that to the really talented folks to bring the model to life. :-) The textures are usually in progress while I focus on panel and gauges.

I struggle to do the panel and gauges as I am not proficient in XML and no longer have a gauge programmer. So that is more at trudging through it using my inventory of gauges and altering them to meet the needs. There is satisfaction once I get the layout as I want it and Nigel or someone helps correct the gauge faces to spec. Then, I rely on the texture artist to make the panel and cockpit textures realistic with subtlety and shading.

I enjoy doing the flight model although I rely heavily on AirWrench to get the performance numbers correct. I do enjoy tuning to get the handling result I want (hand flying). For some aircraft, I prefer to pass this baton to Fliger747 (Tom Falley) as we all benefit from his RW flying experiences and talents. I will call on him if I cannot get satisfactory results on my own.

For Sounds and effects , I usually rely on other talented artists although I occasionally do my own effects.

Documentation is another drudgery for me that I usually skimp on providing only bare basics of operational data.

So that summarizes how I feel about each of the components of aircraft modeling and delivery. If it were not for talented texture artists and great people here who contribute and support us with manuals, drawings, and related technical data, it would be much less fun. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-27-006 (Large).jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

It looks really nice, Milton!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Invested today in cleanup of many small items, texture mapping cleanup, adding an animated bombardier, remapping the prop blades, spinner, and collars so they are paintable, and mapping the plexiglas nose so it is paintable. Just trying to give painters the flexibility to create as many variants as possible. Some early P-70's were made from A-20A's and C's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-29-007.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-29-008.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-29-009.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Milton you are unbloodybelievable!! After I switched to FSX back in the dark ages of 2006 I gradually dropped off reading the FS2004 forum only giving it a cursory glance occasionally finding that worked in FSX or P3D. Then suddenly up popped a thread called "A Lockheed Rounder". It piqued my interest as the RAAF used many Lockheeds during WWII. I followed it almost daily for how long I cannot remember. Once the different versions of the Lockheeds were finished and out in the FS world another item popped up that kept my attention. A Douglas A-20 Boston came onto the scene. Another RAAF favourite. I have tried my hand at painting some of the Lockheeds but my tired old eyes sometimes find it hard to do them.

To say I am looking forward to this aircraft is an understatement. The excitement of waiting for this is like being back in my childhood waiting for Santa to turn up at Christmas time. And for someone who is 6 weeks off turning 70 that says a lot.

Keep up the great work Milton.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Milton you are unbloodybelievable!! After I switched to FSX back in the dark ages of 2006 I gradually dropped off reading the FS2004 forum only giving it a cursory glance occasionally finding that worked in FSX or P3D. Then suddenly up popped a thread called "A Lockheed Rounder". It piqued my interest as the RAAF used many Lockheeds during WWII. I followed it almost daily for how long I cannot remember. Once the different versions of the Lockheeds were finished and out in the FS world another item popped up that kept my attention. A Douglas A-20 Boston came onto the scene. Another RAAF favourite. I have tried my hand at painting some of the Lockheeds but my tired old eyes sometimes find it hard to do them.

To say I am looking forward to this aircraft is an understatement. The excitement of waiting for this is like being back in my childhood waiting for Santa to turn up at Christmas time. And for someone who is 6 weeks off turning 70 that says a lot.

Keep up the great work Milton.
    Thank you Sir. Hopefully we can make these models enjoyable for all.

I am attaching some data from one of the manuals about serial numbers and types transferred to the RAAF. Maybe that will be of interest.
    I have quite a few articles, publications about the history and uses of all models and types. Lots of field pics and other interesting stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RAAF A-Cs.jpg   RAAF Gs.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    ​Thanks mate. I have a book somewhere around on the Bostons/Havocs. Probably still packed from when I moved here almost 2 years ago.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Animated bombardier for target run ...

This compliments the animated rear gunner and pilot so I think we are finally done with these amenities.

We need some OD dye for that hat. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-29-010.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-29-011.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-29-012.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-29-013.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hello Milton,

-Magnificent!

Alain

-

Milton,

Absolutely awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    I struggle to do the panel and gauges as I am not proficient in XML and no longer have a gauge programmer. So that is more at trudging through it using my inventory of gauges and altering them to meet the needs.
    You know my digits, just give a ring when needed! Will be honored to help.
    Just request that some artwork reference, or the artwork itself (cuz I suck at it too LOL!) along with information on how the gauge will react to the aircraft systems. (hyd, elec supply etc..) I'll give it my best.

Keep up the great work!
    Roman

Quote Originally Posted by spokes2112 View Post
    Milton,

Absolutely awesome!

You know my digits, just give a ring when needed! Will be honored to help.
    Just request that some artwork reference, or the artwork itself (cuz I suck at it too LOL!) along with information on how the gauge will react to the aircraft systems. (hyd, elec supply etc..) I'll give it my best.

Keep up the great work!
    You are very kind Sir. You have always been so busy, I hesitated to ask.

I will send an Email to discuss.

Thank you
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by alain0568 View Post
    Hello Milton,

-Magnificent!

Alain

-
    Thanks Alain. Creativity is fun but there is some work involved too. :-) We are just getting started so the best is yet to come.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Here is a list of the P-70 Night Fighter types and the aircraft they were converted from. We should be able to accommodate several of these types.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-30-001.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

A-20C A-20G and P-70 Descriptions

Just wanted to share some of the technicals about these types we are working on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A-20C Description.jpg   A-20G Description.jpg   P-70 Description.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I love these actual WWII photos and the stories they tell.

You can see in pic1 the post "D" day status as the upper surface invasion stripes have been painted over. Also, the aircraft is swarming with ground crew during their normal maintenance duties pre/post-flight.

In pic2 of the "Green Hornet", Lt. John Pryor is showing at least 69 completed missions in his A-20G-25-DO. There are several pics around of this aircraft.

In pic3, a nice example of probably a Boston III or late "C". Note the ground cowl flaps are open as they should be. These were separately controllable, required for ground cooling, and must be closed for take off as they destroyed lift. I modeled these ground flaps so that takeoff is impossible with them open.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2015-11-28 17.33.21.jpg   Screenshot 2015-11-29 10.36.32.jpg   Screenshot 2015-11-29 10.36.55.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

That's a very cool feature that you enabled, regarding the ground flaps. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of people wondering why their engines are over heating immediately after release. They'll flock to the forums to find out why.

I'll probably just overheat it and go, "Oh, yeah, Milton did mention something about that..." reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    That's a very cool feature that you enabled, regarding the ground flaps. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of people wondering why their engines are over heating immediately after release. They'll flock to the forums to find out why.

I'll probably just overheat it and go, "Oh, yeah, Milton did mention something about that..." reset.
    LOL No, they probably won't notice until they can't get off the ground even after dumping munitions, fuel, and excess crew.

We will likely put some kind of warning on the panel.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi,
    This is looking so fantastic, Milton!
    A shallow thought on the ground flaps; could they close with the brake release lever, as then you're beginning to roll.
    I am sure you have already thought about how you intend to model this

Looking forward to the release..

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonadedrinker View Post
    Hi,
    This is looking so fantastic, Milton!
    A shallow thought on the ground flaps; could they close with the brake release lever, as then you're beginning to roll.
    I am sure you have already thought about how you intend to model this

Looking forward to the release..

Andy.
    Hi Andy, :-)

Of course, there is no such auto-disengage in the RW aircraft but I intend to give you a warning light when those ground flaps are open. That should be indication enough (more than the Real World other than the checklist), to pay attention to procedure.

If I did not implement these ground flaps properly, I would certainly be called on that so it must be done. The manual is specific about these flaps destroying lift and must be closed.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Well, after a week of working on the interior mapping, I finally got the major parts of the VC mapped for textures, some 100 parts. That completes the major interior mapping for the nose, cockpit, bomb bay, and rear gunner's areas (around 290 parts).

Now to get down to serious business of details in the cockpit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-sep-1-001.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-sep-1-003.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 3