Ship wake
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ship wake

Ship wake

Hi,

Has any fix to the wake issue surfaced for the latest p3d? It is very annoying to see the flickering wake effect when you are closing in on a carrier.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

There will never be ay fix for this.
    The water is 3D and the wake is just a flat horizontal surface (2D).
    As a consequence, the flickering cannot be avoided.

Some did mofify the height of the effect, to prevent the highest waves from reaching it, but the visual result is worse than the original: the wake is several meters above the sea level....

Copy that. So we cannot have wakes for ai ships in p3d?

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

I have been working on a particle based Wake - it does work to a certain extent as the wake is no longer 2D but 3D, but I think that it can have performance consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    Copy that. So we cannot have wakes for ai ships in p3d?
    Only if you switch back to flat water, like in FSX/FS9.

Is there a difference in height between the water surface and 3d waves at dead calm, 0 knts wind speed?

Javier Hernandez' P3D Nimitz/Eisenhower Package used with aicarriers2.

Water full throttle!

Best airshow/rock concert ever!
    First flight game/sim...Atari 8 bit USAFF text based WWII bombing game!
    i7 6700k @ 4.675 ghz | Asus Maximus VIII Formula Mother Board | 500 gig Samsung EVO 950 M.2 for OS | Crucial 500 gig SSD dedicated to P3D | 16 gigs Corsair Dominator DDR4@3200 | Corsair H115i AIO 280mm | GTX Asus Strix 1080 GPU | 4K 49" LG Monitor | Windows 10 64 bit

Has Javier released a new version of this Nimitz for P3D? I have his V2 model and the wake has the same flickering as all other ship in P3D on my computer.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Hello Jens. This is only V2 I know of.

The conditions of the sim are P3D V2.5 with all hotfixes (2.5.12946.0) and the latest Nvidia drivers!

My deepest apologies to you and Daube...

Just checked to make sure my water slider was at Ultra...it was High...apparently so am I without any outside stimulants!

Again my apologies and I'll have my crow medium rare!
    i7 6700k @ 4.675 ghz | Asus Maximus VIII Formula Mother Board | 500 gig Samsung EVO 950 M.2 for OS | Crucial 500 gig SSD dedicated to P3D | 16 gigs Corsair Dominator DDR4@3200 | Corsair H115i AIO 280mm | GTX Asus Strix 1080 GPU | 4K 49" LG Monitor | Windows 10 64 bit

No need to apologize !
    And thanks a lot for providing the explanations.

I have a question however: are you using the default water waves or did you install any alternative stuff like REX ?
    The waves look fantastic in your shot. Very close to what I was getting in FSX with some pack made by Gizmo.
    Unfortunately, it seems this pack does not give such good results in P3D, and now my waves are just horrible, like very low resolution for very wide ondulations....

Rex Essential+Overdrive = Water Resolution 1024x1024
    Tropical Water = Busy Bottom
    Ocean and Inland waters are custom colors. (Plankton, Contrast etc.)

Rex Texture Direct = Set 15 Indteterminate (always experimenting).
    Wave Animation=32 Bit + DX11 Enabled

I miss Gizmos 4096x4096 for FSX DX10.

Excellent ! Thanks a lot once again

Thanks to all for trying to help out! Both FSX and P3D have become so complicated regarding optimal performance and general system modding compared to the earlier sims that it is sort of starting to take away to much time from the actual sim flying. At least for me...

I have removed the wake from most of the ships I use for carrier flying to get rid of the very ugly flickering wake effect, but that is also sort of ruining the experience when doing carrier landings as the wake is an important visual cue.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Why don't you just get rid of the 3D waves ?
    You just need to set the water quality one notch below the max (only the max setting has the 3D waves which cause the flickering, if I'm not mistaken).

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    There will never be ay fix for this
    That is a very strong statement! "Never say never" I say! Yes, the wake is 2D and the waves are 3D, but that isn't to say that a 3D wake can't be created to dynamically drape over the 3D waves, or that a particle effect can't be used (both from the hull and propellers).

It is my belief there will be a fix for this (either in a future version from Lockheed Martin or from a 3rd party) and it is just a matter of time...

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Why don't you just get rid of the 3D waves ?
    You just need to set the water quality one notch below the max (only the max setting has the 3D waves which cause the flickering, if I'm not mistaken).
    I'm currently running water detail at the medium setting and the flickering is very much there. Are you talking about another setting?

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by RockStarofRust View Post
    Rex Essential+Overdrive = Water Resolution 1024x1024
    Tropical Water = Busy Bottom
    Ocean and Inland waters are custom colors. (Plankton, Contrast etc.)

Rex Texture Direct = Set 15 Indteterminate (always experimenting).
    Where can I find the texture direct menu? (I also run rex essential+ overdrive)

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

I'm currently running water detail at the medium setting and the flickering is very much there. Are you talking about another setting?
    No, that was indeed the setting I was speaking about.
    Then it means you get a different kind of flickering than what I thought initially.
    I thought that your flickering was due to the 3D waves moving across the flat wake object... But from what you just said, this is a totally different issue :/

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    That is a very strong statement! "Never say never" I say! Yes, the wake is 2D and the waves are 3D, but that isn't to say that a 3D wake can't be created to dynamically drape over the 3D waves, or that a particle effect can't be used (both from the hull and propellers).

It is my belief there will be a fix for this (either in a future version from Lockheed Martin or from a 3rd party) and it is just a matter of time...
    I fully agree with you. Since P3D is intended to be a multi faceted simulator as seen by the inclusion of the submersibles it only makes sense that there will be improvements in the environment. I expect to see sometime in the future surface vessels reacting to the wave height. The evolution of P3D should be as fluid as the current 3d waves.

This is how the wake is looking for me... I have tried all setting in P3D. but it does not change anything about the wake.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Where can I find the texture direct menu? (I also run rex essential+ overdrive)
    Rex Texture Direct or Rex 4 is a stand alone program Jens! Whatever textures you do end up using for water, you would want to

use water textures that do not have a wave pattern.​ Different from wave animation, textures with wave patterns could be causing your wake flickering!

Thanks! Do i need an addon wave fx or is there any setting I can change?

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Thanks! Do i need an addon wave fx or is there any setting I can change?
    Out of town so slow reply!

In in the case of Nimitz V2 I believe all of the wake effects are included! Some wake effects could be hard coded into the model .mdl itself. I'm not quite sure about about setting changes.

Rex TD (Texture Direct or sometimes called Rex 4) has water some water textures without wave patterns and some with. Wave patterns in the textures may be the cause of your erratic wakes.

Sorry couldn't be more help!!!

Hi,

I have got Rex 4 and have followed all the settings posted above. The problem is still exactly the same..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Finally! I found a work around to make both 3d waves and 2d ship wakes work in P3D. I changed the "y" offset value in the fx file to 0.6 and that makes the wakes appear slightly above the 3d waves. This is not even visible when flying.

This has been mentioned before, but I did not quite figure out what values to change.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Members who have read this thread: 1