Couple of Questions...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of Questions...

Couple of Questions...

Hi all,

Where in the CFS2 main folder are the "instructions" as to what UIRES screen to look for? Additionally, why are some UIRES in jpeg format while others are in bitmap? I know the country.cfg tells what nationality screen to load, for example, but what tells the sim to load the splash screen?

I was looking on Amazon and found several versions of Paint Shop Pro. Since I've never done any "skinning" before, I don't want to commit a large amount of money to an initial purchase. That said, I found PSP X5 for Windows 7/Vista/XP for $21 USD and was wondering if this would be an ok beginners version?

Thanks in advance for your input,

TW
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon Willy View Post
    Hi all,

Where in the CFS2 main folder are the "instructions" as to what UIRES screen to look for? Additionally, why are some UIRES in jpeg format while others are in bitmap? I know the country.cfg tells what nationality screen to load, for example, but what tells the sim to load the splash screen?

I was looking on Amazon and found several versions of Paint Shop Pro. Since I've never done any "skinning" before, I don't want to commit a large amount of money to an initial purchase. That said, I found PSP X5 for Windows 7/Vista/XP for $21 USD and was wondering if this would be an ok beginners version?

TW
    I have Paint Shop Pro Photo x3 and love it. Its a big stepup from psp8 that I used in the past. I tried X5 but my XP machine didn't like it. If you have the computer that can handle it you'll be fine.

So what exactly are you wanting to do with the UIRES?

I've been working on some WWI Belgian UIRES and have notices that all of the mission results images are jpg. Where many of the ranks and medals are bmps. I think most of the jpg will overlay the bmps.

CK may be able to shed more light onto the subject.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Hi Blood_Hawk23,

After initially planning an all-inclusive Korean War install, I've created three: USAF, USN, and Royal Navy. At the moment, I'm hooked on Fox Four's Ocean Fury missions, and using Martin Wright's screen capture and mksplash programs, along with Window's "Paint" and made a couple of RN screens for that install. Unfortunately, the screen captures come out in jpeg format and may be required to be converted to bitmap in order to be recognized by the sim. I have to use the mksplash to compress the bitmap, but I lose some of the sharpness of the screen capture in the process.

I like the Fox Four UIRES, but I would like to take a stabe at creating some of my own. Furthermore, I would like to do (or should I say try) a couple of skins for several "substitute" aircraft I'm using in place of the FF a/c.

The computer I'm using has Vista OS.

Kind regards,

TW

When I did UIRES if fround that .BMPs have to be saved with Imagetool as 555 format or drop them down to 256 color for them to work right. (DXTbmp can't be used as it can't save un-square images) .JPGs can be a pain as geting them do display transparent parts is hit or miss. Also BMPs can have transparent as well.

I still use old PSP6 and it worked just fine for me.

The main images like the splash screen are likely coded into some part of the game. What file has that data I don't know. Also the CD check images are fround in the main folder (the Zero/Hellcat loading). 00000409.016 is a 16 color .bmp and 00000409.256 is a 256 color .bmp. Both can be opened with just about any paint program edited than saved.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

as far as Uires dealing with a country look at the country.cfg.

Here is a quick example of what is being called for in my WWI install for the British...

rank_images=FS.bmp, WO2nd.bmp, WO1st.bmp, 2ndLieut.bmp, Lieut.bmp, Capt.bmp, Major.bmp
    ;Debrief images: alive, crashed, shot down, captured, rescued, died in bailout, aborted
    debrief_images=scr_db_landed_safe_bri.jpg, scr_db_crashed_bri.jpg, scr_db_shot_down_bri.jpg, scr_db_bailed_bri.jpg, scr_db_ditched_bri.jpg, scr_db_shot_down_bri.jpg, scr_db_bailed_bri.jpg
    outcome_images=out_back_at_base_bri.jpg, out_back_at_base2_bri.jpg, out_failure_bri.jpg, out_wounded_bri.jpg, out_death1_bri.jpg, out_death2_bri.jpg, out_death3_bri.jpg, out_submarine_bri.jpg, out_captured_bri.jpg, out_warning_bri.jpg, out_promotion_bri.jpg, out_commendation_bri.jpg, out_failure_bri.jpg
    screen_images=scr_nationality_bri.bmp, scr_singlemission_bri.bmp, scr_briefing_bri.bmp, scr_selectpilot_bri.bmp, scr_trainingmission_amer.bri, scr_squadron_bri.bmp, scr_advancedinfo_bri.jpg, scr_advancedinfo_bri.jpg, dlg_pilotdetails_bri.bmp, dlg_certificate_bri.bmp
    scuttlebutt_images=dlg_scuttlebutt_bri.bmp

I think for some of these you can change the to jpg or bmp. I'm not sure though.

Unless your replacing the stock UIRES you'll have to add this to a new country. Make sure everything is labeled correctly. I want to do an Australian set for Korea. I think I'll use some of the setup from the Defense of Australia Campaign as a starting point.

In the info folder is also a list of all of the Scuttlebutt and outcome text. It would be interesting to play with it.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

If you need a copy of image tool let us know. Anyone who uses Gmax should have a copy.

Icon22

Hi all,

TW
    Hi Willy,
    Before You pay $21 USD, try "GIMP", it is completely FREE (it is downloadable from Web) and is very similar to Adobe Photoshop....

From the The Paint Shop_Skinnin' Your Game! fourm and Tips and Resources thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Paint programs you can use to paint planes with, that support painting with layers.

Payware: Photoshop: http://www.photoshop.com/

Paint Shop Pro: http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...id=prod4130078

Freeware: Gimp: http://www.gimp.org/

Paint(not the Micro Soft one): http://www.getpaint.net/
    Also I know of somthing call openCanvas. It was free last time I went looking around for paint programs.

Hi Guys,

Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

Blood_Hawk23: Yep, I understand about labeling country.cfg UIRES properly, in my case, with a "bri" suffix rather than jpn or amer suffix. I think I switched some bitmap UIRES to jpeg in this instance. I would be interested to see your UIRES for Australia in Korea. I seem to recall reading they also had a carrier (HMAS Sydney?) on station (with Sea Furies), not to mention the RAAF 77 Sqn on shore bases. The Fox Four team made UIRES for the Soviet Air Force, I thought a set for the NKPAF, South Korean Air Force, and possibly the Chinese may be in order, but that's down the road for me at the moment.

Allen: Thanks for the info, I did not know about the situation regarding DXTbmp only being able to process square images, good to know.

MVG3D: I did go to the paint forums and saw the link to the GIMP website. I was reluctant to try this program as I have not heard other painters talk about using this program, however, perhaps it may be in my best interest (and my wallet's) to give it a try. As with anything new, it seems one sometimes hesitates to "dive in".

Kind regards to all,

TW

Hi TW,

There is also this package put together to make splash screens, though a paint program is is still needed.

cfs2sst

Cheerz, Dave

Ok, I've downloaded and installed Gimp 2.8 and decided to try and repaint the skins for the Fox Four Sea Fury drop tanks. They show up as dark grey and I wanted to see if I could change the color to that of the underside of the wings and fuselage. Using the plane's texture file named "SF_Wings" as my "source" color, I used a tool to copy the color and then used a "fill" tool and filled in the tanks (file name UWtanks_16) in the SceneDB -weapons - texture folder. This was one of three textures that came with the FF Sea Fury weapons. I exported the new texture as a bitmap (256x256), then used DXTbmp and saved it as 16 bit 565 file. Loaded CFS2, selected the plane with the tanks load out and.......still dark grey. Just for the heck of it, I moved all the weapons texture files into a different folder, Started CFS2, selected the FF Sea Fury w/ tanks and they STILL show up the same dark grey. Hmmmm. So it must be the .bgl for the wep_sea_fury_45gal_droptanks is calling on a texture from a different location (maybe the main CFS2 texture folder?). If so, where and what file name?

Thanks in advance for your help,

TW

You may be able to open the bgl with Model Converter X. If you can once it is loaded on the top is a material box that you can click on and it will list each material that the shown model is using and it will list textures with the material.

Hi Allen,

I downloaded and installed Model Converter X, there is a tool called "Missing Texture Finder", however, it appears there is no missing texture. I was unable to open the .bgl as you described. It is to my understanding that a color or colors may be hard coded into a model, and wonder if that was done here as well as the bomb and rocket pylons (they are grey as well).

Kind regards,

TW

Hi Allen,

I downloaded and installed Model Converter X, there is a tool called "Missing Texture Finder", however, it appears there is no missing texture. I was unable to open the .bgl as you described. It is to my understanding that a color or colors may be hard coded into a model, and wonder if that was done here as well as the bomb and rocket pylons (they are grey as well).

Kind regards,

TW
    That would be one of Tango's I'm guessing. We can try and make a new one.

Hi BH23,

Yes, this is TR's Sea Fury, here's a screen shot to get a better idea of what I'm talking about:

From all the photos I've seen, the tanks, and probably the bomb pylons as well, matched the color of the underside. The grey just doesn't look right, IMHO.

TW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_008.jpg  

Hi BH23,

Yes, this is TR's Sea Fury, here's a screen shot to get a better idea of what I'm talking about:

From all the photos I've seen, the tanks, and probably the bomb pylons as well, matched the color of the underside. The grey just doesn't look right, IMHO.

TW
    I think its in the material. There is away to change the color but it will never truly match. I can make a new one based on Tango's measurements. Althought I can't use it as a source without his permission. Even with his permission, it can't be uploaded here, due to other reasons.

So, let me know what you would like to do. I want to make the Napalm (Flaming Onion) rockets for the RAAF 77th Sqd anyways. Maybe do up some bombs as well.

I'll send a message to Tango and see what happens with the tanks. The rest I'll consider.

'til Later,
    John

They are not textured but colored by material setting.

I get a details1.bmp...

I'll use it as a reference and create a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    I get a details1.bmp...

I'll use it as a reference and create a new one.

I will do two things. First I'm going to get a texture done up. That will give you some thing to work with. Next I'll email TR and see if he has the correct texture on file.

I've made a VERY basic texture. There will not be much for detail on this. I don't think it will support much detail either.

I may just go with my first plan and make a new one. By doing so I can add detail like the cap and edge of the tank. Maybe add some text on the sides. I can even add LODs if it gets to complex. LOL

I'll finish up the texture and get it to you.

Oh that other texture you mentioned, UWtanks_16, thats for the Meteor. In case you wanted to know.

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to correct this issue. Although you probably wouldn't be able to post the fix here, perhaps Mr. Sanford would allow you to upload it at Simviation. Furthermore, maybe the Fox Four team could either add it to their site or repackage the Sea Fury campaign with the corrected texture. All credit to you for sure!

Kind regards,

TW

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to correct this issue. Although you probably wouldn't be able to post the fix here, perhaps Mr. Sanford would allow you to upload it at Simviation. Furthermore, maybe the Fox Four team could either add it to their site or repackage the Sea Fury campaign with the corrected texture. All credit to you for sure!

Kind regards,

TW
    Sent a message out to TR. It might take a bit to here back from him. In the mean time I'll work on the texture and on a new model. I'll try to finish the texture tonite. The model will be a few days.

Another thing I've been messing with is the "out_submarine" screen and text. I figure that in the event a NATO pilot ejected/bailed out, even over water, he would have probably been picked up by a helicopter, right? I located in a splash screen/loading screen pack, an S-51 helicopter, resized it, renamed it, and installed it. In the Info folder, I found the outcome.config and edited the two outcomes from being rescued by a submarine, to be rescued by a helicopter. Tested it, and worked like a charm. Only problem is that on the debrief screen, it still says rescued by a sub, not sure where to change the text for the debrief screen, or if it can be changed at all.

TW

Same prob with my Euro install. Never found the debrief screen text.

EDIT: I found the text. It is coded in the ai_playr.dll and edited by Hex Editor to now only show "Player rescued". I'm 99% sure that you can't add any new character with out the causing the game to crash so shorting it down worked.

I will check the edited ai_playr.dll some more to make sure all of the text is working right and if it is okay admins I will post the edited ai_playr.dll.
    Last edited by Allen; July 11th, 2015 at 23:42.

Allen,

Thanks for looking in to this!

TW

Members who have read this thread: 0