Windows 10 - Page 9
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

fsx se on windows 10

Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

I've been waiting for something to happen in the task bar with the Win10 Update but every time I check it just says that they're validating my PC for the upgrade. . .really. . .for 2 months or more? Anyway, while I was just talking to someone on my phone I happened to click on Windows Update and low & behold I find that every day since the 29th of July, Win10 has attempted to install and failed each time. Gives me an error code of "80240020" for which I can find no explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I've been waiting for something to happen in the task bar with the Win10 Update but every time I check it just says that they're validating my PC for the upgrade. . .really. . .for 2 months or more? Anyway, while I was just talking to someone on my phone I happened to click on Windows Update and low & behold I find that every day since the 29th of July, Win10 has attempted to install and failed each time. Gives me an error code of "80240020" for which I can find no explanation.
    First hit I found....
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910341

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Outdated page. . .doesn't reference the newer OS's. I found what I need for now.

Outdated page. . .doesn't reference the newer OS's. I found what I need for now.
    Wouldn't matter...same error code - same error.
    Fix might be different, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    . . . . . .Fix might be different, of course. . .
    Yep, exactly.

Win 10 has downloaded and is preparing for installation.

Win 10 has downloaded and is preparing for installation.
    ....and sadly, Falcon409 was never heard from again....

Quote Originally Posted by griphos View Post
    Winsat, or the Windows System Assessment Tool, just reads your hardware and gives it a score, the WEI score, or Windows Experience Index. You can do the same thing in the Control Panel. It doesn't make any changes. so your system is running the same after you run that.
    Darned, and here I thought I was special, because I ran the command, and did not experience any difference.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

The Upgrade continued to the point where it was "Updating the PC" and got to 24% then almost immediately went to 98% then rebooted and I was back in Win7. Checked Windows Update and the Win10 update had failed with a different error message this time. I don't intend to chase error messages just to get an upgrade. One more try and if that fails I'll be very content to stay with Win7. I have no patience for this sort of crap.

Falcon409,
    Go here and create your own download:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Just click which version you have and it will do its thing and ask if you want to upgrade this computer,yes

Took about 1/2 hour for my surface pro 3
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Quote Originally Posted by papab View Post
    Falcon409,
    Go here and create your own download:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Just click which version you have and it will do its thing and ask if you want to upgrade this computer,yes

Took about 1/2 hour for my surface pro 3
    Rick
    Thanks Rick, but I'm done with Win10. I don't intend to chase error messages and there's no guarantee that even if I try this method I won't get yet another error. I've tried it 3 different times now and each attempted only ends in Win 7 being restored and another error code different from the others. . .a code that apparently can be any number of different problems and not worth the trouble. I'll stick with Win7 which has been problem free.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Thanks Rick, but I'm done with Win10. I don't intend to chase error messages and there's no guarantee that even if I try this method I won't get yet another error. I've tried it 3 different times now and each attempted only ends in Win 7 being restored and another error code different from the others. . .a code that apparently can be any number of different problems and not worth the trouble. I'll stick with Win7 which has been problem free.
    Falcon, by chance do you have any Orbx Products installed??
    http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/top...-4#entry911634 and SOH this thread Post 157 by Montie
    That TODO file caused my upgrade to fail numerous times and reset back to W8.1. However that post at Orbx solved it and my upgrade went bingo.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Tried win10 on the tower last night and went without a hicip

Over the 2 laptops and tower I've noticed faster loading boot times and increased performance

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Falcon, by chance do you have any Orbx Products installed??
    http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/top...-4#entry911634 and SOH this thread Post 157 by Montie
    That TODO file caused my upgrade to fail numerous times and reset back to W8.1. However that post at Orbx solved it and my upgrade went bingo.

Falcon , I too tried the above and it worked without a hitch . Apparently the TODO was empty and the installer did not like that. I too had numerous install attempts . I really like Win 10 . Trying to learn it as I go along . No problem with P3D v2.5 . Microsoft Edge is certainly a big improvement over IE 10 or 11 .

Rich
    Last edited by Crusader; August 5th, 2015 at 04:36.
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

My Update error log file doesn't reference the TODO file (whatever that is, as my Orbx folder doesn't have anything like that). Below are two lines from the error log:

CDiagnosticsHelper::SetSQMDatapoint: Attempting to set a datapoint in an invalid SQM session

2015-08-05 01:50:38, Error SP CSetupPlatform::ResurrectNewSystem: Failure: Win32Exception: \\?\C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\NewSystem.dat: The system cannot find the file specified. [0x00000002] __cdecl UnBCL::FileStream::FileStream(const class UnBCL::String *,enum UnBCL::FileMode,enum UnBCL::FileAccess,enum UnBCL::FileShare,unsigned long)[gle=0x00000002]

Well will wonders never cease? Finally was notified Windows 10 was ready to install at 2:30 this morning. I bit the bullet and let 'er rip. Guess what? Clean as a whistle install. The only thing amiss so far is getting my favorites list into the new browser. FSX is running just fine. Now I can get serious about installing the remaining zillion bits on my new box.
    Racartron
    it means something, but I just can't remember what

My Update error log file doesn't reference the TODO file (whatever that is, as my Orbx folder doesn't have anything like that). Below are two lines from the error log:

CDiagnosticsHelper::SetSQMDatapoint: Attempting to set a datapoint in an invalid SQM session

2015-08-05 01:50:38, Error SP CSetupPlatform::ResurrectNewSystem: Failure: Win32Exception: \\?\C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\NewSystem.dat: The system cannot find the file specified. [0x00000002] __cdecl UnBCL::FileStream::FileStream(const class UnBCL::String *,enum UnBCL::FileMode,enum UnBCL::FileAccess,enum UnBCL::FileShare,unsigned long)[gle=0x00000002]
    My error log had all of that stuff too but did not make reference to TODO but when I checked here : C:\Users\"you user name"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Orbx , there it was . TODO folder(Which was empty) I deleted the folder-rebooted then the installation went smooth . I don't have a clue why . I wish you luck Ed . I am liking Win 10 the more I fool around with it .

Rich
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    My error log had all of that stuff too but did not make reference to TODO but when I checked here : C:\Users\"you user name"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Orbx , there it was . TODO folder(Which was empty) I deleted the folder-rebooted then the installation went smooth . I don't have a clue why . I wish you luck Ed . I am liking Win 10 the more I fool around with it .

Rich
    Interesting. Well, if I'm going to attempt another it'll have to wait now. I cancelled the subscription to the Update and as soon as I did that the hidden $Windows~ folder was emptied. Until all of the necessary files and folders are rebuilt I won't be messing with it.

I'm waiting until after Labor Day and test the winds on the Win 10 update then. No big hurry on it. Win 8.1 isn't broke.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    ... Win 8.1 isn't broke.
    Must resist. Must resist. Must...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SOH-CM-2023
    On my 3rd attempt I managed to download W10 (WX?) onto a USB stick so that I can load my laptop at leisure & also load to my wife's laptop. It took 6 hours to d/l on my snail ADSL!
    I shall not be doing my tower though as its a W8.1 Enterprise, & I'm quite happy at the moment to leave it as is.
    If you see blue smoke emanating from my corner of the globe you will know the reason!
    Keith

Just moments ago, Microsoft released it´s first win10 update, called SR1.
    There are some guys saying that it corrected the "black screens". I tried here, but no, i have "loading" black screen yet. Try it!

Just go to your windows update and force a verifcation.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Must resist. Must resist. Must...
    ROFLMFAO!!!

Don't resist! Windows 8.x in whatever flavour was broke from day one!

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    ROFLMFAO!!!

Don't resist! Windows 8.x in whatever flavour was broke from day one!

Johan
    .....no doubt about it...WIN-10 is great..Easy Install,Custom Install,Like it...BUT,and its a big BUT..For Many in the World Of FLIGHT SIMMING??.GAMEING??..From FS9 to FSX Disk and Steam...one can get a WIN 10 induced CONNIPTIONS...Does Microsoft Understand there are "WE" and are here ??..or Are "WE" got sent to the Dump like FS9 , FSX and FLIGHT..To Recover my Extensive and historical Bill lyons FS9, and to get no problems with FSX Disk and Steam On Two Computers..I DELETED WIN 10..and the world is good again..WIN 7 serves me well.....will Retreat now..wait,and hunker down And See What happens with Intelligent Information.which may come!.Will Not play CP GEEK!!..Just want to go FLYING..IF IT AIN'T BROKE LEAVE IT BE!!

Members who have read this thread: 3