Windows 10 - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

According to everything i have found, the problems lay in Directx 12 itself. Seems to be causing problems with the flight sims. I will continue to use Windows 10 because my computers and there setups aren't just for flight sims. I use these machines for other things as well.

Until Directx issues are solved i will run in Windows mode. I will get use to those menus up there. Graphics are still just as good.
    "Thats some of the best flying I have ever seen, upto the point that your dead, Never ever leave your wingman!"......Jester, Top Gun

This has been discussed before. W10 is and will only be a platform for other things to make money with. Like cloud based storage service or apps sold through the store.

We are so ignorant of modern day society. I Guess MS has done something that no government agency could ever hope to do, the largest private information gathering system the world has ever seeing

MS$ motives,

catch there is always a catch

http://thenextweb.co...07/29/wind-nos/
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

Went for the plunge today.

Installation was smooth. Was done within an hour, including downloading updates (and drivers) during installation.
    Chose to go for a clean slate (no programs and settings) and ended up with a 13 GB folder for Win 10. Not bad!
    Also switched off anything I don't need, including all the settings for sending usage data to MS.

My shell replacement of choice, BBLean, runs, but does not display wallpapers. Will take this to the dev.

Reinstalling Steam and adding the libraries from other drives (including FSXSE) went without a hitch.

FSXSE suffers from the black menu screen problem (when in full screen) though. According to the Steam forums, this is a rather common bug in W10.
    Might have something to do with a missing dependency or erroneously installed video card driver.

I like W10 so far. It doesn't matter if some programs won't run just yet, it really looks like a keeper..

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Not a problem Bjoern, Samsung have just added a 2TB drive to the 850Evo SSD line.
    Are you gonna buy me one?

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    17.7GB.

Nick.
    Thanks. Ultimately, concern was ultimately unfounded though (see above).

Quote Originally Posted by mjrhealth View Post
    We are so ignorant of modern day society. I Guess MS has done something that no government agency could ever hope to do, the largest private information gathering system the world has ever seeing

MS$ motives,

Anyone spending ten minutes within the settings menu will be able to find such items (and hopefully turn them off). This is not just particular to MS and Win 10, but any other tool incorporating the gathering of usage statistics. Or any social network like Facebook or LinkedIn. Or Google.

The basic equation is that services cost money. Either you pay for them directly or let others pay for them by shoving targeted advertisements in your face.
    This is acceptable (I am getting something for free in return) as long as you're free to opt out at any time or reduce said gathered data to an anonymized minimum.
    And it should be every user's primary task to find and turn off such settings after subscribing to a new service (OS or social or similar), just like you constantly need to beware of tricksters or suspicious fine print in the real world.

Btw: The world champion in unwarranted data gathering without any chance for resistance has been exposed a few years ago. It wasn't an international, private company.

Found the culprit for the black screen when not in windowed mode. It's Win 10's Desktop Window Manager.

There is a workaround, but it only works when using a window manager other than Win10's (like Blackbox), otherwise you will end up with no choice but to hard reboot your PC.
    Trust me when I say that the hassle simply isn't worth it. Keep FSX windowed until there's an official or better fix and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Bjoern; July 31st, 2015 at 18:18.

While you're turning off 'unwanted' features of the Win 10 'update' you might also want to turn off the quaint trick that sees MS using YOUR upload bandwidth to torrent the download/install process for others.

Neat trick...considering they don't actually make a point of seeking your permission first....

...oh, that's right....**** the EULA ...and be the first one on your block to do so...

The Orbx "Todo" files was the reason I could not install as well. Now typing from Windows 10.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/top...nent/?p=911634

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

A small tip for people who're having performance issues:

- open up the command prompt
    - type "winsat formal" and hit enter.
    - let it run and when it is finished reboot.

Winsat is a built in assessment and optimization tool. Just had it run on my laptop and it works quite a bit better now. Winsat also forces your SSD to be recognized as such and will permit you to optimize the disk without resorting to defrag which you should never do with an SSD.

Hope this helps!

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by mjrhealth View Post

MS$ motives,

If you go to settings and select privacy, you will be able to disable all of those nasties. Another thing that helps is installing Win10 with a local account instead of a Microsoft account.

Windows 10 is the future people. There is no way around it. Support for windows 7 will end in 2020 and Windows 8.1 in 2023.

We're entering the era of "Windows as a service".

To me personally, these are hugely interesting times!

Johan

Here are a few usefull links on tweaking the new Windows:

http://www.windowscentral.com/5-sett...more-enjoyable
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-quick...10-experience/

All things that used to be present in 7 and XP are still there, just in other places. And 10 offers a lot of other possibilities as well.

Some of you already know that I'm not a big fan of M$ as a firm, but this new OS is very promising indeed. There are still some things that need to be sorted out, but look at it as a new toy!

Johan

Interesting no problems installing it on 2 laptops, haven't done the tower yet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    A small tip for people who're having performance issues:

- open up the command prompt
    - type "winsat formal" and hit enter.
    - let it run and when it is finished reboot.

Winsat is a built in assessment and optimization tool. Just had it run on my laptop and it works quite a bit better now. Winsat also forces your SSD to be recognized as such and will permit you to optimize the disk without resorting to defrag which you should never do with an SSD.

Hope this helps!

Johan
    Thanks Johan,
    That's a great tip, I was just about to give up on Windows 10, it's been so slow to do almost everything.

Ian

Another thing.

Just visited a friend of mine who had the update done. He also was suffering from very very poor performance. and loads of diskspace that was occupied.

I opened up his windows explorer, C: drive and found that there were two windows folders. One named windows.old and another windows pure and simple.

You can safely remove the windows.old folder AFTER having done the winsat formal command and reboot.

This will vastly improve your boot up time.

People who're having problems, feel free to pm me. Last week I was given some pretty elaborate briefings about windows 10 by Microsoft at work. We will migrate all our PC's to windows 10 as soon as our older model PC's have been phased out.

Johan

EDIT: please take into account the time difference. I live in Belgium
    EDIT2: renew your drivers and DirectX!
    Last edited by Dumonceau; August 1st, 2015 at 08:46. Reason: timezone, driver issues

You can safely remove the windows.old folder AFTER having done the winsat formal command and reboot.
    Won't that kill any possibility to revert back to your previous Win version?

cheers,
    Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Street View Post
    Won't that kill any possibility to revert back to your previous Win version?

cheers,
    Lane
    Yes it will. But the whole thing is that people who stay with older versions of Windows will get screwed very very soon if they don't move over.

Johan

FSX and 3rd party add one seem to load faster for me. Frame rates in game about same.
    Be yourself by yourself, stay away from me

Pantera

WIN 10 is not inherently bad as Win 8 is! Its an improvement! HOWEVER AS A gamer,ONE WHO FLYS desk top simulators..BE IT FS 9 OR FSX I must be aware of WIN 10 impact on them..Thats it?? Nothing else matters..WILL IT ACCOMMODATE our world here?..free of Grief,or being required to be a SUPER GEEK??..I went thru the Drill,and so far not impressed.Installed ,and uninstalled....lost FS9 but got it back on Win 7 again..will not attempt any FSX..be it Steam or Disk...Hoping we get clear Official instructions as to the effect of WIN 10 in our world....Microsoft I feel does not factor in FLIGHTSIMING,...As witnessed with "FLIGHT"...CAVEAT EMPTOR

Quote Originally Posted by napacon View Post
    WIN 10 is not inherently bad as Win 8 is! Its an improvement! HOWEVER AS A gamer,ONE WHO FLYS desk top simulators..BE IT FS 9 OR FSX I must be aware of WIN 10 impact on them..Thats it?? Nothing else matters..WILL IT ACCOMMODATE our world here?..free of Grief,or being required to be a SUPER GEEK??..I went thru the Drill,and so far not impressed.Installed ,and uninstalled....lost FS9 but got it back on Win 7 again..will not attempt any FSX..be it Steam or Disk...Hoping we get clear Official instructions as to the effect of WIN 10 in our world....Microsoft I feel does not factor in FLIGHTSIMING,...As witnessed with "FLIGHT"...CAVEAT EMPTOR
    Napacon, I'll let you know as soon as I have the image from work. I don't do upgrades, I only do clean installs. And I no longer run FSX. I moved over to the only evolving flightsim available. It is called Prepar3D.

But, please let me repeat myself: Windows 10 is the only way forward. Very soon, older versions of Windows will become a menace.

The world evolves and there is very little we can do about it.

Johan

Johan,
    I installed W10 on my new surface pro 3
    When I tried to run "winsat formal" it just blinked and came right back to the CMD prompt
    Is it okay to delete the window.old folder?

It is taking up 23.1 GB on my hard drive!
    Thanks
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Here is a link that will step you thru deleting the Windows.old Folder:
    I got rid of 23 GB

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Rick

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Quote Originally Posted by papab View Post
    Johan,
    I installed W10 on my new surface pro 3
    When I tried to run "winsat formal" it just blinked and came right back to the CMD prompt
    Is it okay to delete the window.old folder?

It is taking up 23.1 GB on my hard drive!
    Thanks
    Rick
    Do you have UAC running? That is probably the problem!

And thanks for that link of tenforums. Should have thought to go there!

Johan

Amusing reading the replies from those who have been exploring the bleeding edge: some happily, others battered and bloodstained. So do I make the jump, or not? Decisions, decisions. Certainly there's no rush...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Amusing reading the replies from those who have been exploring the bleeding edge: some happily, others battered and bloodstained. So do I make the jump, or not? Decisions, decisions. Certainly there's no rush...
    You have a whole year to decide Tom. And in that period the updates and fixes will be here to alleviate most problems!

Johan

UAC was set to never
    No problem-window.old folder is gone!
    Rick
    Last edited by papab; August 1st, 2015 at 14:50.

Napacon, I'll let you know as soon as I have the image from work. I don't do upgrades, I only do clean installs. And I no longer run FSX. I moved over to the only evolving flightsim available. It is called Prepar3D.

But, please let me repeat myself: Windows 10 is the only way forward. Very soon, older versions of Windows will become a menace.

The world evolves and there is very little we can do about it.

Johan
    ...Hi Johan ..Thnx much...I see in the STEAM FSX they have some clear interpretations of using FSX STEAM with WIN 10....Users can find it in their start up....I agree WIN 10 OK ...I like it,can customize it..BUT,and a BIG BUT,it can give many problems..To Flight Sim Users,as witnessed by many comments..CIAO My Friend

Members who have read this thread: 3