Windows 10 - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Members +
    & that takes us back to Win X!!
    We gotta download a player to play that clip?

Flash player will do nicely!

Will we have a choice to download an Win10 ISO from Microsoft?

CK
    Flying Canada's "Left Coast"

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaKen View Post

CK
    Only IT professionals with an M$ contract I believe. I could be mistaking!

Johan

All my computers now have the "reserve your copy of Win 10" icon in the tray now. I've accepted the offer on the "experimental laptop". If I like it, I will go the same route for this laptop. The big [big] FS desktop unit will remain Win7. It's stable and I like it that way.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaKen View Post
    Googled that yesterday because I want to do a clean installation.

Apparently, you have to upgrade first and can then create an iso with the files from your disk. Probably because MS checks if you're entitled to the free upgrade before downloading.

Does anybody know about drivers? Other than nvidia, there's always about 5-6 drivers to install. Will they be part of the upgrade or will it be necessary to download them from the computer manufacturer? Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Googled that yesterday because I want to do a clean installation.

Apparently, you have to upgrade first and can then create an iso with the files from your disk. Probably because MS checks if you're entitled to the free upgrade before downloading.
    If it will work like windows8 than we will have the option to do a clean or an update install during the instalation process. I remember when i installed win8 (I had win7 home edition before), that it asked me that and i choosed a clean install. It ofered me the possibility to burn a iso too
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

I am still uncertain what to do about this. I have reserved a free copy which I will be "notified" about tomorrow. I am abroad on vacation the next day for two weeks and don't want it auto-installing while I am away and disabling FSX! I would like to preserve the option to upgrade but after things are more settled and clear on how to keep DX9 (don't use/like DX10) functional. Very happy with Windows 7 Professional otherwise.

Questions:

1. Does a Windows 10 o/s upgrade wipe clean everything - including FSX and all add-ons (yikes!) - on my system or leave it as is?
    2. If I keep the reservation, will I still be able to defer the actual install/upgrade until some time later of my choosing - and under my control - or will it auto-install overnight without my being aware of it the way my "normal" Windows Updates do?
    3. If I cancel the reservation now, can I preserve the free upgrade option for installing W 10 at some later date (non-business user; Windows 7 Professional)?

Many thanks in advance for your comments.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by rich12545 View Post
    Does anybody know about drivers? Other than nvidia, there's always about 5-6 drivers to install. Will they be part of the upgrade or will it be necessary to download them from the computer manufacturer? Inquiring minds want to know.
    My son (a programmer at Microsoft) recommended waiting a couple of months to install until manufacturers have a chance to update their drivers. I plan, like others, to install on my laptop first and, once the dust settles, upgrade my desktop.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    I am still uncertain what to do about this. I have reserved a free copy which I will be "notified" about tomorrow. I am abroad on vacation the next day for two weeks and don't want it auto-installing while I am away and disabling FSX! I would like to preserve the option to upgrade but after things are more settled and clear on how to keep DX9 (don't use/like DX10) functional. Very happy with Windows 7 Professional otherwise.

Questions:

1. Does a Windows 10 o/s upgrade wipe clean everything - including FSX and all add-ons (yikes!) - on my system or leave it as is?
    2. If I keep the reservation, will I still be able to defer the actual install/upgrade until some time later of my choosing - and under my control - or will it auto-install overnight without my being aware of it the way my "normal" Windows Updates do?
    3. If I cancel the reservation now, can I preserve the free upgrade option for installing W 10 at some later date (non-business user; Windows 7 Professional)?

Many thanks in advance for your comments.
    1. No.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes.

I know that was long-winded...but...

A dumb arse question, so sorry.

I currently have Win 7 64 bit Ultimate, so if I go for the free upgrade is the 64 bit as well?

Quote Originally Posted by noddy View Post
    A dumb arse question, so sorry.

I currently have Win 7 64 bit Ultimate, so if I go for the free upgrade is the 64 bit as well?
    You'll get the appropriate version for your system.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    My son (a programmer at Microsoft) recommended waiting a couple of months to install until manufacturers have a chance to update their drivers. I plan, like others, to install on my laptop first and, once the dust settles, upgrade my desktop.
    Yeah, that makes sense. I just have the desktop so I'll wait a bit. One would think the major companies would be using the preview of winx to make the drivers though.

It is my understanding that we have until July NEXT year to upgrade for free........ I think I'll wait and see what is going to happen with FSX before deciding...... been on the bleeding edge a few times too often
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

It's 7/29 somewhere in the world-anyone tried it yet?

Francois- You are correct about the one year..

Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    It is my understanding that we have until July NEXT year to upgrade for free........ I think I'll wait and see what is going to happen with FSX before deciding...... been on the bleeding edge a few times too often
    this was my approach as well - the only caveat is that with Winx released I don't think there will be any more Win7 or Win8 security updates....
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    ... the only caveat is that with Winx released I don't think there will be any more Win7 or Win8 security updates....
    Horsefeathers. Windows 7 will be supported for another five years: until January 2020 in fact, and Win8 until January 2023.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

There could be some things removed when overlaying win 10 on your system (such as parts of FSX) so I will do a backup using windows system image backup to a usb drive. I am not sure how, what and where to get the proper usb drive so does anyone have any experience with them?

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Horsefeathers. Windows 7 will be supported for another five years: until January 2020 in fact, and Win8 until January 2023.
    maybe - but you and I and the rest of the world know they are going to be pretty busy keeping WinX'ers happy once this new OS rolls out - not too far fetched
    to believe updates for Win7 and 8 will be back burner at best...

do horses with feathers taste like chicken?
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    There could be some things removed when overlaying win 10 on your system (such as parts of FSX) so I will do a backup using windows system image backup to a usb drive. I am not sure how, what and where to get the proper usb drive so does anyone have any experience with them?
    didn't happen to my laptop copy of FSX:SE - Win10beta rolled right into it with no glitches...but I do plan on doing a fresh install of FSX after I update this PC
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    maybe - but you and I and the rest of the world know they are going to be pretty busy keeping WinX'ers happy once this new OS rolls out - not too far fetched
    to believe updates for Win7 and 8 will be back burner at best...

do horses with feathers taste like chicken?
    Yer darn tootin ...considering one 10 update has already crashed explorer.exe [good thing they're forced on you - since revised with a release which enables actual shock-horror - CHOICE].
    The intention of the 'free' upgrade is to get as many people as possible onto 10 as quickly as possible...so that ongoing support for older OS's can tail off sooner rather than later. It's a sensible ploy on the part of MS.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Atm, Las Vegas Pacific time my Computer is downloading the W10 update and lining up in que for a slot just after midnight to begin install upgrade process. The Process began for me 4:58pm according to the time stamp.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Atm, Las Vegas Pacific time my Computer is downloading the W10 update and lining up in que for a slot just after midnight to begin install upgrade process. The Process began for me 4:58pm according to the time stamp.
    Nothing here, and I'm two hours ahead of you. Aren't you supposed to be able to approve the actual installation after the download?

Members who have read this thread: 3