Douglas A20 Havoc - Page 12
Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112131415161718192022 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas A20 Havoc

Well there is some interesting reading about differnt bomb sights here: http://www.twinbeech.com/norden_bombsight.htm

Obviously the British used very different bomb sights.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Well there is some interesting reading about differnt bomb sights here: http://www.twinbeech.com/norden_bombsight.htm

Obviously the British used very different bomb sights.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Huub,

Yes, well familiar with Taigh's website. He was instrumental in providing pics and data for the AT-11 project including the Martin turret and the Norden bombsight.

I did a very basic sight for the AT-11 as poly limits were a concern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-jun-29-003.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-jun-29-004.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

I'll check my A-20 book to see what is written about bombardiers station equipment and if they list the differences between the models. Those preview pics look amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    I'll check my A-20 book to see what is written about bombardiers station equipment and if they list the differences between the models. Those preview pics look amazing.
    Thanks SD. I will likely use the one I built for the AT-11 with some mods.

Just finished modeling gun pods and ports. Wow! Anything to do with guns requires patience and perseverance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-jun-30-004.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-jun-30-006.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-jun-30-005.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

This project is coming along very nicely, Milton. I have enjoyed reading and watching about it since you started working on the Havoc. It gives me much more to appreciate what you and your team, as well as other dev's go through when producing a model of this kind of quality. I think of it this way.... If I could watch a team build an XP-74 Superbolt, or an Avia 57 in real life, then having the "boss" hand me the keys and say "Here, take her up and wring her out", something that is never taken lightly by a bloke like me.

Keep em' Flying!

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Thanks SD. I will likely use the one I built for the AT-11 with some mods.

Just finished modeling gun pods and ports. Wow! Anything to do with guns requires patience and perseverance.
    And a whole lot of guts. Gorgeous work, Skipper! :-)
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    This project is coming along very nicely, Milton. I have enjoyed reading and watching about it since you started working on the Havoc. It gives me much more to appreciate what you and your team, as well as other dev's go through when producing a model of this kind of quality. I think of it this way.... If I could watch a team build an XP-74 Superbolt, or an Avia 57 in real life, then having the "boss" hand me the keys and say "Here, take her up and wring her out", something that is never taken lightly by a bloke like me.

Keep em' Flying!

BB686
    Thank you Tom. We always appreciate your support and help in testing our work.

Yes, we tend to burn a lot of candles just getting through the basic infrastructure, and some the simple things like gun pods and gun ports that you would think would be easy to do require a lot of hours to do even at my basic level. But the exterior is rather simple compared to the agony of doing the VC in detail as there are no good scale drawings or 3-views for them. They are done at least by me more by sight with very little reference material. I hope what we deliver here is satisfactory. Thanks.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Basically, my book doesn't state what the early bomb sights were. They basically just like small telescopes pointing straight down to me. It does state that the nose of the A-20J was 7" longer than previous models specifically to accommodate the Norden Bomb Sight. It also states, as many here probably already know, that not many of the A-20's had the bomb sight; that it was typically the lead aircraft that had one and the rest of the planes dropped their load off of the leads drop.

Basically, my book doesn't state what the early bomb sights were. They basically just like small telescopes pointing straight down to me. It does state that the nose of the A-20J was 7" longer than previous models specifically to accommodate the Norden Bomb Sight. It also states, as many here probably already know, that not many of the A-20's had the bomb sight; that it was typically the lead aircraft that had one and the rest of the planes dropped their load off of the leads drop.
    Thanks SD. That agrees with my reading as well. I can as a minimum put a base mount in there and save the polys for other things I suppose. We shall see.

Working on the rear gunner's area now. Hopefully I can use the MG I built for the CANT Z1007 or Harpoon as a starting point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-jul-1-007.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Looking AMAZING Milton, wish I knew how to model as well as you do. Going to be an AWESOME aircraft!

Amazing - it keeps gettting better!

Quote Originally Posted by NathanT28 View Post
    Looking AMAZING Milton, wish I knew how to model as well as you do. Going to be an AWESOME aircraft!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    Amazing - it keeps gettting better!
    Thanks for the comments. Sorry this is going slow but much yet to do.

Just getting the upper rear MG in place and animated.

Moving on to the lower MG placement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-jul-4-005.jpg   mg.jpg  
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; July 4th, 2016 at 08:04. Reason: add pic
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton, looking good, thanks for your work.

Jim

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    Milton, looking good, thanks for your work.

Jim
    Good aircraft for Dudley, Jim .

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Rgr. Aussie Man, really looking forward to the Douglas. Seen a few of these during the war years in Southern California. Hehe I was a very young person then.

With the Mallard projects wrapped up, my attention has shifted to the A-20 Havoc full time ..... yeaaaa!!!

I thought that this website provided a good summary of variants and some interesting info so wanted to share:

http://www.americancombatplanes.com/a20_1.html

As for modeling progress, for the A-20-G20 I am wrapping up details in the cockpit.
    For the A-20C, I am wrapping up the rear upper gunner's area, and starting on the rear gunner's lower section. That will be followed by mapping the entire aircraft for textures.

Lots to do yet; long way to go, but I am on it now full time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-jul-30-001.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-jul-30-002.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-jul-30-003.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

With the Mallard projects wrapped up, my attention has shifted to the A-20 Havoc full time ..... yeaaaa!!!
    Yeaahhh!!!! That's rally good news Milton!

However make sure you take some rest once in a while! We are greedy, but can be patient when we need to

Cheers,
    Huub

Yeah, what Huub said. Don't over do it. Also, those preview pics look great. I'm definitely looking forward to finally having a good A-20 for FS.

Yeah, what Huub said. Don't over do it. Also, those preview pics look great. I'm definitely looking forward to finally having a good A-20 for FS.
    No problem guys; I have kicked back a bit and on occasion try to get a few things done in trying to wrap up the exterior here.

Looking around the exterior for any final changes before I move on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-11-003.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-11-002.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi,
    Just noticed the extraordinary contribution from Mary Babnick Brown (Wikipedia !)to the Norden bombsights.

Milton, this is looking to be another wonderful creation. Will you be able to model a human hair?

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonadedrinker View Post
    Hi,
    Just noticed the extraordinary contribution from Mary Babnick Brown (Wikipedia !)to the Norden bombsights.

Milton, this is looking to be another wonderful creation. Will you be able to model a human hair?

Andy.
    Thank you Andy; great story.

RE: Human hair: Individual strands of hair range in thickness from 1/1500 to 1/500 of an inch in diameter, depending on the properties of the hair in question. Typically, blond hair is thinnest since it usually does not have a middle layer like dark hair does. Black hair is the coarsest or thickest. In gmax, the smallest exportable size strand is 1/7th of an inch, about .004m (4 millimeters).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Babnik_Brown
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; August 11th, 2016 at 15:30.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Well, I have the bombardier's area appointed the best I can with the references I have.

Also, added the pilot's entry step and animated.

Left to do on the exterior is:

add wing tip lights (smaller for the "C" than the "G"),
    add rear belly gunner hatch and MG,
    flesh out top cockpit hatch infrastructure and add animated curtains,
    add the Bombay doors opening mechanism,
    change cowl flaps to "C" style,
    and, change exhausts to "C" style.

That should wrap up the exterior on the "C" model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-14-003.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-14-004.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Well, I have the bombardier's area appointed the best I can with the references I have.

Also, added the pilot's entry step and animated.

Left to do on the exterior is:

add wing tip lights (smaller for the "C" than the "G"),
    add rear belly gunner hatch and MG,
    flesh out top cockpit hatch infrastructure and add animated curtains,
    add the Bombay doors opening mechanism,
    change cowl flaps to "C" style,
    and, change exhausts to "C" style.

That should wrap up the exterior on the "C" model.

looking good sir...I look forward to painting this one when you are finished. :-)

Goodnight Milton

A new masterpiece in the works!
    Really beautiful!
    I am impatient!!!!

Alain
    -

Looking GREAT, this is a Masterpiece indeed!

Members who have read this thread: 3