working carrier

Thread: working carrier

working carrier

Is there a simple and working WW2 carrier for this sim? I tried a few but the boat is not showing and I'm in the water!

Cees

Blog Entries
    There are many WW2 era carriers available. Yanco's boats, Flying Stations Victorious, etc.

Maybe let us know

1. Have you got other carriers working in FSX, and if so, how? Hopefully using AI Carriers - the easiest way to do so.

2. What carrier are you trying to get to work?

If using AI Carriers, it's a simple menu driven interface, you'll know immediately whether your boat is properly loaded in the sim (it will appear on a list of available carriers) and you can "spawn" that boat any where, incl right where you are in the sim.

All these questions and more You've come to the right place for help Cees

ATB
    DaveB

I tried the early Victorious from Flying Stations. I tried it in the Steam Edition, no flights show up. I tried it in the normal installation: the flights show up, but the boat doesn't! :-)

Cees

I've heard great things about Yanco's ships....Where can you find them?

The early Victorious should have a couple of flights loaded for the Cessna 172. Have you done anything to that a/c to stop it showing up? Apart from that delta and Dave are the people to ask.

The Yanco USN and IJN Coral Sea and Midway packs are at Simviation.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Hmm.. an obvious question but is Victorious1940 present in your boats folder Cees? Could be wrong but I think that's the one that came with flights.

EDIT: A second thought.. is the traffic file for it in Scenery/World/Scenery? I have trafficVic.bgl lurking in there so I presume that's the one.

ATB
    DaveB

Cees..

I've just had a look at Victorious '40 and it appears to be ok. I've not tried the flights (didn't load them) but if the traffic file is in your scenery/world/scenery.. go to either Kirkwall and fly due SW or go to Flotta (X6FL) and fly due NE and you'll see Victorious '40 in between the two.
    A word of caution.. make sure you set the time quite a bit before her departure time (1200GMT Monday). A bug in FSX ship traffic can make ships either disappear or explode and disappear if you turn up just a min or so before. This also happens with AICarriers sometimes.. the pyrotechnic bit!!

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Cees..

I've just had a look at Victorious '40 and it appears to be ok. I've not tried the flights (didn't load them) but if the traffic file is in your scenery/world/scenery.. go to either Kirkwall and fly due SW or go to Flotta (X6FL) and fly due NE and you'll see Victorious '40 in between the two.
    A word of caution.. make sure you set the time quite a bit before her departure time (1200GMT Monday). A bug in FSX ship traffic can make ships either disappear or explode and disappear if you turn up just a min or so before. This also happens with AICarriers sometimes.. the pyrotechnic bit!!

ATB
    DaveB
    It was all there, only the flight files were missing. Copied these and it's working. Gotta improve my landing somewhat, I keep ending with my nose on the deck!

Cees

To add your own flights, swap a/c and save the flight, then edit it so that "Start on ground=FALSE" so you don't materialise in the water behind the ship. That is from memory, but it's something like that!

Gotta improve my landing somewhat, I keep ending with my nose on the deck!
    hahahaha.. this happens a lot Cees and is caused by any number of things. Sometimes.. 'carrier aircraft' aren't as 'carrier efficient' as we'd expect (contact points out and tailhook position not right). On other occasions.. weight and speed on approach (too fast.. too heavy) can leave you being medivac'ed!

I'd seriously consider using AICarriers and the non-Java version (.net) if at all possible. This way, you can call up the carrier whenever you want, wherever you want and dismiss them as quickly. It's very easy to get 'hooked' (pun intended) once you start but it does add a completely different dimension to FSX

ATB
    DaveB

If you are using the Just Flight Wildcat there's a tweak for the hook to stop it nosing over, or the Flying Stations Swordfish is very docile.

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    If you are using the Just Flight Wildcat there's a tweak for the hook to stop it nosing over, or the Flying Stations Swordfish is very docile.
    I'll bite, I started all this because of the Just Flight Wildcat! Where's/what's the tweak?

Cees

Hi Cees

This was posted by Dave Hasdell in the Corsair thread for the Wildcat..

Make a copy of your aircraft.cfg as a backup.
    Locate this section in the working cfg.
    [TailHook]
    Delete the whole section = 4 lines.
    copy paste this replacement in its place,
    [TailHook]
    tailhook_length = 2.50
    tailhook_position = -20.100, 0.000, -0.500
    cable_force_adjust = 2.0

ATB
    DaveB

Thanks Dave!

Cees

I got it from Rich - I'm afraid I don't have the full name - but the credit is his.

David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    I got it from Rich - I'm afraid I don't have the full name - but the credit is his.

David

Rich Roscoe - passed away last year. RIP.

Thank you. I'll save that for next time someone asks. It's nice to know his contributions survive.

Cees..

The good thing about AICarriers (another good thing) is that you don't need to lob warships in there. Sometimes.. something you like to see will do just as well..

Henrik's stunning Gorch Fock and Erwin's lovely Cutty Sark under the watchful eye of Rick Piper's Sycamore off Cornwall
    ATB
    DaveB
    Last edited by DaveB; July 21st, 2015 at 03:25. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Is there a simple and working WW2 carrier for this sim? I tried a few but the boat is not showing and I'm in the water!

Cees
    http://royalefrenchnavy.perso.sfr.fr/RFN-Navires.htm and scroll down.

To add your own flights, swap a/c and save the flight, then edit it so that "Start on ground=FALSE" so you don't materialise in the water behind the ship. That is from memory, but it's something like that!
    Others are more expert on this than me, but as a complete carrier addict, trying to start a flight with your chosen aircraft on the deck of a moving (i.e., AI based, not scenery blg based) carrier in FSX has always been a hit or miss affair. I have some saved flights from the payware SDB Big E and somwhere else for Javier's Nimitz class, and some of these I have modded or set up on my own. However, more often than not after "load flight" the carrier is missing and the plane is rapidly dropping vertically into the drink. I have also however become quick on the draw using "slew" and "pause" and will then call up a boat in AI Carriers2 (Shift + J) on that spot and then elevate the plane using slew to deck level (it often then plops down a few feet on the deck after releasing slew but with out a crash). Then I give a sigh of relief and get engines turning and wings folding and cats lined up and all that good carrier stuff. But it is a bit of procedure.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

When using carriers on ship tracks.. it's pretty easy to set yourself up say 5nm astern and save that flight. You will always be where you need to be and the carrier will always be there

ATB
    DaveB

Members who have read this thread: 0