No more fried food in the USN chow halls...

Thread: No more fried food in the USN chow halls...

No more fried food in the USN chow halls...

Yet another reason I am glad I retired years ago.

No more fried foods in USN chow halls/mess decks. They are "going green".

The reaction from the sailors, is understandably not favorable. The off base fast food restaurants will surely benefit from this idiotic decision. NC

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...-food-sailors/

Michelle's School Lunch program joins the Navy!

Can't wait to see her version of MRE's!

Quote Originally Posted by p3aewguy View Post
    Michelle's School Lunch program joins the Navy!

Can't wait to see her version of MRE's!

Most likely things like dehydrated fruit, and powdered soy milk. Oh yummy.... NC

Icon9 I'm with you Navy Chief...

...I was in the Air Force but, I imagine its chow halls can't be too far behind. The Air Force has already done away with clubs (Airman's, NCO's, and Officer's ) on base. Can you imagine not being able to have somewhere to go on base and share a couple drinks with your buddies. Me either.

RD

WHAT?!?!

No more sliders? What's our Navy coming to? Next they'll say no more gedunk!

Thanks, NC!

Mark
    (2nd generation Navy)
    "Even the best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there, and even then, they're still not sure."-- Frank Bama

I guess they won't be serving "bug juice" on deployments anymore either. I mean, after all, all that sugar would not be good, eh? They will have to spend more money and provide real fruit juice!

Yeah, right. No more cakes, donuts, or any other types of fattening pastries of course.

Our Navy will be SO healthy! And the retention rate will be higher than ever! NC

Even 30 years ago the club was not the place to really unwind, I can't imagine what it is like now but I imagine it would be similar to one of the "mandatory fun" squadron get togethers, there is lots more to do outside now, who would want to pay dues.
    With the push to keep a fit military and dealing with alcohol abuse it is rather hypocritical to officially serve both.
    I would find it difficult to serve in today's military but I am sure some old timer was saying the same about us.
    The end product still seems to get the job done and that is what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by joe bob View Post
    Even 30 years ago the club was not the place to really unwind, I can't imagine what it is like now but I imagine it would be similar to one of the "mandatory fun" squadron get togethers, there is lots more to do outside now, who would want to pay dues.
    With the push to keep a fit military and dealing with alcohol abuse it is rather hypocritical to officially serve both.
    I would find it difficult to serve in today's military but I am sure some old timer was saying the same about us.
    The end product still seems to get the job done and that is what matters.
    I agree with a lot of your points, but the retention rate is dropping, and the morale is at serious low levels already. Things like this may seem minor, but not when combined with so many other changes. It's just crazy. Political correctness is ruining so many aspects of military life. NC

As I said Chief, I don't think I could deal with it.
    I don't see how they retain as many as they do now, what with the brutal deployment schedule these guys have these days.
    No matter how good the wife is, you have to know it is going to have a negative effect on the kids eventually.
    That alone would have me climbing the walls

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I agree with a lot of your points, but the retention rate is dropping, and the morale is at serious low levels already. Things like this may seem minor, but not when combined with so many other changes. It's just crazy. Political correctness is ruining so many aspects of military life. NC
    Only military life NC?
    MickeyD

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
    Only military life NC?
    Well, no, but that's what I started the thread about! Political correctness is infecting all aspects of life here in the U.S. Not meant to be a "political" statement. I mean, it is a fact! NC

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rdaniell View Post
    The Air Force has already done away with clubs (Airman's, NCO's, and Officer's ) on base.
    RD
    The clubs are still around. The difference that they're not supported by Non-Appropriated Funds anymore - meaning pretty much that they must generate a profit like other civilian businesses...

Yep. I think the CPO club (actually a lounge) is only open one day a week, for a few hours, onboard NAS Pensacola. I remember when it was constantly busy, every day. Sad.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Yep. I think the CPO club (actually a lounge) is only open one day a week, for a few hours, onboard NAS Pensacola. I remember when it was constantly busy, every day. Sad.
    The military member stopped supporting them & chose to go to off base establishments instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    The military member stopped supporting them & chose to go to off base establishments instead...
    Well, there's that, but another reason for their decline was DUIs on base. The base cops would lay in wait, next to the club and watch people coming out. Just the threat of being stopped was a big reason for many not to even go.

NC

Members who have read this thread: 1