Kitty Hawk Class Aircraft Carriers - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Kitty Hawk Class Aircraft Carriers

Yeah, its kind of a trade off. It depends if you are an "inside only" flyer like many are here. I am both in and out and hyper actively am always changing view from VC to outside/spot view and back again, too much of which can result in a OOM or lock up, lol.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Great discussion! I too long for an AI Sea Sprite to go aboard Oriskany - especially with Demons, whales, scooters, and crusaders.

Good news is i have finally solved the issue with modifying the Air Wing textures for Connie, America, and JFK spawns out of the fantastic Aerosoft Kitty Hawk. Still painting which will take some time - and need to ensure i have DSB and Aerosoft permission to use them on their ship "sisters" - not any others.

ATB, Deke

Nice one Deke

I don't think there'll be any restriction on repaints because they're useless without the model. Frank didn't get back on the subject so I wonder if he realised some people use MCX for viewing model paints in much the same way as they'd use FSRepainter

ATB
    DaveB

I always thought the UH-2 was a good all-purpose helo, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention in FS. J.R. Lucariny has a SH-2 LAMPS version for FS9 but that's about all I've seen as freeware. And anyway the LAMPS birds deployed aboard destroyers and frigates, not CV's. SH-3 in HC-1 paint would be a good sub for a plane guard helo on Oriskany​, only a slight difference in time frame.

Thought i would give everyone an update:
    Completed Connie Air Wing (CVW-9) - using the 1978-79 timeframe:
    VF-211 Checkmates F-14A
    VF-24 Renegades F-14A
    VA-146 Blue Diamonds A-7E
    VA-147 Argonauts A-7E
    VA-165 Boomers A-6E
    VS-37 Sawbucks S-3A
    VAW-126 E-2C
    HS-6 Indians SH-3H

And America AirWing (CVW-1) - using the 1982-83 timeframe:
    VF-33 Starfighers F-14A
    VF-102 Diamondbacks F-14A (STILL IN WORK)
    VA-46 Clansmen A-7E
    VA-72 Blue Hawks A-7E
    VA-34 Blue Blasters A-6E
    VS-32 Maulers S-3A
    VAW-123 Screwtops E-2C
    HS-11 Dragonslayers SH-3H

A few screen shots to keep you interested:

VF-33 and VA-72 aboard America

VA-46 and VA-34 aboard America

VA-146 and VF-211 aboard Connie

Cheers,
    Deke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AMERICA AIR WING - CVW-1 -1.jpg   AMERICA AIR WING - CVW-1 -5.jpg   CONNIE AIR WING - CVW-9 -5.jpg  

One more for the road:
    Joe and Dave have very nicely modified the textures to not only add Connie and America to our enjoyment, but John F Kennedy (JFK) as well. Even though her island was somewhat different (smoke/gas stack canted to starboard), she still looks good to me (i made two deployments on her).

Turnover with "Big John"

ATB,
    Deke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TURNOVER WITH JFK.jpg  

Looking good Deke. Big John looks the part from a distance, hopefully Team SDB will also do JFK if it's only a little rework of the island.
    Looking forward to the new airwings.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky722 View Post
    Hi All,
    Still no response from Warren or Gary at the moment I'm afraid guys but I shall keep working through the models and hopefully should have them all ready to go by the time these gents get back to me.

Hooky
    Hooky, any luck with Gary or Warren? I can pm them if you like.
    Completed JFK's air wing (CAG-3) - now working on the instructions for the folders to get the air wings to show up.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fsx 2015-09-01 17-08-32-55.jpg   fsx 2015-08-31 10-29-25-76.jpg   fsx 2015-08-31 11-18-25-76.jpg  

V e r y nice Deke

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I don't think there'll be any restriction on repaints because they're useless without the model. Frank didn't get back on the subject so I wonder if he realised some people use MCX for viewing model paints in much the same way as they'd use FSRepainter

ATB
    DaveB
    Sorry, real world has been a distraction lately. And yea, I use MCX the same way. Much quicker than relaunching the sim over and over. When I first typed I had forgotten that Mark made the deck candy as separate MDLs. I thought someone had chipped away at the carrier to get the deck candy for use elsewhere. Took my chill pill so all is good now.

I saw some discussion on the SeaSprite. Alphasim, er Virtavia, made a nice one. We're also going to include the type on one of the Vietnam era Enterprise's as parked/folded on deck and as flying plane guard. Basic overall blue so not very interesting but will make a nice change from the SeaKing for one of the versions.

[QUOTE=navy81;977977]Hooky, any luck with Gary or Warren? I can pm them if you like.
    Completed JFK's air wing (CAG-3) - now working on the instructions for the folders to get the air wings to show up. [QUOTE]

No joy as yet the Internet has been flakey recently it's possible the messages didn't send I'll try again Later I've got as far as all the Forestall class haven't got as far as kitty hawk class yet I'm busy trying to get the hang of deck Park modelling at the moment but as soon as I hear back I'll let you know. If you could send them a Pm and let them know what's going on that would be good I can't guarantee that I'll have Internet access when I get home

Thanks

Hooky

A bit lost in the lines... So, is there a Download link for the improved FPS versions of Kitty Hawk's (there was but removed)?
    The only working link seams to be in first page of this thread.
    Or is it going to be payware ?...
    My Military Flight Videos :

Quote Originally Posted by xpelekis View Post
    A bit lost in the lines... So, is there a Download link for the improved FPS versions of Kitty Hawk's (there was but removed)?
    The only working link seams to be in first page of this thread.
    Or is it going to be payware ?...
    The updated models we're talking about are for the Freeware Forestall\ Kitty Hawk models available here on SOH and these updates have NOT been uploaded yet. I can't this before I have the permission of the original authors. The Payware model that has been mentioned in this thread is a completely different model (available with the Aerosoft F-14 I believe) This has nothing to do with the updates in question.

Hooky

The updated models we're talking about are for the Freeware Forestall\ Kitty Hawk models available here on SOH and these updates have NOT been uploaded yet.
    Copy that Hooky - stay with it mate!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Well, Upon completion of the flight deck on Gary's Midway '75 last night I'm fairly certain now that I've cracked it! no frame rate issues.
    Hooky, any news on fixing the frame rate issues with these various freeware carriers?

Still no contact.....wait out...... I guess? lol

Hooky

Do you need the original code from them or just IP consent?

I think it's a matter of consent mate. Warren was keen to have someone take it on so I don't think there'll be a problem. Can't see Gary minding either though I'd be keen to wait formal approval from both too

ATB
    DaveB

OK, as this is freeware and if due credit for authorship is given clearly, can that really be a big deal? Haven't read the EULA etc so may not be with the program . .

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    OK, as this is freeware and if due credit for authorship is given clearly, can that really be a big deal? Haven't read the EULA etc so may not be with the program . .
    It's always best to actually get written permission than to simply imply that you feel you have it by just giving credit. That said, if you can't get it then you don't have it.

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I think it's a matter of consent mate. Warren was keen to have someone take it on so I don't think there'll be a problem. Can't see Gary minding either though I'd be keen to wait formal approval from both too

ATB
    DaveB
    Dave's correct it's permission I'm waiting on. look guys I hear you I do I would love to post the files up now but we've got to play it by the book the last thing we want is for either author to pop up and take exception to what I've done and then the files get taken down (Not that Rami would even clear them without
    Concent) nobody gets them and I get banished from the SOH for uploading without consent.
    Btw whilst we are on the subject I haven't been able to get a reply from Mark AKA roger_wilco for the corsair deck deck park yet either anyone have any details for him

Cheers

Hooky

Hooky..

This is from the Static Corsair thread posted by Mark..
    There are all kinds of static corsairs in the Solomon 1943 package, see links below! Feel free to use them, but please assign new GUIDs to the models when you extract them out of the bgls and add them to another.
    ATB
    DaveB

Thanks Dave I missed that too busy looking at the hoards of models in the screenies pondering which one to choose I'll get that posted tonight most likely

Hi Hooky,

Sorry for not getting back to you. Lots of work stuff for the past few months has meant very little time to visit this site. I've been catching up with my PMs and some of the threads I've missed.

I've no problem with you uploading your updates to Midway and Oriskany. I built them for the community on this site as people were asking for something to fill the gap. If they need a mod to make them compatible with some peops PCs then it's fine with me.

My only request is that you only upload here at the outhouse. I wouldn't want them uploaded anywhere else.

Also, a couple of comments to some of the theories on the platform issues outlined in this thread:

The build of Midway and Oriskany was not terribly convoluted (which some have commented may have lead to frame rate issues). It was sketchup to MCX as a .dae file, then built as an mdl. No blender involvement in between

The platforms: I added them pretty much the way you did. When I look at midway on my version of MCX I only have 92 platforms not 3000 +. Now, I would caveat that I use an older version of MCX (for stability reasons) so maybe there is something funny with platforms when you take an mdl built in an older version of MCX and open in a newer version. I doubt it though and I'm just speculating....maybe it's something I've screwed up in the model I zipped up and uploaded. Either way you have a fix for it, and it's something I need to look into should I do the same for my next model.

Anyway, cheers for fixing the issue.
    Gary

Members who have read this thread: 3