Windows 10 - Page 10
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    So what's the MS flavor of the day

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Win10 installed on the final attempt, no problems thus far. . .all programs function as they should. In FSX, going to full screen across two monitors cause a small section of the black screen to appear on the right side of the main monitor with the remainder on the second monitor. I don't use full screen so it's no big deal for me. Thanks to all those who had constructive suggestions on what to check and where to look.

Glad to see you are up and running . I'm beginning to like Win 10 . The verdict is still out on Microsoft Edge though .

Rich
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

Not sure I've read a fix for my issue just yet. Win 10 runs very well on my rig, but FSX does not like it. If I make any change what so ever; be it weather, aircraft, settings, anything, the sim will immediately CTD.

Again, may have missed the fix; but if anybody has any insight I'd be grateful.

Is Win10 the same as Win 7 and 8 where you have click inside the directory box as the last step when adding new scenery to FSX? Or did the fix that?

My only Problem, is that the macro keys on my Corsair K90 Keyboard not working in Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Is Win10 the same as Win 7 and 8 where you have click inside the directory box as the last step when adding new scenery to FSX? Or did the fix that?
    No, that's not fixed, at least not in Steam Edition.

Blog Entries
    Going on day 3 with Win10 no problems thus far...definitely fast and all my favorite stuff plays! Happy as a clam in cold water...hmmmmmm wonder if I just jinxed myself?
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    All is well now...got kinda scary there for a little bit! Got it in December as a Christmas gift and it has been a great tablet. I quit using my old first generation Apple iPad tablet. This WinBook tab was fast before Windows 10 but it is even faster now! YEEEEEEHAWWWWW!!! It's a Winbook TW700 Tablet - Windows 8.1 with full-size USB port, IPS Display, and one year of FREE Microsoft Office 365

Ted
    OK! Glad it worked out for ya, but what happened to it, technically speaking? And what did you do to make it work as it should?

Cheers,

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    I've noticed faster loading boot times and increased performance
    Lucky you,

I have not noticed any performance improvement on my Laptop.

Boot up time is a lot longer than my original W7, which is surprising, as the Windows 8 I have on there for a while booted up very fast. And that was the only thing I liked about Windows 8.

What I don't like about Windows 10 so far is the "Unexpected Store Exception" bsod, every time the laptop goes into sleep mode, or even after a full shut down.

AMD just released a new graphics driver that I installed an hour ago. We will see if that solves the BSOD issue.

Since I am running the Windows 10 upgrade, I am wondering if doing a clean install would make a difference?
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by s.piper View Post
    Not sure I've read a fix for my issue just yet. Win 10 runs very well on my rig, but FSX does not like it. If I make any change what so ever; be it weather, aircraft, settings, anything, the sim will immediately CTD.

Is FSX installed in "C:\Program Files(x86)"?

If so, that's as much of a no-no as it was on Windows 7 and 8. T&he best course of action would be instlling it in another folder.

Just moments ago, Microsoft released it´s first win10 update, called SR1.
    There are some guys saying that it corrected the "black screens". I tried here, but no, i have "loading" black screen yet. Try it!
    That's a "no" from me, too.

SOH-CM-2023
    So far for me very little problems converting from W8.1 to W10 on my laptop, except for the time taken to d/l on my snail pace ADSL (6 hours) onto a USB for installing on wifes Laptop, ,then 4 hours to install!
    FSX & FS9 worked as before, but a couple of addons (AFSD & AAM v2.2) do not work.
    Not noticed any improvement in loading/light up time, in fact probably slower, but that might be due to updates coming through. No improvement either in FS9 or FSX as far as I can detect. My laptop though does not have a lot of scenery addons & is very basic, just used really as an independent test machine, or for taking away on holiday!
    Not going to change my tower though from 8.1 to 10, at least not yet.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    AMD just released a new graphics driver that I installed an hour ago. We will see if that solves the BSOD issue.
    Well..., that was wishful thinking
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

And just one week after its release.....along comes 'SR1'.

Welcome to the machine....

Come in here dear boy have a cigar you're gonna go far you're gonna fly high you're never gonna die...[OK, so that's "Have a Cigar" ...but it sorta fits].

... I'm just trying to figure out, why would anyone in their right mind try to switch from Win 7 64 to anything else? Especially on their FSX rig..

Just scratching my head again..

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Quote Originally Posted by fsxar177 View Post
    ... I'm just trying to figure out, why would anyone in their right mind try to switch from Win 7 64 to anything else? Especially on their FSX rig..
    - Joseph
    I don't know about anyone else but aside from some missteps initially, Win10 has shown to be just another OS. . .Looks the same, functions the same (for the most part), I don't see any great leap in speed and aside from Netflix (which was a simple fix), I haven't found a single program that hasn't worked just like it did before the upgrade. Also, I don't have an FSX Rig. . .I have a PC that happens to run a few simulators scattered on a couple different drives. . .one of them (FSX) is installed on the same drive that the OS is on. While I may sometimes seem to be not in my right mind, I'm actually pretty normal most of the time and quite happy with what I see with Win10 and how both sims are functioning.

... why would anyone in their right mind try to switch from Win 7 64 to anything else?
    Because we can? And for free? With Win7 we have nearly five years left of updates and patches, with Win X a lot longer than that. I built this rig before Win7 was released and with some luck it may outlive Win7, although possibly not me!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

- Joseph
    Because eventually it will become inevitable? Because there is such a thing as progress? Because of safety?

Don't forget that Windows 7 is already in the extended support period. In 2020 there will be no more support for it.

Just my two € cents worth.

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Is FSX installed in "C:\Program Files(x86)"?

If so, that's as much of a no-no as it was on Windows 7 and 8. T&he best course of action would be instlling it in another folder.
    It was, but after reinstalling to to the non x86 program files, the problem still persists.

Quote Originally Posted by s.piper View Post
    My FSX is also installed the same way. . .mainly because despite my best efforts it wouldn't install on a separate drive as I wanted. . .so there it sits. Anyway, it runs quite well. I have none of the problems you mention so I'm not totally sure what might be causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Because we can? And for free? With Win7 we have nearly five years left of updates and patches, with Win X a lot longer than that. I built this rig before Win7 was released and with some luck it may outlive Win7, although possibly not me!
    Nothing in this world is free.
    Check out sometime how Microsoft has been [or is] using your 'free' upgrade to 10 to torrent it to others.
    Check also exactly how many 'services' [services to whom?] are being used to data-mine your information to third party advertising.
    The polite word for the back story behind Microsoft's roll out of Win 10 is 'insidious'.

Microsoft is going to make a heck of a lot of money out of this 'freebie' and you will be paying just the same.

Downloaded the ISO: DVDs don't torrent. Cortana is shut off, as are many other useless (to me) background apps. If Microsoft want me to pay for this I've still to see the invoice and Google/Yahoo/Facebook/Amazon/eBay have been mining your data and mine for years now. Microsoft are rather late to the party and that's my tuppence ha'penny.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

as we go along here - I am seriously considering leaving my PC on Win7 64 Prem. and disconnecting it from the internet...

I can use my WinX lappie and a flash drive to D/L scenery and aircraft addons and cut my losses in half.

So far I find WinX bloated, slow, and cumbersome in a few environments - and I try to spare the headaches surrounding FSX whenever I have any choice in the matter at all

can anyone give me a good reason to change my mind and be completely absorbed by the Collective?
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Blog Entries
    I installed the Windows 10 beginning last night and finishing this AM. The install went very smoothly with no glitches, outside of the lightning squall that settled in overhead just as I reached the 90% mark on the initial re-install boot. White knuckles, but no hard crash.

Considering the complexity of my networked system with all of the peripherals connected to P3D, the install recognized everything with no glitches.

One note, when I was first attempting to download Windows 10 my number 2 (networked) box was on. This stalled the download menu. I turned off the second box, selected the upgrade icon and the menu did its job. Just a HU for anyone running networks.

First glance...P3Dv2.5 wanted to validate its' license and all of the add on bits required the same. It took about ten minutes to satisfy the various licenses.

The GTX780 is running the most current driver. Not sure how that relates to DX12, but I can say that the sim is stunning, rich and smooth. I selected Nvidia defaults and tweaked the Gamma up about two points. In P3D I maxed the sliders to find a breaking point...didn't find one. It's too early to really evaluate the performance and graphics, but the test jump from KRNO to KBIH was flawless. Soft Clouds and ASN live weather were 100% even with shadow quality set at max. The sim has never looked better.

Full screen with no borders is an affirmative. OPUS worked immediately as well as Aivla Soft EFB, which both run on the networked box.

Wacom Intuos pad fired up with no issues either. Photoshop and 3Ds Max '15 booted perfectly.

Issues with CH controllers seem to have smoothed out....that's a plus.

I'll be the first to say I was apprehensive due to previous disasters, but this OS upgrade went as well as I could expect. I'll do a bit of reading and disable the various intrusive elements that I didn't catch on the install. Same for apps.

If anything blows later...I'll bump back in
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Members who have read this thread: 3