Battle of Britain addon qustion
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Britain addon qustion

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

Battle of Britain addon qustion

Being it's the 75 anniversary of the beginning of the battle of Britain,it sparked my interest so i downloaded and installed the BoB addon ,(not the just flight one). The addon is AWESOME ! I read ,at the official website , that there is a update in the works. Is there anyone here that would know about the project and as to where it stands ?

Blog Entries
    There's been an update in the works for 5 years!

Here's the progress so far:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gdh7opcj1...jtGl6XbXa?dl=0

CFS3 BoB Install 0.1
    items added/revised/replaced

This is not all my work, credits are in the original readme file.

All 109 variants xdp cannons corrected
    Improved ai chatter aircraft added
    249 sqdn Hurricane 'Tom Neal'
    Albion tanker
    Contrail ai added
    Hurricane & Spitfire cockpit updates
    Goodwin sands Dorneir
    DR Blackburn Skua
    DR Fairey Fulmar
    Defiant gunner improved

airfield updates:
    Biggin Hill
    Cosford
    Hawkinge
    Kenley
    Littlestone
    Penhros
    Haldon
    Eastchurch
    Detling
    St Eval
    Shoreham
    Croydon
    Exeter

Field scenery tiles fixed
    New city textures
    Water textures
    London & other areas scenery

Castle
    Croydon Termnal
    Factory
    Hawkinge Fuel dump
    Redhill hanger
    Lighthouse
    Officers married quarters
    PAC crew
    Railway signals
    Tree updates
    Romney chalet
    RAF Personnel

Campaign with new ai

New/revised facilities:
    Biggin
    Croydon
    Exeter
    Supermarine factory
    Haldon
    Hawkinge
    St Just
    West Malling
    Anglesey
    Caernarvon
    Fighter factories

Missions:
    Sept 15th
    Large formation intercept
    Hurricane vs 110

Vehicles:
    Factories with smoke
    Pac gun
    Burning house
    RAF signal caravan
    QF37
    Bofors
    Smoke effects

Pilots:
    Briggs
    Mackenzie
    Miller
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info. Buddy . Hopefully there will be a all in one update or i'll use the site given and add what's available there. Thanks so much for the heads-up....

Blog Entries
    One more thing. CFS3-BoB addon is far and away better than Just Flights BoB- (payware CFS3 addon) and Il-2 Cliffs of Dover -(purposefully made for this era). Really enjoying it again,after being away for a while........Thank you to all involved in it's making/updating.

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    One more thing. CFS3-BoB addon is far and away better than Il-2 Cliffs of Dover.
    Really? How do you compare DX9 to DX10 and the advantages that DX10 offers? have you tried CoD with the TeamFusion mods?

Are you really saying that a program that is +10 years older than CoD is better than that?

Have you also considered that there is still good support out there for CoD and that there is none for CFS3?

Let's face it: Mickey$oft dumped us simmers. Over the years they treated us like glorified beta testers and then they dumped us.

No matter how big the improvements of BOB, ETO MAW and PTO, it still is an old sim without any support whatsoever.

Johan

Why are you comparing CFS3 to Call of Duty?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    Why are you comparing CFS3 to Call of Duty?
    CoD = Cliffs of Dover...

Blog Entries

Didn't mean to offend anyone....sorry

Sorry about the CoD statement. Never played it modded/updated. I do love Il-2 1946 and all the advancements made over the years. Il-2 '46 and CFS3 are my favorites though i'm saving up for a high end computer to enjoy the latest combat flight sims at their best. Il-2 '46 is old,like CFS3 and there are pluses and minuses for both. Will try out CoD again see.Thanks for the info on CoD. Thank you very much, Pat,for the link will get busy installing today!!

Blog Entries
    Just installed the new stuff and started testing it. All i can say is WOW ! Thanks so much Pat and all the other people that made this possible . Must leave for a while to play!

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Really? How do you compare DX9 to DX10 and the advantages that DX10 offers? have you tried CoD with the TeamFusion mods?

Are you really saying that a program that is +10 years older than CoD is better than that?

Have you also considered that there is still good support out there for CoD and that there is none for CFS3?

Let's face it: Mickey$oft dumped us simmers. Over the years they treated us like glorified beta testers and then they dumped us.

No matter how big the improvements of BOB, ETO MAW and PTO, it still is an old sim without any support whatsoever.

Johan
    Woah, seem to have hit a nerve here Johan! There are plenty of reasons why the BoB addon for CFS3 is pretty good. The big ones for me are:

1 its free!
    2 its flexible. So many amzing addons!
    3 its got a dynamic campaign engine so if you are any good with spawns you have a fresh mission every time!
    4 Ankors d3d mods make it the match of DX10 in terms of eye candy. Even the dodgy fishbowl effect has been addressed.
    5 no matter what you say about M$, they were inspired with some aspects of the game architecture - like dds textures. This sim is far better now than it was 10 years ago. I wonder if CoD will be seen so kindly after 10 years?

(Sorry I couldn't resist it was too tempting )

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    The BOB Anniversary set is wonderful, It's free, and updated too.

Thanks Clive for the update..
    Need to upload this to SOH as a Zip file.

I will add more Historical missions for this, since you have released this update.

With the various effects add-ons this really Rocks.
    Off to enjoy
    Time to wreck ..

Blog Entries
    More missions!!! Now that's what i'm talking about! Thanks Hobbit! Can't wait.....

Blog Entries
    Hopefully there will be a all in one update
    I don't know why Dropbox lists all the individual folders, it was uploaded as a single .zip - anyone know of a better service please?

On the CLoD issue - that sim was amazing and groundbreaking with its graphics and modelling. It's a real shame that it took a number of updates to get it stable. Having said that it raised the bar for combat flight sims. CFS3 still has it's place though as does the Rowans/Shockwave products. If you're interested in the Battle of Britain then all these sims bring a little bit to the party and all should be embraced as they are all we've got. I've been reading books aboout BoB since I was a kid and to bring that era to life through flight sims is simply wonderful no mater what your sim preference.

Just my tuppence worth

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    I don't know why Dropbox lists all the individual folders, it was uploaded as a single .zip - anyone know of a better service please?

On the CLoD issue - that sim was amazing and groundbreaking with its graphics and modelling. It's a real shame that it took a number of updates to get it stable. Having said that it raised the bar for combat flight sims. CFS3 still has it's place though as does the Rowans/Shockwave products. If you're interested in the Battle of Britain then all these sims bring a little bit to the party and all should be embraced as they are all we've got. I've been reading books aboout BoB since I was a kid and to bring that era to life through flight sims is simply wonderful no mater what your sim preference.

Just my tuppence worth
    Dropbox does indeed permit a download of the full zip, you just have to click on the "download" link in the upper right corner!

Johan

PS: here's a shot out of Cliffs of Dover

Last edited by Dumonceau; July 26th, 2015 at 06:59. Reason: Difference between left and right - THE OTHER RIGHT HAND SIDE!

And two more shots, out of the "pit" this time.

Do you think that this level of detail, quality, lighting and shadowing is possible with CFS3? In whatever flavour?

The future of flightsimming no longer resides with MS (offensive content removed by moderator), but rather with the other developers and gaming studios that have chosen to evolve. People and firms who embrace the limitless possibilities offered by new technologies.

CFS1/2/3, FS9 and FSX are relics. Remnants of a dim and distant past.

Those are my two €cents worth.

Johan

(offensive content removed by moderator), [/QUOTE]

Hahaha! Did you get your M$ commission Hairyspin?

No, I'm cheap like that shot.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Blog Entries
    Great pics Dumonceau, they do show the graphics of CLoD very well. However it's not just about pretty aircraft pics surely?

Personally For example what I want to experience in some small way is what a pilot would see from the cockpit of his aircraft whilst flying from an RAF airfield in July 1940.

This screenie is from CFS3 BoB. It's RAF Tangmere in Sussex, It's certainly not 100% accurate but as close as I could get considering my free time, the available data and shortcomings of the sim. It does however have the correct Belfast hangars and Handley Page Shed. Now please show me what the CLoD version looks like...

...and please this isn't meant as an argument. As stated all sims bring a little to the table whether its fidelity of aircraft modelling, eye candy or historical placement, we should enjoy and embrace them all. Vive la difference!

Actually I think CFS3 can get to that level graphically. Ankor's shaders mod has given us the capacity to have nearly all the nice visual features of Cliffs of Dover, but this is all very new and hasn't begun to be fully implemented.

Where I think Cliffs really excels is the complex modeling of the aircraft systems, there are improvements for CFS3 in the works, but it won't be able to reach that level or even come close.

What CFS3 has in its favor is a proper sized map (way larger than is in any combat sim released in the past decade) and that by itself offers lots of possibilities that aren't available in other sims. Add to that the endless modding possibilities and there is still quite a bit of fun to be had with CFS3.

I think I can live with this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot07-26-15-17-12-26.jpg   Shot07-26-15-17-38-06.jpg  
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    Sure didn't mean to ruffle any feathers ! I have Il-2 '46 patched up fully and modded. I love it and play it often, just as i do with CFS3 and its different versions. I have Il-2 CoD and will give it a shot again after i build my new gaming rig-(using a laptop now as my old gaming rig is doa). Thanks again Pat for the help !

Blog Entries
    I'm also a big fan of Il-2 '46 and just installed version 4.13 patch and can't believe it's still being factory supported after all these years,(wish CFS3 was) ! Looked into doing a Battle of Britain mod/install for Il-2 '46, but it is just too complicated for me to do at my skill level. Have been enjoying CFS3-BoB a lot,(played 4 hrs. last night) . Couldn't be happier !!! Easy to install and get in the action. Even resisted adding any other aircraft to the install ! Great work guys !!!! Looking forward to more missions in the future ...

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post

I think I can live with this...
    Major,

By all means, live with it. And I'll stick with modern technology and less sketchy graphics.

Lt. Johan Debleecker

Blog Entries
    I'm use to someone saying bad things about CFS3. We here at SOH know better and with all that's been done with CFS3, ie. ETO,PTO,MAW,KTO,aircraft,missions and more,there is still a lot this old sim has to offer. By the way what are you doing here if CFS3 -(BoB) is so outdated that it can't be compared to Il-2 CoD. Also factory support has ended with CoD because the team involved with it have been terminated . Funny that Il-2 '46 still is supported and it has been around 10 years or so ! It's only my opinion that Il-2 '46 is the best/last of the series. I'm mostly a CFS3 fan and that is why i'm here!
    Last edited by sixstrings5859; July 29th, 2015 at 17:10.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Clive, for the update..
    Setting up the BOB anniversary install, with the various shader, and effects, cloud and texture updates.
    Will get this sorted to my tastes, and start some new historical missions for this.
    Large formation types of historical missions.
    Oh Yea!!
    More rejoicing!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BOB shaders.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0