Windows 10 - Page 8
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by papab View Post
    UAC was set to never
    No problem-window.old folder I gone!
    Rick
    I have my UAC set the same way, but it wont delete it lol.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    I have my UAC set the same way, but it wont delete it lol.

See this link to uninstall windows.old folder

Plus click on the forum tab-a lot of great stuff......
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Some more findings:

1. Get a proper anti virus program. Windows Defender might be okay as basic protection, but it took booting a full FSX install (user aircraft, tons of AI, some sceneries) to ridiculous lengths because its real time scanning algorithm is rather inefficient. After installing my standard Antivirus program (Avira Free), FSX now boots about as fast as on Windows 7.

2. The solution for FSX' full screen issues is running it in windowed borderless mode. Windowed borderless, as far as I know, expands the application window so that the borders are off-screen. There are several tools to do this; all freeware.

1. https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderles...leases/tag/8.2
    2. http://westechsolutions.net/sites/Wi...essGaming/home
    3. This one is in the Avsim library

I've only tested #1 and #3 and I found the latter to be the better option.

Advantages of the windowed borderless mode:
    - Alt+Tab to other windows is fully supported. No more going into windowed mode before being able to do stuff in other tools or folders.
    - An easy solution to the DWM problem
    - Tools to achieve this are lightweight and free
    - Gauge tooltips will work in DX10 mode

Disadvantage:
    - You have to set ForceWindowedVSync=1 in the fsx.cfg to get VSync
    - No support for the "1/2 Refresh Rate" tweak from NVidia Inspector. It's FSX' standard VSync behaviour in FSX, which means 60 Hz and lower all the way.
    - Framerate might be very slightly lower in windowed mode

Anti-Aliasing and anisotropic filtering modes set in NVidia Inspector are retained in windowed mode.

Is the full screen issue present for everyone, by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    A small tip for people who're having performance issues:

- open up the command prompt
    - type "winsat formal" and hit enter.
    - let it run and when it is finished reboot.

Winsat is a built in assessment and optimization tool. Just had it run on my laptop and it works quite a bit better now. Winsat also forces your SSD to be recognized as such and will permit you to optimize the disk without resorting to defrag which you should never do with an SSD.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks, Johan! Exactly what could help remedy the ridiculous boot time of my desktop's W10 installation.
    (Everything is find and dandy on the laptop that I've just installed it on, though. Talk about weird.)

A small note about SSDs: From what I have read, the disk optimization feature for them in W10 only invokes TRIM, which is perfectly fine SSDs.

Another thing.

Just visited a friend of mine who had the update done. He also was suffering from very very poor performance. and loads of diskspace that was occupied.

I opened up his windows explorer, C: drive and found that there were two windows folders. One named windows.old and another windows pure and simple.

You can safely remove the windows.old folder AFTER having done the winsat formal command and reboot.
    I don't know if Disk Cleanup actively scans for the presence of such a folder, but I recommend not deleting it via File Explorer. Let the tool do it for you and trim away some other bloat in the process-
    (I gained about 3 GB by deleting windows.old, btw.)

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Amusing reading the replies from those who have been exploring the bleeding edge: some happily, others battered and bloodstained. So do I make the jump, or not? Decisions, decisions. Certainly there's no rush...
    If you have another desktop PC or laptop handy for the worst case scenario and don't have much clutter that has to be sorted and backed up on your system partition, go for it!

This is garbage. Even if I uncheck Windows 10 in the list of optional updates, it begins downloading it when I try to install other updates. I even went back to the W10 app and cancelled my reservation, no luck. I guess this is their way of making sure everyone uses 10. Ugh.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I should have known. After a full day of pulling my hair out, and don't have that much, I'm at a standstill.

i have a very weak wifi signal here and I have to log onto the park system to get anything. After downloading the upgrade, the install started. While updating to the new os, the computer resets more than once wiping out my internet connection. The only way to get it back is to log on again from windows which i can't do.

is it right that during the install, windows uses the Internet? If it does, what can a person do that has a weak or no internet to upgrade?

inquiring minds want to know.

bob

Upgraded both my tablet (was Win8.1) and desktop (win7) without any hassle. Every prog I've tried so far seems to work fine.
    No issues with P3d. FSX works in both windowed and full screen in DX10 mode, not tried dx9. I did run the DX web installer first though.
    VRS TacPack & Superbug required re-authorizing, and I expect there will be others as I go along.
    Impressions so far are "it's OK", some bits I like, others not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    I should have known. After a full day of pulling my hair out, and don't have that much, I'm at a standstill.

i have a very weak wifi signal here and I have to log onto the park system to get anything. After downloading the upgrade, the install started. While updating to the new os, the computer resets more than once wiping out my internet connection. The only way to get it back is to log on again from windows which i can't do.

is it right that during the install, windows uses the Internet? If it does, what can a person do that has a weak or no internet to upgrade?

inquiring minds want to know.

bob
    Bob,

Take a look at this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

You'll be able to create your own installation media.

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Is the full screen issue present for everyone, by the way?
    Amazingly, full screen (FSX-MS, DX9) works on my antique GTX 260, using the OS-supplied NVidia driver. No idea why and how, but it sure does.

(NOTE: This is after an update of the existing Win 7, not a complete format/reinstall.).
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Installed Win10 on my old Dell T5500 with Nvidia Quadro Fx1800. FSX and FS9 works just fine in full screen mode. No problems encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by Penz View Post
    Amazingly, full screen (FSX-MS, DX9) works on my antique GTX 260, using the OS-supplied NVidia driver. No idea why and how, but it sure does.

(NOTE: This is after an update of the existing Win 7, not a complete format/reinstall.).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wim View Post
    Installed Win10 on my old Dell T5500 with Nvidia Quadro Fx1800. FSX and FS9 works just fine in full screen mode. No problems encountered.
    Including loading bar and menus? If this is the case, it's mildly disconcerting.

I suspect that there are some bits from Windows 7 carried over into 10 during an upgrade, including some .dll files or so.

To be sure, I have installed every VC++ runtime between here and Tucson as well as .NET framework 3 after a clean install of 10, but those weren't the culprits. Hmmmm...

Including loading bar and menus? If this is the case, it's mildly disconcerting.

I suspect that there are some bits from Windows 7 carried over into 10 during an upgrade, including some .dll files or so.

To be sure, I have installed every VC++ runtime between here and Tucson as well as .NET framework 3 after a clean install of 10, but those weren't the culprits. Hmmmm...
    I'll have to revise my previously enthusiastic post; FSX full screen does not work correctly - I do indeed get loading bar and menus issues.

Sorry.
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Code:
    winsat formal
    This is either a very good placebo or it really did help. I'm drunk and I can't really remember the exact time at which I ran it, but the event logs show a boot time decrease from 48 seconds to 33 seconds somewhere in that time frame. Could also be Win 10s boot optimization routines at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Penz View Post
    I'll have to revise my previously enthusiastic post; FSX full screen does not work correctly - I do indeed get loading bar and menus issues.

Sorry.
    That's totally okay, Penz. It only confirms my findings and the implication that this is a global issue.
    Last edited by Bjoern; August 2nd, 2015 at 17:40.

The concept of what 'windows' actually means in....Windows was lost [by Microsoft] with the release of Win8 .... so much so that Stardock made a tidy profit releasing software to 'cure' MS's idiocy....since backstepped [a bit] by MS with the release of 8.1.
    10 is a further admission they-got-it-wrong however outside assistance is probably still going to be needed just to get to expectations of functionality users were comfortable with in Windows 7 and all previous.

The specific addon was 'Modernmix' which restored the capacity to display more than 1 [or 2] windows on a screen at any one time - something lost with 8 in an attempt to 'be like' a touch-screen mobile phone interface.

If Win 10 fails to manage game-related full-screen modes currently it's safe to expect one of 2 things will happen.....either MS will pull it's collective head out of its bum and FIX IT, or Stardock will come to the rescue yet again...;p

Note: The 33 seconds boot time was with "Fast Boot" disabled. I've reenabled it and the PC now start up in a negilible amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    The concept of what 'windows' actually means in....Windows was lost [by Microsoft] with the release of Win8 .... so much so that Stardock made a tidy profit releasing software to 'cure' MS's idiocy....since backstepped [a bit] by MS with the release of 8.1.
    10 is a further admission they-got-it-wrong however outside assistance is probably still going to be needed just to get to expectations of functionality users were comfortable with in Windows 7 and all previous.

The specific addon was 'Modernmix' which restored the capacity to display more than 1 [or 2] windows on a screen at any one time - something lost with 8 in an attempt to 'be like' a touch-screen mobile phone interface.

If Win 10 fails to manage game-related full-screen modes currently it's safe to expect one of 2 things will happen.....either MS will pull it's collective head out of its bum and FIX IT, or Stardock will come to the rescue yet again...;p
    I've upgraded a laptop last night from XP to 8.1 and from 8.1 to 10. The time spent with 8's atrocious interface was at a minimum. Seriously, I couldn't even find the Control Panel! Wiondows 8.1 is the F-101 among operating systems!

windows 10 is running great with fsx se no probs at all no crashing
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus N210MS View Post
    windows 10 is running great with fsx se no probs at all no crashing
    I'm gonna have to agree with Cirrus. I'm running an old OC'd 775 QX9650 with a GTX 285 and 4GB of Viper ram. I replaced Windows 7 (apprehensively in light of what I have seen). I did erase my old Windows 7 files after extracting what I wanted and it runs my apps and games without a flaw in full Windows mode. It is fast and I just love to be able to talk to my PC without a special program being loaded. LOL! I'm not too nutty over EDGE yet. I felt so good about it that I checked whether WIN 10 would handle my tablet and it gave me the green light then proceeded to download Win 10 on my Windows 8.1 tablet and all hell broke loose! Working on it...
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Some shots of my "naked" sims so far in Win10 Pro:

P3D:

FSX:

Will begin the painfull process of instalation of tons of addons this week. Nice that i´m off duty!
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    I'm gonna have to agree with Cirrus. I'm running an old OC'd 775 QX9650 with a GTX 285 and 4GB of Viper ram. I replaced Windows 7 (apprehensively in light of what I have seen). I did erase my old Windows 7 files after extracting what I wanted and it runs my apps and games without a flaw in full Windows mode. It is fast and I just love to be able to talk to my PC without a special program being loaded. LOL! I'm not too nutty over EDGE yet. I felt so good about it that I checked whether WIN 10 would handle my tablet and it gave me the green light then proceeded to download Win 10 on my Windows 8.1 tablet and all hell broke loose! Working on it...
    Ted
    Hi Ted,

What happened to the tablet, and what tablet do you have?

Cheers,

Johan

Code:
    winsat formal
    This is either a very good placebo or it really did help. I'm drunk and I can't really remember the exact time at which I ran it, but the event logs show a boot time decrease from 48 seconds to 33 seconds somewhere in that time frame. Could also be Win 10s boot optimization routines at work.
    It does indeed work. I got it from a Microsoft PFE (a dedicated M$ tech) who advised us about Win10. (she's also an incredibly sexy girl, but that is irrelevant)

In terms of optimization, windows 10 really is a huge step forward.

And best of all, today I laid my mits on a fresh copy of Windows 10 professional 64 bit. I'm going to image my gaming rig today so that I can move over coming weekend. I'm very excited about this! The added bonus is that I'll be able to do a fresh, clean and crispy install.

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    I'm not too nutty over EDGE yet. Ted
    The Edge was something that took a little while for me to catch on too. Once I found where all the items I used for browsing were tucked away, I'm sold.
    It's really a slick improvement. :-)

FAC

Blog Entries
    Hi Ted,

What happened to the tablet, and what tablet do you have?

Cheers,

Johan
    All is well now...got kinda scary there for a little bit! Got it in December as a Christmas gift and it has been a great tablet. I quit using my old first generation Apple iPad tablet. This WinBook tab was fast before Windows 10 but it is even faster now! YEEEEEEHAWWWWW!!! It's a Winbook TW700 Tablet - Windows 8.1 with full-size USB port, IPS Display, and one year of FREE Microsoft Office 365

Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

It does indeed work. I got it from a Microsoft PFE (a dedicated M$ tech) who advised us about Win10. (she's also an incredibly sexy girl, but that is irrelevant)
    If it was irrelevant, you would not have mentioned it.

It does make sense if Windows uses different internal settings for different hardware capabilities, but it begs the question why WinSAT is not done by default anymore. Or why one has to do it to optimize stuff.

In terms of optimization, windows 10 really is a huge step forward.
    Yes, it really optimized breaking compatibility of programs. (SCNR)

Simply Awesome, Microsoft hit a homerun with 10

Winsat, or the Windows System Assessment Tool, just reads your hardware and gives it a score, the WEI score, or Windows Experience Index. You can do the same thing in the Control Panel. It doesn't make any changes. so your system is running the same after you run that.

Members who have read this thread: 3