Sea Hurricane Seafire?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sea Hurricane Seafire?

Sea Hurricane Seafire?

Trying to improve my deck landing skills I'm searching for these two planes: a Sea Hurricane and a Seafire.

Any suggestions?

Cees

Hi Cees

The only bonafide Sea Hurricane I can recall was by Sky Unlimited. It was FS9/FSX but pre-SP's and if my memory serves correct.. it didn't like SP2/Acc much so got left in FS9.

As for a SeaFire.. the only 'proper' one I can remember was by AH. I'm sure it got released as freeware. I had a look at it recently but let it go back from whence it came.

Is it WWII era you're looking at for your carrier practice or would something later do? Payware.. both the VS Avenger and Dauntless are good period carrier models.. the Dauntless in particular is very slow and forgiving.. easy to trap. The Avenger should be a pig due to it's size but it isn't. Neither nose-over and the fwd view is unrestricted enough to let you see the carrier (always important)

Slightly later.. Rob Richardson's Sea Vampire (as opposed to the Venom) is an excellent trainer for jet carrier ops. Excellent low speed handling and view out make it a winner. Also from Rob's stable (and slightly later) the Gannet AEW3.. an excellent carrier model too with the same sure footed low speed handling and excellent visibility. You shouldn't miss a wire in either.. nor the two VS models above for that matter.

I'm sure there are a lot more good models out there and I probably either have them or have tried them but these 4 in particular stand out as being easy to trap due to their excellent vis out and low speed handling. Once you get used to these.. try the others.. the ones that need to have the correct fuel weight and have restricted view out

EDIT: You can always add tail hook and launch assist entries to pretty much any model you have (the JF Hurricane or RA Spit for example.. both of which have Sea Hurricane and SeaFire paints) and pretend you're in the real thing.

ATB
    DaveB

Thanks Dave! Great suggestions! I have some of the mentioned planes. The MAAMSIM Avenger, the CWDT Hellcat and the Vertigo Dauntless are present in my stable, but I really would like a Sea Hurricane and a Seafire
    I tried the AH fs2004 Hurricane , but there are no textures covering the inside of the VC and that's a pity! Otherwise it's a perfect plane! I found a version of a Seafire by A.F.Scrub that will do for now.

Cees

Cees,

Although I have never tried, but perhaps Robert Sanderson's very nice FS2004 Sea Hurricane works in FSX.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Cees,

Although I have never tried, but perhaps Robert Sanderson's very nice FS2004 Sea Hurricane works in FSX.

Cheers,
    Huub
    I searched for this one, it is gone. Nowhere to be found?

Cees

That's a thought Huub..

In the meantime Cees.. add the JF Hurricane to the list. Sadly.. it's 'Sans visible hook' but it's a stable enough model at low speed to make a good alternative. You need a couple of clicks down with the view to get the nose out of the way but on full flap.. 89kts and at default FS load.. she floats down like a baby

Seen here after a greaser on HMS Ocean wearing the lovely 7L paint by our very own Nick Bradin (available in the library)..

EDIT: no need for launch assistance either. Leave the flaps down and she takes off like a Stringbag!!
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    I searched for this one, it is gone. Nowhere to be found?

Cees
    Found it Cees.. check your PM's
    ATB
    DaveB

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

This one requires rather more finesse Cees..

ATB
    DaveB

But that is a very realistic landing for a sesfire, justlike in real life..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

LOL!

Cees

Dave, the ships you're using here, that's with AI carriers?

Cees

Yes mate. They're all shown using AICarriers.net (the non-Java version). Some of the ships are from here in the FSX Ships library or from Simviation under FSX/Misc. The vast majority are ex-CFS2 models converted to FSX (the downloads are already converted models) and they come with all fx files as necessary. The carriers are all 'wired up' and for the most part, have cats too My boats folder is currently the size of a telephone directory!

EDIT: Here's a link to AICarriers.net (scroll down the first thread - by the author - and you'll see the download link) http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...c,11293.0.html. It works in exactly the same way as the Java version (AFAIK) but uses the Microsoft net framework instead (which most of us will have anyway). If you already have Java installed.. I guess you could go for the Java version (AICarriers2) but I removed Java after an update disrupted my rig.

ATB
    DaveB
    Last edited by DaveB; July 23rd, 2015 at 05:16. Reason: Added AIC.net info

SOH-CM-2023
    Robert Sanderson's Sea Hurricane (for FS2004) is at Simviation. Go to the home page, enter "Sanderson" in
    the Search box and scroll down.

There's a few others people might want, too. He did some excellent modelling here.

The royal french navy has a seafire listed on their site. It's a portover and I don't know much about it but it looks good.

Thanks all, got it working. Enjoying myself!

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Hi Cees

The only bonafide Sea Hurricane I can recall was by Sky Unlimited. It was FS9/FSX but pre-SP's and if my memory serves correct.. it didn't like SP2/Acc much so got left in FS9.
    I recalled having the SU Hurricane package. I checked: there's no Sea Hurricane in the package. But I was surprised: it flies really well in FSX, the only flaw being the prop disc that makes scenery dissapear....... (and that alas remains a flaw in the 2.0 version, presented as fit for FSX........)

Cees

Ahh.. rgr that Cees. I know there was a '7L' paint done for it so presumed it went on a Sea Hurricane.. its been a long time Not sure if I had v2.. it was probably v1. I remember the machine guns going all the time in FSX if the gauge wasn't commented out!!

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Thanks Dave! Great suggestions! I have some of the mentioned planes. The MAAMSIM Avenger, the CWDT Hellcat and the Vertigo Dauntless are present in my stable, but I really would like a Sea Hurricane and a Seafire
    I tried the AH fs2004 Hurricane , but there are no textures covering the inside of the VC and that's a pity! Otherwise it's a perfect plane! I found a version of a Seafire by A.F.Scrub that will do for now.

Cees
    I installed the Aeroplane Heaven Hurricane and found the VC to be incomplete. There is a set of textures available which includes the missing VC items. I added them to the AH textures I wanted to use and I now have a complete Hurricane. I can't remember which texture set it was, it may have been for BE505.

Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    I installed the Aeroplane Heaven Hurricane and found the VC to be incomplete. There is a set of textures available which includes the missing VC items. I added them to the AH textures I wanted to use and I now have a complete Hurricane. I can't remember which texture set it was, it may have been for BE505.
    If you can tell me what textures I'm missing I'd be a happy camper!

Cees

I looked inside the AH texture folders. To me they seemed to have only a few textures when compared to the folder I downloaded. I added the additional texture items into the originals and eventually ended up with a complete VC. Sorry this is a bit vague but I was just experimenting. I had added the additional skin into my Hurricane installation and it was the only one with VC details so I compared and added what I thought were the missing items.

Harry,

I found the BE505. It is a standalone conversion of the AH Hurricane package. Alas

Cees
    Last edited by Cees Donker; July 24th, 2015 at 06:47.

Thanks Harry! Got it working now! Let 's see if the contactpoints need editing!

Cees

Cees, if you need the FS2004 AH seafire, I'm pretty sure I have it archived, give me a shout if you want me to stick it in the post for you.

Ah, thanks Jamie! I got everything I wanted. We've got some helpful people here at the Outhouse!
    But landing with these planes on a deck is nearly impossible, so I've got some tinkering to do!

Cees

Members who have read this thread: 1